November 24, 2014

Invasion: The Son Also Rises

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 28th 2006 12:49AM

Invasion; ABC(S01E19) Ehh... not so much. This episode was kind of like Oscar Mayer Bologna. They tell you it's not all "filler," but after you look it? Yeah, it's "filler." All this episode really achieved was the creation of a bond between Tom and Russell and I don't think we'll see that bond break for the rest of the season. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to believe Tom. He was genuinely surprised when Russell told him that he saw pictures of Szura with the military. I really think he means it when he tells Russell that he wants to stop Szura and whatever's planned.

That's all you really needed to know about this episode. It concluded with those two teaming up but it was stretched out because Jesse decided that he just can't take living with "all these bastard hybrids" anymore.

Jesse and all his new friends got together at the lunch table and decided that Tom had to be questioned. They all wanted answers about the loved ones who had been "taken." Jesse told them where they could find Tom but instead two of them grabbed Louis. When Jesse and his football buddy show up, the other two had beaten Louis nearly to death. At that point, I think Jesse realized things had gotten out of hand, so I felt relieved that he got a hold of that gun. Well, not really. If Russell hadn't shown up when he did, I really think we were meant to believe that Jesse was going to shoot someone.

Meanwhile, Szura and his team of merry men have deserted the island and come to the mainland where all the hybrids are buying bottled water by the case. Apparently, they can all sense a coming hurricane and want to be stocked up. Mariel bought enough supplies to fuel a small army. Russell has now lost his job more or less, because the parks Commissioner Chief is buddy buddy with Szura. In a random twist, we found out that Russell's co-worker Mona is one of them. But she still seemed worried about Russell. Larkin, on the other hand, is still angry that Russell is never home. Can't really blame her. Jesse wanted Russell to take them away, move somewhere else. Now that Russell is teamed up with Tom, I don't think they'll be going anywhere. Even if they had though, Mariel was awful quick to say it was OK.

That was about it. Like I said, the end was really all that mattered because we didn't get too much new info. One thing they delved more into though, was Szura's book "Robin Hood and the Cambrian Explosion." His manifesto is all about evolution and it quotes just about every relevant text on the subject. I'm actually looking forward to see what a group of these people can do. It sounds terrible, but they keep building up to it and I'm curious. So there.

Sonny Pittman

The show has not been picked up yet, however the vibe is it will. This weeks episode did very well and the show is picking up viewers weekly. I think it is a great show and the writing is excellent. The network may have a hit by being patient. I think CBS pulled the plug on Threshold too quick and I am hearing Surface may be back next year. I certainly hope so, how many CSI Shows can you watch a week!

May 12 2006 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristie

Yes, I'd like to know also because everything I've read has stated that it is highly unlikely that Invasion will be returning.

April 29 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Tucker,
I can't recall the url so I can't post it. I will do some back searching to try to find it for you. I believe it was on a list of shows which were being picked up for next season. Sort of the secpond level of pick ups.

April 28 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

This is the second time someone has randomly stated that the show has been picked up. Once again, I'll asked where you got that info. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I haven't seen anything anywhere. So please, PLEASE tell us where you saw that Invasion will have a second season.

April 28 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I believe that up until the time when the producers of this show were uncertain of being picked up for a 2nd season the hybrids could have all been basically "friendly" with just an occasional "bad un". Now we know the 2nd season is coming it has allowed for a major sub plot between the good and the bad hybrids and THIS is the major play right now. So much so that Tom feels squeezed and unable to trust almost anyome hence he makes the alliance with Jesse.

Going fwd there are 3 outcomes possible:
(1) Humans win and defat ALL hybrids : Unlikely
(2) Bad hybrids (presumably orientated to the Alien creatures) win: Nah doesn't happen on TV......so far..
(3) Good hybrids (true evolution of best of alien abilities and human minds) and humans win and dedide to mingle:)

First season will end on a cliff hanger with Bad Hybrids making some major offence....

April 28 2006 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RFRY

Ah! Thanks, Chuck. It was just wierd enough to look into.

And you're right, the hybrids line was pretty choice. I can't believe I forgot it.

April 28 2006 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Lawson

I thought this was an excellent episode on the whole... This show has done an exquisite slow burn all season, picking up speed slowly, but at a steady pace, so now we're moving along like a freight train about to collide with... (a hurricane?)

Best lines -- "Go ahead Russell -- kill me! I can't. Why not? The gun's not loaded." (later, at the gas station -) "They're all hybrids. Not the cars, the people."

Riders on the Storm was an excellent choice for the soundtrack. (RFRY -- the Techno-y version in Alias this week was a "mash-up" of Blondie's Rapture and Riders on the Storm called "Rapture Riders")

April 28 2006 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RFRY

Man, how about Roses' hybrid teacher assigning "the Balance of Life and Death" for homework? ...for the 2nd graders. Those hybrids get creepier and creepier every week.

Also, "Riders on the Storm" was particularly perfect because a techno version of it was featured in ABC's evening kick-off, Alias. I wonder if they had some sort of product placement deal or if it's just strange, strange coincidence.

April 28 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Mike: There are three more:

As for this episode, I thought it was excellent, not filler at all. They gave us more of a look at the "overall plan" and showed us how the sides are going to devlop. I also think they're prepping us for the end of the show, not the season. There's no reason for Russ & co. to stay in town anymore, Tom's disillusioned with the whole situation and Szura's getting ready to launch his 'final solution' or whatever you want to call it.

And the music cue of "Riders On The Storm" right after Russ and Dave were talking about how they'd use the cover of the hurricane... brilliant. This show hasn't failed to deliver all season. Not a lot of people are into it, but I can deal with that - I don't need to hear the same ridiculous complaining I have to put up with in my other, more mainstream sci-fi shows (Lost, BSG). Sounds like at this point only real fans are left -- even if they DO call good episodes "filler" *cough*lookingatyoutoomey*cough*

April 28 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Can anyone tell me, how many episodes is in season one of Invasion? thanks!

April 28 2006 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply