July 22, 2014

Ask TV Squad: Whatever happened to Eyes?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 19th 2006 12:44PM
EyesTV Squad reader Teri asks:

"Whatever happened to the ABC show Eyes?"

Thanks, Teri, for opening up an old, painful wound. I thought I had forgotten all about Eyes, the fantastic, quirky private eye series starring Tim Daly that ABC ran for a few episodes last year. And now you've gone and reminded all of us that it's gone. It's like an acid flashback.

Sorry to say that ABC, in its infinite wisdom, pulled the critically-acclaimed show after only a few episodes. Why? Well, I guess it was a ratings reason, but it's especially painful because they never gave the show a chance. They never moved it to another time slot or another night. They never burned off the episodes over the summer. It just seemed to vanish very quickly. If I'm not mistaken, the show was replaced on the schedule for a while by Wife Swap or Who Wants To Eat Bugs With A Supernanny or some other show. Talk about a kick in the teeth.

And the worst part? This is one of those shows you'll probably never hear from again. They won't show up on ABC Family, they won't show up on iTunes, and they won't show up on DVD. Ever. I think some fans have said it might be available vit bittorrent or overseas, so maybe you can get lucky there.

For the record, I picked Eyes as the best show of the year last year.

Mark S.

.......A question.....

'''Why do shows blossom in syndication because of different comeptition..or time slot or what...

..Becker (with Ted danson) was only a minor hit on CBS but is a monster in syndication from what I undestand..in almost every market in the country..

...Has anyone ever thoght of a seperate 'second chance' cable chanell for shows which have been on four or five years but are being axed by the network... maybe a 'minor league hits' channel where something like 'Veronica Mars' can slide to, stay in production and see if it has more than a cult following. Or where beginning shows that are lower than dirt in the ratings can complete a full year?

....I liked a show called "Hack' about a disgraced police officer who was a cab driver. It didnt get a chance. ..and I thought the Miami Vice-like 'Fastlane' on FOX was very stylish. It got one year.
...
,,Maybe you dont like Pepper Dennis or Emily's Reason's why Not...but somebody might...Dont ax it afer 2 episodes and run 'When Animals Attack' for the next 10 weeks...send it to the 'Second Chance; channel where it can complete a first run of 16-24 shows and see if anybody cares?

What do you think?

May 18 2006 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jodi

I would have thought ABC would continue a show that had a fast growing fan base. Why not give viewers what they want to see? ABC really messed up in not giving Eyes a chance. It would have been more popular then Desperate Housewives. (which I don't like).

April 21 2006 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buttercup

I have not encountered one person who didn't like this show. I still for the life of me cannot figure out what ABC was thinking before giving the show a better chance than they did.

April 20 2006 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darius

Hey I never really saw the show but just from the review I would love to watch it! I must say NBC and ABC are evil bastards when it come to great shows that critics and fans love but just have not found their nitch yet. I loved the show "The Book of Daniel" I watched all 4 episodes that they showed even though the religious right were protesting the show right and left. So when it was cancelled I downloaded it on a bittorrent website and I must say the extra 3 episodes were great and would have made the show!! I hate the Networks, and when will we all rise up against our capitalist masters and take back our really good TV shows that were cancelled before their time!

I pour some of my Old English 40 out for:
"The Book of Daniel"
"Eyes"
"Family Guy" (but then not too much because it did come back)
"Popular" (Daym you WB)

April 20 2006 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AlienTiger

a search for bitsrg will find what you are looking for
the reasoning for the odd numbers, is thats how they were aired in New Zealand :)

April 19 2006 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I am still pissed at ABC for getting rid of it. It was one of the best shows I've seen in... forever.

Look in the usuall places, you can find the unaired episodes.

April 19 2006 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Absolutely agree. ABC never gave this show a chance.

Frankly, the networks have shown some really bad judgement the last few years, yanking shows like Eyes, Love Monkey and such before they even gave them a chance. Nevermind the fact that they stick some of these shows in absolutely horrible time slots.

I fear the same for the latest to the ABC lineup, What About Brian. Again, not bad a premise (while it's been done before), and while it's not polished, the raw quality of it has promise. But with struggling ratings and sticking it in a crappy (i.e., late) 10p.m. time slot, it probably won't get superhuman ratings and ABC will pull it after 4 eps.

Wake up, network execs. The world does not live and die by Nielsen Ratings.

April 19 2006 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

This show was really quite good... The remainder (I believe ALL of the remainder) of the episodes (except for what shows up on episode guides as 1x09 "Police" which, according to rumor, was never actually filmed) were aired in Australia, meaning a total of 12 episodes ran. And yes, they are readily available. Oddly though, the numbers and titles are jumbled and don't correspond to the episode guides that you'll find... But who cares, they're great episodes. Go get them and enjoy them. :-)

April 19 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Like everyone else posting, I agree it was a good show (fun to watch, etc etc.) but I'm not really going to argue that ABC should have tried different time slots. When a network does that (see FOX, Arrested Development) we start to complain that the show failed because they never gave it a regular time slot and always made people chase it around the schedule. I think we all have to resign ourselves to the idea that good shows get cancelled and bad shows stay on forever. Such is life.

April 19 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Sheridan

Well who-da-thunkit!

I thought my wife and I were the only EYES fans out there. I don't know why networks can't offer programs that have unaired episodes online for downloading. They already paid for the show.

My only hope is that there is a lot of crap on DVD...maybe a good show like EYES will turn up someday.

April 19 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply