October 24, 2014

Why don't more shows do Passover episodes?

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 12th 2006 4:19PM
Tonight is the first night of Passover, and in honor of that, I wanted to come up with a list of Passover episodes from my favorite series. But I wracked my brain and came up with very little. Googling "passover" and "episode", or "passover", "seder" and "TV" came up with two examples: a episode of Rugrats (which I always hated) and an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which I've never seen -- I don't have HBO, remember).

It's weird; you'd think with all the fellow members of the tribe that work in Hollywood, we'd see more Passover seders on our televisions. Maybe in the past people thought it was too ethnic to be accepted by mainstream America, and now it may be too traditional. But with the whole "hip to be Jewish" movement these days, you'd think there'd be seders all over TV right now, even if they just consist of Sarah Silverman swearing before saying "pass the gefilte fish."

Am I missing something? Have there been Passover-themed episodes of other shows that I'm not remembering? Let me know in the comments.

Rich Keller

In 1996 the show 'Sisters' aired a seder show entitled "Guess Who's Coming to Seder", which starred 7th Heaven patriarch Stephen Collins. The URL is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701859/.

April 13 2006 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

It's not an episode, just a sketch - but on April 18th, 1992, Jerry Seinfeld played Elijah in a Passover sketch on 'Saturday Night Live'. (I had to go to the SNL Transcripts page for the info: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/ )

Maybe it got hit with a lot of objections, because I don't think it made it to the hour-long repeats and I know it was way funnier than some of the sketches from that same show that did survive the cut.

April 12 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

As to why more shows don't do them, I think you can join the folks over there in the "Why don't game companies release Mac versions of their games?" camp. It is simply a matter of potential audience. So, in a roundabout way, if you want, you can probably blame the whole thing on Microsoft and Walmart!

Happy Passover everyone! :D

April 12 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
creanium

I believe there was an episode of Sports Night where they had a seder in the conference room. It was run by Dan and Jeremy.

April 12 2006 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
schleifnet

Sports night!

April 12 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Crawford

There was an episode of The O.C. during season one that featured a Seder meal. The premise is that Sandy's mother is coming in from New York suddenly and the family has to scramble to pull the feast together. One of my all-time favorite O.C. lines is from this episode where Sandy charges in and declares "We've got to get all the bread out of the house!".

April 12 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

This may be going back a bit, but I remember that "St. Elsewhere" had a Passover seder...possibly more than one, in different years. I think I remember one in the hospital, and one at Dr. Auschlander's home.

April 12 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply