October 21, 2014

Invasion: Re-Evolution

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 20th 2006 2:33PM

Invasion; ABC(S01E18) I kind of like it when good shows go on hiatus for three or four weeks because when they come back, it makes it that much better. This show is too good, and anyone who says otherwise is crazy. It's got drama, engaging characters, and a great storyline. So much happened in this episode - it was incredible.

At this point, the whole town is on edge. No one knows who's "one of them" and everyone is running around like a bat out of hell. Larkin even runs over a guy who escaped from the local military complex. But hey... wait a tick. Why does the military have people in captivity? I thought the military didn't know anything? Wrong.

After Tom found out about Larkin's run-in, he took it upon himself to do a little snooping and what he found out shocked even him. The military knew about everything, even as far back as Tom's plane crash. All those silver boxes that Larkin saw way back near the beginning of the series? They're all filled with the remains of those who have been "taken." All the men who are in captivity and being tested (dunked in water, electrically shocked, general poking and prodding) were the crew aboard the weather plane that went down in the hurricane. All of them were "taken." Tom is warned clearly though. The powers that be want this to stay quiet or there's nothing stopping them from making Tom a guinea pig too. But I have to wonder... does the military know about Tom and Szura's island? I don't think they do.

On Szura's island, Russell and Dave find Derek and Christina's bodies. It looked like Christina had her kid(?) because something popped out of her stomach and left a a bloody trail to the ocean. The exiled priest gave Russell some help, but when the coast guard is brought in we realize that Szura's reach is larger than we thought because he shows up with them. That's the one thing I didn't like about this episode. It seemed that everyone was "one of them" just because it made things easier. The coast guard guy, the teacher at Jesse's school. Up until now, we've had a hard time determining who is and isn't, but now they're all over the place.

Meanwhile, Jesse tells Mariel that, "she isn't his mother." I tend to agree, because she isn't. It's not clear what she is but I do believe her when she says she still cares about him. I do think it was a little overboard, when Jesse went home (got drunk) and started shooting at family pictures in the backyard. I'm looking forward to next week though because it looks like Szura and his army of the evolved are getting ready for their revolution. This could get messy.

WAINISA BEVERLEY

please please please bring back invasion...............that was the best show!!!!!!

June 07 2006 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Logan: the show's always done that, at least once an episode. I'd always taken it as a cheesy homage to old-school sci-fi/invasion movies that show the high-contrast, obvious matte-backdrop "hero shot." Go back and look through, I guarantee you see it at least once an episode. I think it's done on purpose.

Great episode, agreement all around. I also second Kristie's comment: if there's news about a second season, it sure as heck wasn't on TVS, and I'd think it would show up here...

April 21 2006 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristie

ihad, where did you read that a 2nd season has been confirmed? Everything I've read has said that the odds of that are extremely unlikely. I hope you're right.

April 20 2006 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

I am a fan of the show. period. but the blue screen / island scene was killing me! It looked like they were standing in front of a prop shot at Sears! I could have only been more painful in HD!

April 20 2006 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ihad

great show, nice to know there will be a season 2. still, kira and mariel need to go. *eg*

also, when russel calls for help he doesn't even remotely consider that the coast guard might already have been compromised which came to no surprise to any viewer now did it?

best line: "you can have the beer. the gun is mine."

April 20 2006 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Szura's reach is a lot more than I anticipated. I'm glad the priest was on Russell's and Dave's side in this instead of following Underlay. By far one of the better dramas on TV right now. Hopefully this show will stick for next season but the ratings haven't been good.

April 20 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

I feel like I'm watching an updated version of Invasion of the Body Snachers after last nights show.
I think its getting a little too far out there and not enough originality. The season certainly started out with enough originality, hurricane and all, but they seem to be going in outlandish circles now. Maybe the writers have run out of fresh material, and then I know that I'm being set up for the mother of all cliffhangers!

April 20 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply