September 2, 2014

Star Trek to return in 2008

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 21st 2006 9:58AM
J.J. AbramsStay calm, Trekkers, but this is big news: a big-screen return for Star Trek is in the works for 2008, according to today's Variety.

And who will direct the movie? Why, J.J. Abrams of Lost/Alias/Mission: Impossible 3 fame! Probably a good choice. He  knows how to mix the big action with the character drama, and he'll bring some buzz to the franchise too.

The movie will focus on the early days of Starfleet, when Kirk and Spock first met. Hmmm...readers, who do you think should play the young Kirk and Spock?

Tim McCleese

My response to #10:

What mess? Enterprise was far superior to the boring DSP. Enterprise was cast with fine actors and had excellant storylines. I liked it even better than tos. So there! Score one for Enterprise! Tim-1

May 16 2006 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

I was supremely disappointed in the MI movie (didn't even bother seeing the second one). It was supposed to be about a team, but instead was about Tom Cruise. And Jim Phelps a turncoat!? Please! If this is how Abrams re-interprets original series, let Star Trek rest in peace. I have loads of great memories from that show, plus STNG and DS9. Enough is enough.

April 22 2006 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

spongy, I think we already had Felicity in space. It starred Denise Richards and was called Starship Troopers. :D

April 21 2006 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Most of the comments so far are running toward the negative side. The key to success, besides the director and the cast, would be the writing and the relationship designed to bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS. I'm certain Paramount would aim for a big-scale production more like the movies and less like the series - thus making the original production props unlikely.

The success of TOS was the interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. To fill the shoes of Shatner and Nimoy would be difficult indeed, but we all need to remember what made the "successful" original series movies (the even ones...) was character interaction.

If the writers can get it right and the producers not spend $20 million on one actor, it could be a success. Think positive !

April 21 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

#8 - If they stick to historical ST facts, Carol Marcus(STII) would probably be the main squeeze or maybe Ruth(TOS:Shore Leave).

April 21 2006 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Great. So, we're going to get Felicity and Alias in space? Faaaan-friggin'-tastic. I bet it's going ot be Felicity goes to Starfleet Academy.

April 21 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Mind Robber

Prequels do indeed suck. Didn't they learn from the mess that was Enterprise?

Star Trek needs a longer break before it can come back, if ever.

As far as I'm concerned, the franchise begins with the Original Trek and ends with DS9.

April 21 2006 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

In response to #8: The worst thing they could do is NOT use the "furniture" and overall style from the original series. I remember how cheated I felt when I tuned in to the first episode of "Enterprise", a supposed prequel, and found that it looked like warmed-over "Voyager", and did not in any way appear to EXIST in the same universe as the original "Star Trek". (It was also the last time I watched "Enterprise")

"Deep Space Nine" did a fantastic tribute show to the original "Trek" where they were back in time during the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode. They got the details right, from the sets to the ships to the uniforms.

If they do make this movie (which, overall, I think is probably a BAD idea), they'd be wise to remember some history and base their production design on the original series.

April 21 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Two questions come to mind...
Who would play Kirk's main squeeze? Not an episode passed without a love interest for the esteemed captain.
Secondly, would they be constrained to using the cheesy furniture from the series? The furniture improved in the movies, but the characters were aging.
I'm a big fan of all things Trek but a prequel like this seems risky. Live long and prosper!

April 21 2006 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noah

Bad news for Lost fans because he was thinking about coming back to Lost for a bit.

Even more bad news for Lost fans Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk are set to produce this new film.

Carlton Cuse if you are out there - DON'T LEAVE LOST!!!
I hope Damon and Bryan don't completely abandon the show.

April 21 2006 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply