October 25, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Best of TV Funhouse

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 30th 2006 1:46PM
ambiguously gay duo; snlI don't know what Jimmy Fallon did to anger Robert Smigel (or maybe Smigel knows Fallon can take a joke), but I totally appreciated the long-running joke about Ace and Gary thinking he was the best actor ever on SNL. Later on, when they're looking for Jimmy Fallon, they get into a fight with Andy Samburg and Jason Sudeikis and Gary's butt ends up in Andy's face. They also end up wrestling, bringing Jason and Andy's... ahem... relationship into question. And it all ends with Jimmy Fallon (!) pretending to cry as Ace and Gary fly off in their penis-mobile with a naked Jason and Andy. That was a great bit.

There were so many animated shorts in this episode, that I'm only going to write about my favorite ones:

Ambiguously Gay Duo: I feel like we haven't seen Ace and Gary for a really long time. Ace and Gary are trying to defeat the ice monster while all the evil guys are debating over whether they're gay. When they're frozen in ice, the heat of Ace's hand on Gary's butt melts the ice and then they mount each other and fly up the ice monster's butt to defeat him. Classic.

Fun with Audio/Mission Accomplished:  I'd never seen this one! President Bush dressed in different outfits to represent the things he's speaking of (flight suit, Spock outfit, Jesus). Good political fun.

Bambi: I love badass Bambi! To show its patriotism, Disney comes out with Bambi 2002 where Bambi's mother returns with a head wound ("You're not dead!") and then they both kick ass, Matrix-style, with the forest animals chanting, "USA! USA! USA!".

Saddam and Osama:  This went by so fast that I had a hard time reading the subtitles. I found the commercials to be the funniest. The 'Rocks!' commercial killed me, though: Palestinian kids with specially-decorated rocks to throw at Jewish soldiers. Did anyone notice the credits of that cartoon listed Sean Penn as a writer? Ha!

Sexual Harassment and You: I adore Fred Armisen. His googly eyes at all the women in his office were great. This pointed out a great double-standard in offices: the creepy-looking guys can't get away with sexual harassment but the handsome guys can... because they're handsome.

Michael Jackson:  Michael Jackson picking up kids with a Saturday morning cartoons look. So wrong but so funny. But so wrong that I had that uncomfortable laugh. Jackson gets special glasses that make women look like Webster, 'BP' ("Before Pubes"- gross!). He hooks up with Tara Reid and lusts over her because she looks like a little boy.

Peanuts Power:  The Peanuts gang realize they "possess an awesome power". By waving their hands near broken down stuff (like cars, homeless and hookers), they can make them shiny and new! There was also a nod to this spoof in the Jews at Christmas song.

The Ex-Presidents:  Reagan, Bush Sr, Carter, and Ford rescue the world from a Constitution-gone-wild. This cartoon includes great one-liners like, "We the People think you suck" and "Here's a new amendment, you're a homo" and "You have the right to bear this, bitch!" Plus, digs at Strom Thurmond and Ted Kennedy. Out of all the long-running TV Funhouse cartoons, The Ex-Presidents is my favorite.

What cartoons did you wish they included in the show?

Kendra

Did anyone see the Smurf one ? Smurfvette was all grown up and was Anna Nicole Smith. She was druged out, cussing and fat she even sounded like Anna. It was so funny. Does anyone know where I can find this online ?

July 14 2006 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Where was Christmas Time for the Jews and Belated Black History Moment (with Dennis Haysbert)? Those two were freakin' awesome.

July 08 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Ah, that's alright, Vito. We can be friends again. :)

May 01 2006 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HH

Mike - In actuality, most of the creators of the early comic book heroes and villains were all Jewish, the Penguin and Joker for example, so there doesn't seem to be anything to that "theory."

May 01 2006 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vanessa

Oh, I hated that they kept cutting some of them off. I loved the Charlie Brown parody and they didn't finish it! I was hoping the Ex-President's would have been the one with Nixon. I asked Robert last year if he would ever do them again and he said no because of Regan. Can't he just put Bill in the group? That's my favorite cartoon!

April 30 2006 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vanessa

I was so happy to see him! I thought he'd be on and by the end I gave up. Then there he pops up! :) I recorded it on dvd, thank god. I got to screen cap it. Man, I sure miss that boy. I hope that rumor about him hosting next year is true.

April 30 2006 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angela

Dammit! I hope they re-run this episode this summer. I had a raging headache and fever last night and went to bed early...Apparently a storm shorted the power last night and my DVR shut off and didn't record it! I am heartbroken...

April 30 2006 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Truly it was worth the time to watch.

The Osama and Saddam short was amazing! Yes, the rocks were funny, as was the Batman versus the Jew, and the OTHER JEW, and THE OTHER JEW! (I've read the theory that many "bad guys" in comics have Jewish facial features, like crooked noses, so this ad was funny for a few reasons.)

I was surprised they didn't show the X-Presidents short that guest starred AG Duo. I remember it (not so fondly) since the AG Duo tried to put their vehicle into a cave and, failing initially, lubricated the vehicle. Everyone stopped and stared.

m

April 30 2006 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

Not to be crass (as my sides are still hurting from laughing so hard last night), but nothing, I mean nothing, has had me laugh quite so disturbingly as the eight teeted coyote in the last rather wacky Jellystone Park riff - was that call the "animaltomicals"?

Truly, it was the funniest hour and a half I've seen in that slot in a few score........

April 30 2006 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I'm sorry, I didn't intend it to be snarky! I missed that part of it, and by your comments about Jimmy Fallon, I thought maybe you'd missed that final part of it where he was in on the joke. Sorry again if it came across as sarcastic.

April 30 2006 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply