October 24, 2014

Adult Swim to air Saved By The Bell

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 17th 2006 10:06AM
Saved By The BellIt was about a week ago. Late at night. Insomnia had wretchedly peeled back my eyelids. I forced myself to stay in bed and try to get some sleep, but I allowed the TV to stay on. Adult Swim gently blinked on the screen. After a few more hours, I could feel insomnia letting up. Finally. Sleep. The shadows on my wall danced to the changing images on the screen. Ah. A commercial about Saved By The Bell coming to Adult Swim -- Wait a second. Saved By The Bell? On a late-night cartoon channel? I panicked. The shadows on the wall surrounded me. The commercial was still on the screen. I helplessly flailed my arms. Immediately, my limbs became tangled in my sheets. My mind raced. "Does not compute! Does not compute!" And that was when my spinal column leapt up and throttled my brain. True story.

I wasn't hallucinating, and neither were you. Adult Swim really is going to air a bunch of Saved By The Bell episodes. No joke. They've just announced a schedule (and I see they've put [crappy 1980's live action tv show network] at the bottom right hand corner during some of their programming). I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why they're doing this instead of doing a Venture Bros. marathon and making me a happy girl, but I'm sure it's all part of Adult Swim's master plan to take over the world. Or they're just being silly.

Greg

It was bad enough that AS split up Futurama and Family Guy. These two shows alone are strong, but together I thought they were a ratings powerhouse. It irrated me when they split 'em up. Now this SBTB crap. What the Hell? Now all I have to look forward to is when AS/Cartoon Net loses Futurama and FG and some other network picks 'em up. First Name MOE, Second Name RON.

April 27 2006 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angie

Just wanted to add my 2 cents that this was a disappointing decision. I liked saved by the bell back in the day but absolutely dont want to see it on adult swim.

April 26 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luther

My guess is that it has been a complete and utter failure. Ohterwise we would have seen the little ratings blurbs.

Ordinarily, my set is locked onto AS from 10 to 3 am. Now, i can't deal with the thought that I might see that reprehensable "screech" for one minute. Bye Bye swim. I'll watch something else.

April 26 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

HIP HIP HOORAY!
I haven't watched cartoon network for about 4 years and I never liked it since. But tonight I was flipping through channel and I saw Saved by the Bell. And I was like NOOOOO WAY! So I tuned on (currently) and started researching why this was on, on the internet. I can't wait for the new line up. I never watch Cartoon Network now I have a reason to remind it on my tv and watch it from now on.
P.S. Bring back more Classics!

April 25 2006 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam Horne

Perhaps the better questions to ask of A.S. are...

* Who did you lose the bet to?
* What do those secret 'blackmail pictures' depict?
* Is this the backlash from the latest 'Family Research Council' survey?
* Is this yet another "Save Hockey Chicken" stunt?

April 24 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody Underwood

I totally agree with you and really just wanted to say that you had a great Douglas Adams reference in there. I hope that AS just understands that we will change the channel every night for as long as saved by the bell airs.

April 20 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Waningphilosophic

This is the greatest affront by a service provider to a consumer since today's price on crude oil. Adult swim.com has a known issue with posting replies on their message boards, but I seriously and whole heartedly believe they have denied their highly coveted demographic, i.e. Adult Swim fans, the right to air their offense to boot. So, I shall have mine heard here. What doltish, programming simpleton allowed such shit, should be shot and those who supported them be, "ousted" like the idiot-child clods they are. You have ruined a good thing. I question everything I ever laughed at. EF, Saved by the bell and its "Circus of the Television Network Stars" schlock production quality. Let the nit-wit bastard who is responsible be known to all. You are no longer funny Adult Swim - You are kitsch. And kitsch aint cool, its effin furniture. Which is what my TV has reverted back to since this pathetic and reprehensible choice.

April 19 2006 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Waningphilosophic

April 19 2006 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

i just hope they s how the ridiculous episodes, i.e. jessie spanno on drugs(ahem caffeine pills)

April 18 2006 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I first heard the news of the imminent "Saved by the Bell" invasion while half-asleep, and assumed someone was doing a cutting-edge post-modern animated take on the series. Then a few days later, fully awake, I saw that [as] is screening the actual shows.

I really feel this is a mistake. It feels like the sort of doomed watershed moment epitomized by the first airing of "The Real World" on MTV. Several years later, there wasn't a music video to be found on Music Television.

I also feel they've misread their audience. IS thsi going to be ironically amusing to their entire demographic? I know that [as] technically is supposed to appeal to young males, but that's not where it ends. For example, I'm a 47-year-old woman with a major jones for [as] series--I have no nostalgic connection to "Saved by the bell," and will only be pissed off by having it forced on me when I could be watching "Venture Brothers," or "Moral Orel," or "Samurai Champloo." Seriously--I would even prefer "Tom Goes to the Mayor" to "Saved by the Bell."

April 17 2006 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply