November 22, 2014

NBC cancels Cooking Showdown

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 20th 2006 7:29PM
wolfgang puck; celebrity cooking
showdownNBC is opting to run the final two episodes of Celebrity Cooking Showdown on its website instead of on television tonight and tomorrow. Instead, repeats of Will & Grace and My Name is Earl will air tonight and an "encore" Deal or No Deal will fill the time slot on Friday.

Celebrity Cooking Showdown
has been a disaster for NBC, with the show coming in fifth last night, only ahead of One Tree Hill.

Ginger

I thought the premise of the show was great, and I looked forward to the first show. But, halfway through the show, I was ready to turn it off because of Alan Thicke. His running commentary on what the celebrities were doing at that second really got on my nerves. I vowed I was not going to watch it again, as long as Alan Thicke was the host. He ruined the entire show. I thought Hells Kitchen was so much better than this show. And I can't stand Deal or No Deal, because of Howie Mandel. Find better hosts, and your shows would be hits.

April 21 2006 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross Kimbrough

The WORST part was watching these d-list celebs running around in high heels and skimpy dresses on the stage. Alan was a bad host as well. I was done with it before the end of the first show. At least Tony is still a good football player.

April 21 2006 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cooking Kid

While I didn't think it was the greatest show ever, I was watching "Cooking With the Stars". I liked the host and the celebrity chefs. And there were some really good cooking tips, too! I would like to know who wins.

I think NBC did a disservice to the show by switching its time-slot from night to night. Was the network TRYING to get rid of viewers?

And c'mon! It's not like it was a huge committment on their part to air all five episodes. So to NBC I'm gonna say: "no thanks!" I won't watch any more of your week-long special events, because I can't see the point in setting muself up for disappointment. Guess it's back to the Food Network for me...

FYI -- I was able to watch on the internet, but the format was very confusing. (Plus I think the assumption that people will a)know to look on-line and b) have the hardware to view it is, for lack of another word, "mean".)

I ended up watching a lot of stuff I really didn't want to while trying to find the show. Was that the point? If so, NBC sucks more than I can describe--maybe they should just become a subsidiaty of some vacuum company.

April 20 2006 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simmsays

I agree. I couldn't beleive the show lasted as long as it did.

Simmsays...

AmericanInventorSpot.com

April 20 2006 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Scida

TheFutonCritic was wrong.

This show was terrible, I couldn't get through it. It wasn't even half as interesting as Iron Chef (America), which itself isn't that good a show.

April 20 2006 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

They are also showing the final episodes back to back at 8 PM Eastern Time as well as online at least according to TheFutonCritic (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=7137)

April 20 2006 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply