October 31, 2014

American Inventor: EZ-X Portable Gym, Here Comes Niya Doll, DTract 2x2 Bike

by Keith McDuffee, posted Apr 27th 2006 10:59PM
american inventor(S01E07) I've got to be honest with you here -- I'm growing tired of this show. Not only does the episode run way too long, but now they're tacking on a full hour of other pre-show junk that, I have to say, I didn't even bother watching. This is the kind of show I want to see them get down to business, show us what work was done and then smack us with the decision.

One thing I thought was a tad unfair in this round was how all four judges sat in front of each inventor instead of just Mary-Lou. Could she just not handle it on her own or what?

So, Her Comes Niya and EZ-X are out, but the DTract Bike makes it. At first I wouldn't have picked the bike to make it, but the vast improvements, including a detachable front, totally changed my mind. I'm glad to see it move on to the final round, because it really had that "wow" factor of being something that strikes you when you see it, a truly innovative idea.

Nya was a nicely put together package, but it just didn't have enough innovation to move it along. The EZ-X gym failed mostly because the inventor wasn't prepared enough to bring it to the next level.

Monica

Is there anywhere I could purchase the Niya doll? My daughter fell in love with it on American Inventor. I'm having difficulty finding Niya and I'm sure she is available for purchase as she aired with much possitive inputs from many.
Regards, monica taillefr

May 05 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle

If anyone is interested in joining in, Doug Hall is goign to be blogging live this Sunday , May 7, at http://www.americaninventorspot.com to answer your questions and comments.

It should be an interesting discussion because Doug has said his decision this week will be highly controversial.

Details on the blogging is here at http://www.americaninventorspot.com/node/844

May 02 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simmsays

I am finding myself enjoying the show when its new content. If they could lower the hyper drama and emotionalism and actually focus on the inventor and the real stories, it really could be a great show.

Simmssays...

April 28 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

I stopped watching this show after episode #4. It's completely uninteresting, the "inventions" are totally lame and the judges are like cartoon characters. It stinks.

April 28 2006 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nahid

"Not only does the episode run way too long, but now they're tacking on a full hour of other pre-show junk that, I have to say, I didn't even bother watching. This is the kind of show I want to see them get down to business, show us what work was done and then smack us with the decision."

I agree completely. Because of this, I've started watching this show on an hour delay on my DVR. I got through the first hour in less than 15 minutes and then skipped through the commercials in the second hour. So the two hour show only took me an hour to watch.

What really made me laugh was that before they showed the number one moment, they had to recap the recap. I hate recaps but at least my DVR saves me from them.

April 28 2006 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sy Stebins

I like the bike but it has been done already. Mary Lou has put ABC into a bad legal situation because if you follow this link to the website: www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
Everyone will see the original despite that the double traction bike has the front removable.
Jerry should have moved forward because his IS original. Niya doll can be found at Kmart.

April 28 2006 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

The first hour wouldn't be bad if they showed new material, but showing us the same failed items over and over and over again is just stupid.

If I'm not mistaken, they did the full panel last week too, before he made his decision. I don't think this was a one time thing.

I'm so glad that Mary-Lou didn't vote her emotions, then the gym guy would have won, but actually put through a real invention...well, at least out of those three.

April 28 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply