July 23, 2014

Before They Were TV Stars: Ethan Suplee

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 14th 2006 3:44PM
Ethan SupleeHow do I know it's a holiday? When I find myself watching reruns of Boy Meets World on ABC Family (I usually have the YES simulcast of the Mike and the Mad Dog radio show on during the afternoons --  nice background noise while I do my work -- but they're off today). In the episode I watched, I saw a couple of people who would become future stars, ironically much bigger than any of the kids who were the stars of that show (I mean, has anyone heard from the person who played Topanga lately?).

One was Brittany Murphy, who played Topanga's best friend Trini. The second, and more surprising, find was Ethan Suplee, who currently steals every scene as Randy in My Name Is Earl. He played Frankie Stechino, half of a bully team that terrorized the school. It was tough to recognize Ethan at first, because he was much heavier back then (the episode was from 1995) than he is now. But I thought he was pretty funny; he put on a wiseguy accent and did a good job of being a "smart" thug. He and his partner, Joey the Rat, even did a nice little take on Reservoir Dogs. You could definitely see the comic potential in Ethan just from those scenes. Good thing he dropped some weight, though; he was unhealthily heavy back then. I can't imagine anyone else playing Randy, know what I mean?

Nic

Hey Mattjh,

Not sure if we're allowed to link to other sites but here is the picture with Topanga and Britney. I'll let you make the call on sadness: http://forum.phun.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5041

April 16 2006 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattjh

"I saw a paparazzi photo the other day of Topanga (Danielle Fischel) hanging out with Britney Spears. It was a little sad. Let me know if anyone wants the pics cause I could probably track them down..."

I'd kinda like to see that. Sad how?

April 14 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nic

April 14 2006 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison

Rider Strong (who played Cory's best friend Shawn on Boy Meets World) is now on Pepper Dennis.

April 14 2006 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

wrong Suplee brother Shawn S

you retard its a sailboat!

April 14 2006 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ManiacJoe

As a side note, on "Boy Meets World," Ethan was on a few other episodes of the series. His character is also the fictional son of real-life pro-wrestler Vader.

April 14 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam E

And don't forget Suplee was in American History X as well.

April 14 2006 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shawn s

and he still cant see the schooner....

April 14 2006 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

There's an episode in which Frankie writes poetry while Cory and Sean hang out with Frankie's dad who is a professional wrestler. It's so funny!

April 14 2006 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

Even though he doesn't like to be reminded of it; the actor that played Joey the Rat performs for the indie rock band, Rilo Kiley.

April 14 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply