October 30, 2014

I think Al Roker's funny. Is there something wrong with me?

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 14th 2006 11:32AM
Al RokerGod help me, but for some reason, I've always thought Al Roker was funny. Whenever I've seen him on the Today show, especially in the third-hour segment that he co-hosts, he always seems to make a joke or two that's goofy but kind of snide at the same time.

For instance, this morning, he was hosting a cooking segment that used artichokes. The cook mentioned that when you take off the artichoke leaves, you rub the bottoms with lemon so they don't turn black. "You might even want to rub lemon on your hands so the black doesn't get on them either," he said.

"Well, it's a little too late for me, but..." Al shot back, causing the crew to break out in laughter.

See what I mean? That was funny! And a little edgy (I mean, if Chappelle can do racial humor, why not Al?). He just seems like one of those guys who would make a lot of dumb jokes at lunch that all somehow make you laugh, even when you know you shouldn't.

Am I off-base here? Do I need a sense of humor transplant? Let me know in the comments.

MrWeen

You think Seifeld and Conan would have him on their shows if he wasn't funny These guys know funny!

April 15 2006 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

I watch the today show every day. I think Al is extremely funny. In fact I miss him when he is not on. I find him,loving, caring and kind. However I think his sense of humor is his best quality.

April 14 2006 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Oh man, I'm so going to get on you for this in the next podcast we do. I think Al thinks he's way funnier than he is, and I've seen him make more jokes that fall completely flat than those that make me laugh.

April 14 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

That joke is funny - i won't try get you institutionalized.

April 14 2006 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I think Al is funny. I get a kick out of him. I think that he pushes the envelope for a morning news show, but that is what keeps me tuned in.

I love Al, Matt, Katie and Ann. Too bad the foursome is going to break up soon.

Thanks!

April 14 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Timberlake

I don't think his comments are funny, but when he fell during the huricane, I definally did laugh.

April 14 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply