October 25, 2014

South Park: Manbearpig

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 27th 2006 11:22AM

cartman south parkGod must really want those kids dead. -- South Park

(S10E06) I'm like, totally cereal, guys.

If nothing else, last night's episode proved that South Park is still an equal opportunity offender. In this episode, Al Gore comes to South Park to warn everyone about Manbearpig (read: global warming), a creature who is half man, half bear, and half pig. Or possibly half man and half bearpig. No one really knows for sure because Gore is apparently the only one who believes he exists.

Al Gore is depicted as a crazed, friendless drifter who believes he's doing the right thing but only manages to hurt those he's trying to help. The gist of the show is that despite Gore's supposedly noble intentions, he's really just using issues to get people to pay attention to him. I was almost expecting the episode to culminate into a message about global warming, but of course, they already did that once. Instead, it was essentially about Gore's tactics, which is fair game for satire as much as anything else, but I felt like they belabored the point more than a little. The episode felt like one joke stretched out for a half hour.

On the other hand, the scenes with the boys trapped in the cave were a nice throwback to the show's earlier days when the episodes were written around the characters themselves. I always love when they explore the relationship between Cartman, who is willing to put himself through serious physical stress to satisfy his own insatiable greed (he eats what he thinks is actual pirate treasure in order to sneak it out of the cave) and Kyle, whose compassion and willingness to forgive causes him to try and save Cartman from drowning under the weight of all the treasure. Of course, Kyle doesn't know Cartman ate all that treasure, and Cartman doesn't tell him.

So yeah, probably not the best episode of the season in my opinion, but it wasn't without its moments.

Mike

Excelsior!

The truth is that both sides are right. It is very obvious that this season of South Park has lost something, ya, its still funny I mean Come on, they could do a show about anything and I would laugh my ass off. But seriously, this season has consistently been a slide down the slippery slope of trying to have an agenda with your jokes other than just be as funny as possible. They are writting to prove something now, when they should be writting to make people laugh, thats what got them where they are today. I will be one pissed of mofo if this crap continues to polute the existance of a histarically hilarious show. So what? everyone gets kicked in the nuts, winners get back up and keep going, only whinny vindictive bizniches plot and scheme for revenge. It will be bitter sweat when your show "used to be good" and now sucks ass because you forgot how to be really funny. Dont get lost in the woods! and its not too late!

May 30 2006 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymous Comment

"Stop ManBearPig" bumper stickers:

May 26 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fang

This more evidence that Matt and Trey smoke pot...I mean, a lot of pot...enough pot to keep the economy of a small second world nation afloat.

I liked this one because it picks on a guy whose entire life was ruined by a bunch of old people in Florida who could not count. If your life can be ruined by that then you don't deserve to access to the "little red button."

South Park is the greatest show ever made.

May 26 2006 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d dog

manbearpig - funny

"i'm serial" - funny

al gore not having any friends - funny

stalagtite penises - very funny

cartman hording the "treasure" and then blowing it out the backside - made the episode

it's good to see that noone's safe from the wrath of s.p.

having said that, and you can quote me:
"al gore will win the democratic primary and the general election to become our next president!!!"

May 24 2006 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Foster

Hmmm. I wonder if we took a survey... It has been my experience that most conservatives can laugh at themselves and at shows depicting them as goof-balls, but most liberals are completely unable to do the same. I wonder if we did take that survey how it would come out. Most of the episodes panned as "unfunny" and/or "totally lame" in the above comments were the ones taking potshots at liberal icons and or pet causes. Funny how that works out, eh?

May 23 2006 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Petey Pablo

I love SP, but clearly their worst moments, at least this season, have come when they stretch a joke and/or truth to zing liberals. Funny: the idea of burying your head in the sand to avoid the Muhammed controversy. Not funny: the 'liberal' media represented in that episode, the whole Al Gore episode, etc. Plus, you know, global warming won't be quite so funny during this hurricane season.

May 19 2006 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Weasler

I saw this for the first time yesterday. Was absolutely hilarious! Almost as funny as the Michael Jackson episode. The defecation scenes at the end were a little gross (why not have him simply throw up?), and the cave penis formations were over-the-top,
but the jabs at Madman Al Gore were TERRIFIC!

May 15 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erika

manbearpig 1/2 man 1/2 bear and 1/2 pig
yes very funny shit and "im cereal"...lol.. its been a while and i still talk and laugh about it with people and friends!!it cracks em up!
some people need to stop being so uptight and just laugh about it, its meant to be stupidly funny....

May 08 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

This episode is hilarious, I don't care what you other guys say. To me, this show can make any subject absolutely hilarious. GOOD SHOW! =)

May 01 2006 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doober

After all these years South Park is still tops. This episode was funny as all hell. Anyone know where I can get a "Together we can stop ManBearPig" bumpersticker? I want one, I'm super serial!

South Park still dominates. Excelcior!!

May 01 2006 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply