April 24, 2014

Doctor Who series two opener attracts eight million

by Martin Conaghan, posted Apr 17th 2006 6:23PM

Doctor WhoBBC News is reporting that the series two opener of Doctor Who, New Earth, starring David Tennant as the 10th Doctor, attracted over eight million viewers to BBC ONE in the U.K. on Easter Saturday.

The audience peaked at around 8.3 million viewers, not taking in to account those who had recorded the show to watch it later.

It was up against Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on ITV1, which netted around five million viewers in all.

9.4 million people tuned in to The Christmas Invasion towards the end of 2005, and 10 million tuned in to watch the opening episode of the season revival last year when Christopher Eccleston stepped into the Time Lord's Tardis for the first episode of the series in over 16 years.

TODD

WHY DID THEY REPLACE THE DOCTOR FOR SEASON TWO? WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER MODEL-TYPE TO BE IN THE STARRING ROLE. BRING BACK THE DOCTOR OF SEASON ONE

May 22 2006 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenny

I liked the episode but I think that they possibly picked the wrong one to start a series. They should have gone for something more action packed like next week's looks.

April 19 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

ps. Last year's return of the series wasn't the first episode in 16 years. That honor belongs to the tv movie (which is canon) from 1996. 9 year gap. You know, McGann was the 8th Doctor, Eccestlon the 9th, and Tennant the 10th. Thanks for playing!

April 18 2006 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

I liked it quite a bit, and I'm here in America. Great sequel to last season's "The End of the World" episode. As far as I'm concerned, Tennant made the role his in this outing. Of course, I think he's playing the role just as how Paul McGann would have had the *Doctor Who* television movie had been successful enough (in the States) to relaunch the series back in 1996.

I really hope the SciFi Channel decides to plow right through Season Two right after they wrap up Season One in late June.

Remember, *Doctor Who* is being televised here in the States on the SciFi Channel at 9pm on SciFi Friday.

April 18 2006 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MEERA

I just wanna say this this episode was AWESOME!

April 18 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fence

I'm not a Dr. Who fan. I've only ever seen one or two random episodes, but I tuned in for this one. I quite enjoyed it. nothing overly spectacular, but very watchable.

And the trailers for next week promise werewolves, so I'll have to watch that one.

April 18 2006 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Ghent

what a trip! It summer soon no time for t.v. Going out side enjoying the weather.

April 18 2006 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

well matt, have to disagree with you.

Ive been a Who fan for years and I am a yank. I have LOVED the new series and found Chris E to be "fantastic" as a new Doctor. Each Doc has added something new and different to the mythos. Its people like you who disgust true fans who eat up all that is Doctor Who. Is David T terrible? Hell no, but we have only had 1.5 episodes to judge him by so give the man a chance. This episode was a great opener and a great continuation with Rose and the future of the show.

And the fact you like drivel like "Medium" just shows what kind of a freak you actually are.

April 17 2006 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattjh

I was one of those 8 million, although I thought it was crap. It's sad that this gets viewers and the great American imports (such as the wonderfully understated Medium) are treated badly by the BBC and fail to find an audience.

April 17 2006 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply