July 24, 2014

Kevin Spacey hosts Saturday Night Live season finale

by Richard Keller, posted Apr 28th 2006 8:47AM

Kevin Spacey, season finale host of SNLIt seems that the big guns are being pulled out for the last few weeks of Saturday Night Live. First, it was announced that Tom Hanks, who will probably be promoting his movie The DaVinci Code, would be hosting the May 6th episode along with musical guest Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now we learn from the fan site drivingmrspacey that actor Kevin Spacey will be hosting the May 20th season finale.

Spacey, who will be starring as Lex Luthor in this summer's Superman Returns, hasn't hosted SNL since 1997 (at least according his IMdb entry). This will place him far down the leader board in a tie with, er, Lindsay Lohan.

If you have been reading Jonathan Toomey's SNL reviews this year (and I know you all have), you know that this season has been a bit of a hit-and-miss, with the highlights being the pre-recorded sketches and the TV Funhouse cartoons. Let's see if the combined power of Hanks and Spacey will get the writers pumped to produce some great comedy.

[Thanks to Anthony for the tip]

Michaelah

Spacey is one of the finest actors America has ever produced. And, seeing him on various talk shows, he comes off as incredibly charming and VERY funny. He could be just the breath of life that SNL needs! (a tad late in the season but, hey I'll take it!)

I agree with Shannon. I will believe it when I see it on an official site. The site mentioned says that Daniel Powter is to be musical host then states that "they" don't know who he is!!!! (note to webmaster: GOOGLE. Or get a radio!)

None of this is listed on NBC's site nor Daniel Powter's.

Guess the best we can do is hope the rumor mill is right!!!!

May 01 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

I can't miss that!

May 01 2006 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

I really hope this is true. But I'll believe it when I see on an official NBC website and not a fan site.

April 30 2006 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maryanne

GUYS
KEVIN SPACEY IS THE BEST ACTOR ANYWHERE AND HE CAN DO ANYTHING. COMEDY, DRAMA, WHATEVER YOU GIVE HIM. THAT MAN IS BY FAR ONE OF OUR GREATEST ACTORS. HE IS MY FAVORITE. KEVIN, LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT SNL AND A GREAT SUPERMAN MOVIE (ESPECIALLY WITH YOU IN IT.)I DON'T EVEN CARE WHO PLAYS SUPERMAN - LOL
MARYANNE

April 29 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Solsbury

Thhat '97 SNL show was a good one, thanks to Spacey. Spacey is a great impressionist and he did a bit where he auditioned for Star Wars as Walter Matthau, Christopher Walken and Jack Lemmon. And I seem to remember a "Joe Pesci Show" skit where he did another impression, but I can't remember who. Looking forward to this one as well.

April 28 2006 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

If the best bits aren't even live then what is the point of the show?

April 28 2006 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply