October 25, 2014

Matt Groening talks to The Onion

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 26th 2006 9:31AM
Matt GroeningGreat interview with Simpsons/Futurama creator Matt Groening in today's issue of The Onion. In it he reveals that he is often freaked out by strangers who quote obscure Simpsons lines to him (at first he's frightened, but then relieved they're not crazy), talks about how FOX treated Futurama, and even mentions the Simpsons/Family Guy rivalry.

I don't know why, but I never got into Futurama. I thought the show looked great, but never thought it was that funny. I guess I was looking for Simpsons-level humor and found it lacking. Of course, I'm basing this on just the first season, when I last watched the show, so I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Also in The Onion: Simpsons quotes for everyday use.

gooby

"I guess I was looking for Simpsons-level humor and found it lacking."

Oh please! LEVEL of humor?! I personally have not found The Simpsons all that funny, especially in the past 5 years or so, however all the seasons of Futurama were fantastic and it was cancelled way too soon. Besides Simpsons and Futurama can't really be put in the same category.

It wasn't the Simpsons and it wasn't supposed to be, it was Futurama and its target audience was totally different and the humor was different. Clearly not all got it but that didn't make it any less of a funny show. It was definitely on the level of funny with the Simpsons... in fact, it surpassed it in my book. But that's just my opinion.

April 26 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

Comparing Simpsons to Futurama is impossible because of the different life spans of the two shows. Simpsons seasons 3-7 were much better than any seasons of Futurama, and Futurama never really hit its stride till seasons 3-4, when it got killed by the network.

April 26 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FX Viewer

As Homer would say, D'OH! It's supposed to be "Gender Bender" Was hurrying off to work when I typed it.

April 26 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benoa

About Futurama humor...
I guess it's a culture reference issue.

I never met someone who enjoy Futurama and don't have minimum sci-fi culture basics or isn't a little bit nerdy/geeky.

You can be geeky/nerdy and have read all Asimov and still don't get Futurama, though.

April 26 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SM

Futurama was a slow starter for me, and my opinion is that the series improved as it went on.

April 26 2006 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

Bob, I'm sorry, but i hate you now. Futurama is my FAVORITE show...ever. Futurama is far more nerdier than Simpsons; especially if you listen to the commentary. And Futurama is timeless, I can watch reruns over and over and over and its still funny, everytime. While I love Family Guy, it does get old. You really need to start watching Futurama. I suggest buying the DVDs, for the episodes and the EXCELLANT commentary.

April 26 2006 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boohiss

Futurama is a different kind of funny than Simpsons, but I think it's *at least* as funny as the Simpsons, if not funnier.

I am also pretty sick of Family Guy reruns.

April 26 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

I agree with Bender Gender up there. Futurama is way funnier than the Simpsons. And both last better than reruns than Family Guy. My god, am I sick of Family Guy.

April 26 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FX Viewer

Bite my shiny metal ass! Futurama is far funnier than Simpsons. I love Simpsons but Fututrama is king with Bender.

April 26 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply