October 22, 2014

Katie Holmes gives birth to a girl

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 18th 2006 8:49PM
tom cruise; katie holmesFormer Dawson's Creek actress Katie Holmes gave birth to a baby girl today, according to People magazine. Katie and her fiance, Tom Cruise, named the little girl Suri, which means 'red rose' in Persian and 'princess' in Hebrew.

Their daughter was 7 pounds, 7 ounces and 20 inches long.

Coincidentally, Brooke Shields also gave birth to a baby girl today. Her daughter's name is Grier.

Ashlee

Congratulations on you new born baby. I always new that you were going to have a girl instead of a boy Katie. What made you come up with a name Suri for a girls name? You have always been my favourite actor and always will be. Please reply back to that please.

April 21 2006 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harps

i think suri is a beautiful name, it would definetly match the baby girl. i'm glad they have found lots of happiness now but i hope Tom doesn't forget his other two children!!

April 21 2006 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ola

oh my God!!!! this is great for the cruise family and am so happy for the couple. i hope the baby will be as cute as her mother.

April 19 2006 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kira Richardson

I am happy for both couples, and Suri and Grier are nice names (not as whacked as many Holloywood baby names have been).

I do think it is fascinating that Tom and Brooke had their daughters on the same day. I think that might be a little universal Karma for both of them. LOL!

Congrats to all!

April 19 2006 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.A. McKimmy

I think Grier is a great name! Much better than Apple! That poor little girl will HAVE to use another one as she gets older and how she'll ever make it through school without being teased to death is beyond me. I wish Tom and Katie the best. Hope Ms. Kidman finds happiness soon also!

April 19 2006 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Tweag #3 - I'm sure the legendary screen actress Greer Garson would disagree with your assessment of her name. Not a common name but surely better than Kal-el Coppola Cage.

April 19 2006 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDY

can he stay off the couch now?

April 19 2006 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

so, Tom's baby is already taller than he is.

April 18 2006 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

I figured they would have "prolonged" her birth until MI3 came out. And what kind of stupid name is Grier? its not even a good last name (Greer rhymnes with queer, :() And Suri is that much better.

April 18 2006 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Teullive

Whew! I'm glad they had a girl. The world isn't ready for L.Ron Cruise.

P.S Is it true Katie was as quiet and still as the cement Britney?

April 18 2006 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply