September 30, 2014

The Five: Favorite TV lineups of all-time

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 22nd 2006 5:17PM
Bob Newhart Show1. CBS, Saturday nights, 1970s: Come on, how can you miss with shows like Bob Newhart, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, and The Carol Burnett Show. I think Carol Burnett was one of the first shows that my mom let me stay up late to watch.

2. ABC, Friday nights, 1970s: The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. Yeah, that's right, The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family! You got a problem with that? My sister and I would go down to the corner store and stock up on candy, chips, and ice cream, and then race home to watch Marcia get hit in the nose with a football. Good times.

3. NBC, Friday nights, 1980s: various shows on at various times, including Stingray, Riptide, Sonny Spoon, Private Eye, and Miami Vice. Still waiting for the first two to come out on DVD.

4. NBC, Wednesday nights, 1990s: Wings, The John Larroquette Show, Newsradio, Law and Order. I think Men Behaving Badly was in there at some point. I hated that show. The other three shows were on other days and times on the schedule too, but this was a fun lineup while it lasted.

5. NBC, Thursday nights, 1990s: Friends, Single Guy, Seinfeld, Caroline in the City, and ER: OK, OK, The Single Guy wasn't good, but Friends, Seinfeld, and ER are great, classic shows, all on the same night. Caroline? I think that show is kinda underrated. Not great, but entertaining.

TJ

#15, was it "Going Places"?

April 24 2006 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Thank you for those who spoke up about the "original" Must-See Thursday on NBC -- Cosby / Family Ties / Cheers / Night Court / HSB...

The Friends / Single Guy / Seinfeld / Caroline lineup didn't hold a torch to that. The original one was strong from start to finish. Although, while I didn't care for Friends, that show, along with Seinfeld and ER provided an unbelievable Must-See Sandwich. Single Guy and Caroline were absolutely terrible though.

April 24 2006 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

TGIF for me too, minus Family Matters.

I loved Perfect Strangers and early Step By Step.

I remember a show on TGIF where Heather Lockear and Alan Ruck were both on it. Can anyone remember the name? Heather Lockear played an flight attendant, I think.

April 24 2006 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Fox sunday circa 1999-2001 (when not preempted by NFL), Futurama, King of the hill, Simpsons, Family Guy, X-Files

April 23 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herbie J Pilato

I can remember SO MANY of my favorite line-ups. Here's just a few.

Herbie J Pilato

M*A*S*H
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Bob Newhart Show
The Carol Burnett Show

April 23 2006 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kurifurisan

ABC's TGIF!!!! I lived for Friday nights back in the day....now it's sad going into the weekend until Sunday nights.

April 23 2006 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

A third for 90s TGIF, great stuff. Balki, Urkel, Coach Lubbock's one hot daughter, John Stamos and Reggie V.J. Classic classic formulaic sitcoms, and I enjoyed watching it all through middle school up through high school. Couple of laughs, no worries for my Mom, just great.

April 22 2006 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I loved the TGIF lineup in the mid to late 90s. I was a kid, and it was primarily aimed at 14 year old girls like me at the time, who wanted to see what happened on the mini-soap opera plotlines of Boy Meets World (Rider Strong is hot. Nuff said.), see Melissa Joan-Hart land fall into some crazy scheme with her aunts, and then check out whatever other shows were in between them all. Admittedly, I would never check out this lineup now, but I was a kid, so it appealed greatly to me

April 22 2006 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

#1. Friday Nights,CBS,late 70s-early 80s.
The Incredible Hulk,Dukes of Hazzard,Dallas.
The #1 (Dallas) and #2 (Dukes) rated TV shows of their day cant be wrong! The viewing destination for millions of kids.No CBS Friday night show since can match the viewership of Dukes or Dallas to this day.(remember,no cable TV then).

#2 TGIF Friday Nights,ABC
Family Matters,Perfect Strangers,Just the 10 of Us,Full House.
Good funny stuff,harmless programming that could take the edge off a long week at work.Where has out TGIF gone??

April 22 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

TheMatt and Mase have it right: Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court.

It began nearly two decades of Thursday night domination for NBC. And let's face it: You can't go wrong with Cheers.

April 22 2006 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply