October 25, 2014

The Five: Favorite Food Network shows

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 29th 2006 1:30PM
Rachael RayInspired by this article, I decided to make a list of my top five favorite Food Network shows. None of that silly Top Chef or Celebrity Cooking Showdown nonsense. Just straight-up Food Network.

1) 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray: Okay okay, Rachael Ray is incredibly annoying. Her voice is always raspy, she always finds a reason to giggle, she constantly says "Yum-O!", and she firmly believes that "EVOO" takes less time to say than "extra-virgin olive oil". But, I've got to admit... those Cordon Bleu burgers were pretty damn good. Really, I have tried out several of her recipes without any problems, taste-wise or time-wise (always under 30 minutes!). Granted, I don't sample all of her recipes, but the ones that I've made so far have been fantastic. Once I got over her excessive enthusiasm and too-bubbly personality and gave the actual food a try, I was able to enjoy the show a lot more. Maybe you anti-Rachael people should give her recipes a go instead of just complaining about her oddly-shaped body (eh, I'm not gonna lie... It didn't make a great FHM spread, even after the extreme airbrushing).

2) Unwrapped: Do you know how they make Mystery-flavor Dum-Dums? When the Dum-Dums people switch between huge chunks of flavors in the lollipop machines, the little bit where the two different flavors touch becomes a Mystery-flavor lollipop! I wow people with knowledge like this at cocktail parties. I'm a big hit. Where did I acquire such scholarly information? Unwrapped, of course. I used to love watching this show because I was absolutely fascinated with the backgrounds of different everyday foodstuffs. Like, I'm sure you've wondered who the hell Chef Boyardee really is.

3) Paula's Home Cooking: Butter, mayonnaise, cream, fried chicken, grease. Just the name Paula Deen should send you into a cardiac arrest. Her foods are so sinfully Southern, the TV screen actually starts dispensing heart medication prescriptions. This woman can take absolutely anything and make it outrageously fattening. Got a salad? She'll throw in a dressing of Crisco, sour cream, and extra Bacon Bits. Got water? She'll find a way to deep-fry it and puree it with a couple of Big Macs. I think I go, "Ewww!" more than I go, "Mmm!" while watching this show, but Paula Deen is so lovable and inviting, I can't help but watch. She's like the next-door neighbor who keeps coming over with greasy casserole after greasy casserole. You appreciate the gesture and kindness, but you know you'll never eat the dish.

4) Good Eats: If only there was a Good Eats class in school... Then maybe I'd be able to pass Science. As long as you don't start watching this show because you want to learn a fun new recipe for your next dinner, it's remarkably fun. Alton Brown, the host, breaks down everything to teach the viewer how to perfectly time, measure, weigh, freeze, (insert any cooking-related verb here) even the most basic of dishes (like easy macaroni and cheese).

5) Food Network Challenge: Not much to say about this one. I just like tuning in to the last ten minutes or so to see if people can move their cumbersome creations to the display table without dropping/destroying it. Call it schadenfreude.

Rex from Ars

Rachael Ray should be tried and hanged for crimes against humanity.

May 31 2006 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HandMade

boy meets grill is where it's at

May 19 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

I am soooooooooo burned out by Rachel Ray shows.At first she was ok,but all of a sudden.It was just to much,some days she is on 3 times a day. It is almost like a EVO hell.Enough already!

May 10 2006 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mg

You guys are so off about Rachel Ray. How can you watch her and not get a happy, warm feeling. Her personality is engaging without being fake.

And she is hot. FHM is just use to shooting Paris Hilton. Rachel has the smoking girl-next-door look!

April 30 2006 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Senator K

That FHM spread of Rachel Ray was just...wrong! It's kinda like seeing your mom or your sister in FHM.

What's next? Martha Stewart in lingerie?

April 30 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Schadenfreude? Gee, you're smart! Anyway, I couldn't agree with you more, except that I would take say Everyday Italian should be there. Not only is Giada hot, but she brings a real homey feeling to her Italian family recipes. They're also realtively easy to make, which is not always the case with Italian cooking.

April 29 2006 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I love Rachel Ray because she's a cook, not a trained chef. She also cooks everything in front of you, no swap outs like other shows. This means you learn how to do things or why you use certain items. I recommended my daughter watch her so she can learn some basic techniques and find some recipes she likes. All I know is I want that oval pan of hers!

I also enjoy anything with Tyler Florence just to see Tyler! Food 911 can be interesting depending on what he's making that day. I adore Paula Deen and wish I lived next door to her. I've even got to where I like watching Everyday Italian.

Alot of times Food Network is my background noise around the house. It's much better than soap operas if you ask me.

April 29 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank Murphy

I agree with your choices (especially "Unwrapped") but I also enjoyed "The Next Food Network Star" a lot. I think I might have met the winner about a year and a half ago at a BBQ competition. Please feel free to look at the photo posted on my blog and let me know what you think: http://www.frankmurphy.com/2006/04/guy-smiley.html

April 29 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
myo

Ham on the Street is a new show, it's hilarious. what happens when you microwave eggs? marshmallow peeps? hah!

April 29 2006 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDY

I have tried 5 of her recipes...Whaoo! gr8! just gr8!

April 29 2006 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply