November 28, 2014

Alias: There's Only One Sydney Bristow

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 26th 2006 9:16PM
Alias - page 47(S05E12) I really like the fact that ABC actually told J.J. Abrams that the show was not going to be renewed earlier instead of later. It really does, as Abrams has said, give the show a chance to end things correctly, to bring old characters back, and explain what all this Rambaldi/Prophet 5 plot is all about. How good was it to see Will tonight? I also like the fact that even if you don't know what's going on with the mythology, this was a pretty entertaining standalone spy mission as well, and you could enjoy it as a casual viewer.

But Will, when people come knocking on your door and just say, yeah, I'm with the CIA, here's a quick look at my badge, just don't invite them in for coffee and danish.

Peyton (I know, I know, I've been calling her Kelly this season, but some readers aren't happy with it so I'll go with her last name now) gets baddie Anna Espinosa out of her hidden jail with the promise of getting revenge on Sydney. Anna poses as a CIA agent and kidnaps Will, who is still in witness protection. This does exactly what Prophet 5 would hope it would do when it told Sloane to get Syd back to work from her baby break: she agrees to come back and help find Will (who gets a small bomb placed in his head via needle). I like the fact that Jack gets two CIA agents/expert babysitters to keep an eye on Isabelle.

The team goes into old skool Alias action: they find out Will is being held upstairs from a nightclub, with the pulsating industrial music and lights. Syd is in her slinky tight disguise, while Thomas and Rachel are on backup and Marshall controls things via hidden camera and mic back at APO. Syd rushes upstairs to help Will, only to be greeted by Anna. Anna cuts Syd's arm, and Prophet 5 zeroes in on the wound and collects "data" for some evil purpose. Will gets out of the chair and beats the hell out of Anna. But Anna escapes through a window. The bad guys let Will and Syd go because they have the information they need. Hmmm...I wonder what that's all about (though I guess the episode title might be a clue). P5 calls Sloane and says they'll give him a signal when they want him to do the next phase of the plan, and tell him that this is the only way he'll see Nadia back to the way she used to be.

Later, Will tells Syd he's engaged. Syd tells him about the baby but lies that Vaughn is dead.

A sensor picks up Will's head bomb, but Marshall says that if they try to operate it might explode (it will be a small explosion,  but when there's a bomb in your head, size doesn't matter). Anna calls Will's phone and tells Syd to bring her page 47 of the Rambaldi manuscript and to meet her some place alone. If she brings the page, she'll give the deactivation codes for the mindbomb.

And this gives the show a chance to explain Rambaldi! Sloane talks about the history, and that manuscript page is flashed on all the monitors.  Rachel doesn't know what the hell this is all about (ha!). Will just wants the damn bomb out of his head. Marshall says he might be able to crack the code, but Will will have to be near the detonator to for the initialization. Will joins the gang on the mission, posing as Syd's hubby.

Will asks Syd to be his best man, in a funny scene where Syd thought he was asking her if he's going to die.

Syd meets Anna on the train, and the initialization is working. Anna says she has to leave to get the detonator, but they know it's on her because they can detect it. Syd has to fight Anna to keep her in the room. Will's head starts beeping, but it stops. Anna tells Syd she doesn't understand "the game." She grabs the suitcase with the page, slams the door on Syd, as a red liquid chemical comes out of the sprinklers and covers Syd.

Oh, this is creepy: they are collecting Syd's DNA underneath the train! Yeesh.

Will knocks out Anna, but she comes to and throws the detonator out of the train. Syd and Will jump after it and get it just in time.

Sloane meets with Peyton. Sloane says he doesn't want Syd hurt, but Peyton won't tell him why they are doing what they are doing. Peyton says that Sloane has fulfilled his end of the contract, and she gives him the cure for Nadia.

Meanwhile, Prophet 5 is doing some odd experiment on Anna. She's in a cage and surrounded by red liquid, which makes her scream in pain.

Syd and Will take Isabelle for a walk in the park, and Syd apologizes for everything that is happened to him.  He wouldn't have been hurt or tortured or almost killed if he didn't know her. Will tells her that's ridiculous, that he's better for knowing her and that he wouldn't change it for anything.

At the end, we see that Anna has been turned into ...Sydney! Now that title really does make sense.

ladytonya

Wow, you've got a good memory! I remember her giving him that drink right before he arrested. Okay, so Jack had his death faked and Jack and Syd are the only ones that know. The next few weeks are going to be awesome!

May 03 2006 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
some guy

Syd and Jack faked Vaughn's death at the hospital. In that episode she shared a knowing look through the observation window with Jack as she gave Vaughn something to drink from a straw, which was immediately followed by Vaughn's cardiac arrest. Obviously one of those CIA fake death concoctions they always use in movies and T.V.

May 02 2006 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klappy

I'll admit that it's a shame our show's plot has to suffer because of contracts changing and pregnancies.
BUT...
Apparently it doesn't matter how the writers come up with the story, we're still gonna watch...it's still addicting story telling!
I don't think Syd knew Vaughan was still alive until sometime between her not throwing away his sports magazine and her holding up recordings of Vaughan's voice to her belly...I think Jack stored him away, and she really DID believe he was dead at the hospital and funeral. Because there wasn't any time between the shooting and hospital for Jack and Syd to get together and plan. But it does make sense that Syd hoped he'd still be coming back to her, and then spydaddy let her in on the secret later.

April 30 2006 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

Well, for a show that's not usually at all subtle, that revelation was played just too close to the vest. I, too, thought I had missed an episode.

Clearly, if the show had not been canceled, Vaughn would still be dead, and there would be no nonsense about how his death was faked. They brought him back so they could have a satisfying finale, but the means by which they did it here are condescending at worst and clumsy at best.

April 29 2006 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z.rene

And what about the chemical shower on the train. Nobody suspects anything ??? (Analyze the damn red chemical stuff).

April 29 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MM

SHE WAS stoic, go back and watch the episodes. At no time did she EVER say he was dead unless she was lying to other people. She'd tell her dad she missed him, or wishes he was there. Never that he was dead.

I thought it was brilliant. Go read my comment again #9 and you'll see (for some reason I didn't realize I had to approve it so it wasn't live until just now, as I post #19, sorry!)...

April 29 2006 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Uh huh, exactly, ditto Siraris.

April 27 2006 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Siraris

I agree with the rest; knowing that Vaughn was alive was not only unimplied, it's ridiculous. If you want to fake something, do it, don't just use the power of writing and decide differently. With the huge break, I don't remember that much from the first half, but I do remember that Sydney was grieving as hard as anyone could, and even though she may be the master of Aliases, no one could fake that emotion. If she was stoic, tight lipped, I'd understand, but this is just ridiculous. Kill Vaughn or don't, I'm tired of the whole people die/dissapear and mysteriously come back after they are proven dead or missing or in an unimpenitrable government facility. Hell, even bringing Nadia back is ludicrous at this point.

April 27 2006 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shniblet

I still don't get the whole Syd and Jack now Vaughn is alive thing? They faked his death from the beggining??? So they sent Vaughn to Bhutan? I'm really confused, someone please help!!!

P.S. I loved seeing Will back in action and I can't wait to see Vaughn and Syd together on screen!!

April 27 2006 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drake

Aren't there any Angel/Joss Whedon fans out there who's spine tingled a bit seeing former Angel cast members face to face last night?

I'm sure at least Joss Whedon appreciateed seeing Amy Acker (as Peyton, or Fred on Angel) and Gina Torres (as Anna, or Jasmine on Angel) sharing a scene or two together.

Whedon and Abrams share a similar allegiance to their actors (using them in every series) so it's interesting to see the crossover.

April 27 2006 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply