October 31, 2014

Commander-In-Chief coming to DVD this fall

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 29th 2006 7:32PM
Donald Sutherland, Geena DavisFans of Geena Davis' ABC drama will be happy to hear that the first season of the show is coming to DVD on October 3. Though I really hope that the box shown here is just a temporary design. I mean, it looks like the kind of design you'd find on some cheapo DVD in the bargain bin, or some badly made "best of" DVD you might see.

I've never watched Commander-In-Chief. After many years of The West Wing, the show has a lot to live up to, and I can't bring myself to watch it (unfair, I know).

Brenda Kay

I actually became attached to "Commander in Chief," and that is saying a lot since I hate politics and don't watch anything else that is related to politics. I pray it stays on the air. It's a great learning experience also.

June 16 2006 at 4:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

i dont know who you have taking your ratings polls but i think they are sadly mistaken on many shows, including commander in chief,, there are a few really good shows everyone i know watches weekly, and they never miss them,, but none of these people or anybody they know have ever been contacted for a vote... there are several of the top ten shows that i havent met anyone who has watched them..i think a top 10 show should have some other heads rolling over their decisions

May 16 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Carlson

I am sadden to hear Commander In Chief is not coming back. When finally we get a great show women can connect with the network pulls it. Many great shows have come and gone. I will defineatly buy the DVD even if it has a bad cover. Perhaps they can just keep making the DVD version, instead of broadacasting it on live network. This way the people have the upper hand at what they wish to watch for entertainment.

May 16 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Commander is a great show! Geena Davis is such a strong woman president who thoroughly thinks through decisions that realize a moral basis and not compromised with political muck. I wish we could have a president like her in the real White House.

May 05 2006 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DCBarrow

Was there any political intervention to get this show cancelled??

May 04 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula Peare

I really love "Commander In Chief"/ If ABC elects to cancel this show, that would leave only THREE other ABC shows that I watch. ABC has the bad habit of messing with scheduling to the point that I've already given up on some of their shows.
PLEASE DON'T CANCEL THIS SHOW!
Paula

May 04 2006 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

You're not missing much these days. This show started really good. Rod Lurie's first few scripts were great and really captured the idea of what the country's first female president might have to deal with. Then came the thankfully short-lived Bochco era, which pretty much ruined the show. The most recent episodes, under yet another team, is trying its best to recover, but I think it's too little too late. If it comes back for a second season, the show might be able to recover from being Bochcoed, but it will never survive on Thursday evenings. I still think this series would make a great Saturday evening drama. Granted, the show may never again draw 14-16 million viewers like it did in the beginning, but 9-10 million on a Saturday night seems like a hit to me. The show has potential, so I hope ABC gives it another chance, and I hope they get Rod Lurie back.

April 30 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

An October 3 DVD release would seem to indicate both that the show is going to be renewed and that it's going to start sometime later than the beginning of the fall season. (Last season, ABC timed the DVD release of "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" about a month before the second season started.)

If it was going to be cancelled, I would expect the DVD release to be much sooner.

With all the rumors about "Gray's Anatomy" moving to Monday (or Thursday) and "Lost" doing a split season or a non-rerun season starting in January, I am really curious about ABC's upfront schedule. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

April 30 2006 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

*Raises hand*

I actually like this show. It's not great, at all, but I consider it to be the "24" of political dramas. It's loose, silly, and enjoyed best when you don't think too much about it.

But that DVD cover! Oh my word, it looks like the cover of a trashy novel! Except for the words "Season One", you wouldn't reckognize this as a DVD set for a television show. You would mistake it for a cheap fiction book!

April 30 2006 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

"first season of the show is coming to DVD on October 3." Little presumptuous to say first season. Do you really think its coming back? God, I hope not.

April 29 2006 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply