October 25, 2014

South Park: A Million Little Fibers

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 20th 2006 9:48AM

towelie south park(S10E05) You can probably add Trey Parker and Matt Stone to the list of people who will never be invited on Oprah.

One of my favorite side characters, Towelie, returned for this episode. Broke and in desperate need for money, he decides to write a memoir. Unfortunately, he has trouble selling it because most of the book is about Dorito Corn Chips, and also, he's a towel. Using his special "getting high" powers, he decides to disguise himself as a person in order to get people interested in his book. Oprah makes it a book club selection, but instantly turns on Towelie when she finds out he's been lying.

I knew a couple days beforehand that this episode was going to take aim at the recent debacle surrounding author James Frey and his book A Million Little Pieces, and I was interested to find out whether the show would be pro-Frey or anti-Frey. This being South Park, it managed to go places I never would have expected, one of them being Oprah's vagina. Apparently Matt and Trey weren't as concerned about the content of Frey's (Towlie's) book as they were that Oprah's "minge" wasn't getting the attention it needed, causing a kind of emotional imbalance wherein she's ecstatic one moment and ready to lynch a talking towel the next.

The scenes involving Oprah's vag and his close companion, her anus, were kind of hit and miss for me. The gag would be funny for awhile, but would then wear kind of thin. Perhaps in an earlier episode I would have enjoyed it more, but after ten years this feels like a gag that comes easily for Matt and Trey. On the other hand, I felt the last two episodes got a little too self-important at times, so it was nice to see the show kick off its shoes and be silly again. I also loved their effeminate take on Geraldo Rivera, who first exposes Towlie's shocking truth. Also, the episode ends with an important lesson for us all: you shouldn't get high to come up with ideas. You should come up with ideas and then get high to reward yourself. When I have kids, I'm going to tell them that every night when I tuck them in.

TowelieRocks

I love British humour and the Mingey and Gary schtick wore on me quickly.

Not one of their best, but Towelie is my all-time favourite character so the bits with his dialogue made up for the rest. My boy and I are still quoting:

"If I was a towel, why would I have this hat and fake moustache?"

"You're a towel!"

This spisode also made me realize that I need to stop getting high to come up with ideas. I can identify with Towelie so much it's scary. I've put up the Krippie until I can reward myself.

More Towelie please!!

May 11 2006 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

While it was funny and all, I really didn't like the lack of the regular characters.

I mean the Butters episode was hilarious anyway, but this one just seemed like it was I dunno...

Whatever. Glad it's only once in a while. Give me Kenny, Kyle, Stan and Cartman any day. And Butters. I like Butters. Towlie was just supposed to be a one-time thing. Hopefully he'll disappear eventually like Mr. Hankey.

April 29 2006 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Fingerman

It seemed to me, given how rapidly the South Park team turn out episodes (by their own admission they often complete eps the day they air), that "A Million Little Fibers" was Parker and Stone's colossal "F--k You" to Comedy Central for censoring them the week before. Those guys are so smart, astute and funny that a sub par episode like reeked of, "Oh, you're gonna pussy out on us by not showing Mohammed (even though CC already showed him on the 'Super Best Friends' episode, already)? Fine: here's a crappy, not particularly timely episode." All that minge stuff was so puerile it stank of revenge. It was anti-comedy. It was the only South Park I've ever seen that was just bad. Those guys are genius-level when it comes to comedy. I can't think of anyone better. But, in the words of Jimmy, "I mean, come on."

April 26 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steven mctowelie

i side with Paul B, and i'm american as american-f'n pie. also, the rise of the internet and cartoons for adults has made the whole lonely-bitter-nerd faction a whole lot more bitter and lame. "worst blah-blah-blah ever!". man, i can f-kin here the whiny-ass voice that goes along with that and I can imagine why nerds gettheir asses kicked so much.

look, loosen up, don't expect so much from this sh-t. south park is insightful as hell, but also just a wacky, nonsense filled headf-ck fest. don't forget some of your favorite episodes may have included a piece of sh-t with a santa claus cap.

now, how spicey would you like yer chang sauce!

April 26 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

Guys this was a 420 episode.

No, You're a towel!

April 24 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul B

Josh, Josh, Josh! If all you got out of that episode was a talking vagina and rectum then I guess you really didn't get it! And as a nation you guys really aren't the sharpest tool in the box, but then a majority of your country lives in abject poverty so you can't really expect the majority to be well educated. I wasn't saying that every American is thick, that would be generalising. I was going by your nations own published statistics on the education standards of the nation as a whole. There's no need to get scared and then personal when you find yourself unable to comprehend something fully.
Try engaging me in conversation instead of insults (you flag waving Nazi!).

April 24 2006 at 6:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigmarcus

I have to agree that this IS british humor at it's best!!! I haven't laughed that hard in years.It seems so funny to me that people didn't "get" the humor.C'mon a talking minge and an ahole named gary,it's funny just saying it.Some people really graduate from sesame street before being allowed to watch south park.

April 24 2006 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles R

I gather that this episode had three purposes:

1. "Up yours Comedy Central, we are manatees, and if you continue to censor us you will not get what you are expecting".

2. "Geez, the heat generated over the whole Scientologist thing, and now the Mohammed issue is really getting us beat, let's just do a show that WE enjoy for a change, and not have someone breathing down our necks afterward."

3. "Geez, the heat generated over the last few shows is getting us beat - let's get high... ...in fact, dude, let's get high, and write the show, and make it about the dumb ideas you come up with when you are high, just like that Frey guy - then it doesn't matter if we have a few lame ideas for this show."

April 22 2006 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Paul B,
Yes, it takes a nation of highly intelligent people to comprehend a joke involving a talking vagina and rectum.

@sshole

April 22 2006 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Although uneven, I thought it was pretty funny. And one of the few places that would dare criticize Queen Oprah.

The closing ass death scene I thought was lifted from Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino, but I can't be sure.

April 21 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply