October 1, 2014

South Park: Cartoon Wars (Part Two)

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 13th 2006 11:12AM

cartman(S10E04) This episode of South Park, like the last one, was so densely layered that if I were to start picking it apart for the purposes of this review I would risk becoming lost in my own navel, so I'm not going to do that, because it would bore both you and I to death. Also, to be perfectly honest, I haven't made up my mind about the episode. So what you're going to get is my random reflections.

First of all, revealing that Family Guy is written by a tankful of manatees who push "idea balls" into a "joke combine" was the quintessential South Park gag, and the reason I still keep watching even after ten years. Not only was it a clever and irreverent jab at Family Guy, it also makes a point about freedom of speech, as the manatees refuse to write if they're denied to use even one idea. Speaking of freedom of speech, I loved the scene in which President Bush has to explain to reporters what the First Amendment is.

I also loved the irony of Cartman using terrorism to try and get Family Guy off the air, and the sissy slap fight between him and Kyle was the perfect embodiment of the pointlessness of arguing over the merits of Family Guy, or any other cartoon. The final scene, in which the terrorist retaliate by making a cartoon in which President Bush, Jesus, and others crap on themselves and the American flag was a clever way of saying that everything and everyone is fair game, not just Muhammed (who was never shown, but whatever, the point is still taken).

dave

Hey kind of off topic... but to all of the people that think that Matt & Trey really think they're better than Seth McFarlane, I remember a point in this episode where south park actually calls themselves out. When Kyle gets a ride to the FOX headquarters, the guy who gives him a ride says something to the effect of, "Go get them Kyle, I like Family Guy. i mean sure it may be a series of interchangable jokes, but at least they aren't all up their own asses in trying to teach a lesson". I realize this is not the direct quote, but that is basically what he said. Whatever I thought it was interesting. Anyone else remember that part?

April 17 2006 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gordievsky

Here is an uncensored image. Looks legit to me.

April 15 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Timmy O'Toole

Sign the Petition to demand Comedy Central shows Muhammad

Come and sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/ccentral/ :

To: Comedy Central
We, the South Park fans and freedom lovers of the world, demand that Comedy central re-air the South Park episode "Cartoon Wars II" with the image of the prophet (sic) Muhammad (also spelled Mohammad) uncensored.

Please announce this petition everywhere

April 14 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

As someone who sometimes thinks they go to far but laughs because they are equal oppertunity offenders,
I was really disgusted that CC wouldn't let them show the Mo-man.
I think this shows Comedy Central hates Christians and America, and is too cowardly to pick on everyone.

April 14 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

This two-parter was phenomenal. So multi-layered, it took me a while to wrap my head around. I like how manatees have a greater sense of freedom than we do! It's interesting that the first part made us think it was a rip on family guy and our sensationalist culture (am I mistaken or did only ONE American newspaper print that Danish cartoon?). Then, the second part goes and validates, in a sense, Family Guy by equally denegrading South Park. So it's no longer about what's good enough/funny enough, it's about everyone trying to tiptoe around freedom of speech and expression so that no one gets offended.

I'm on the fence about that censorship note because if Matt and Trey put it there intentionally, they're being too cautious (not wanting to offend) but making fun of Comedy Central in the process. If, however, Comedy Central put it there, it makes the network look too cautious and it (along with the context of the episode) reflects badly on CC's integrity.

I loved the exchange between the Pres and the press. Good commentary on how those who make the most use of the first ammendment sometimes lose sight of what it really means.

BTW, when did Terrence get so fat? Was that in that behind the music style episode?

April 14 2006 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James W.

Another funny fact about this episode is the fact that the Muslim prophet Muhammed was already featured prominently in one of the South Park episodes. "Super Best Friends" OAD: 07/04/2001. I guess in 2001 showing muhammed wasn't a problem?

April 13 2006 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce Wayne-Johnson

Posters #16 and 17 - you two are the biggest nerds ever..haha..your quick replies made me LOL for sure.

The best thing about South park is that their comedy is INFECTIOUS and everybody gets funnier by watching it...

MATT AND TREY ARE GODS!

April 13 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickstar1

it was a real censor by comedy central. it is a true disgrace to free speech and outright submission to the threat of the 'religion of peace'

April 13 2006 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Poingly

Sometimes, censorship is funny. Imagine if you will, this South Park episode uncensored; you'd have Muhammad hand Peter Griffin a football helmet...not very funny. Instead with censorship, you have a cut away scene that ties into the theme of the episode, mimics how South Park is censored in syndication, etc.

Television has always found creative ways around censorship to et their point across. I'm not a fan of censorship, but I am always amazed by the work-arounds.

April 13 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply