September 2, 2014

Supreme Court supports Anna Nicole Smith

by Richard Keller, posted May 1st 2006 8:18PM

Anna Nicole with Marshall in 1994. Mitchell
Gerber/CorbisThe United States Supreme Court has ruled that former Playboy playmate and reality TV star Anna Nicole Smith can pursue part of her late husband's estate. I don't believe any of us thought that the nouns Anna Nicole Smith and Supreme Court would ever be put in the same sentence, but stranger things have happened.

In an unanimous decision, the nine justices agreed that Smith had the legal grounds to collect millions of dollars from J. Howard Marshall's estate. Current estimates put Marshall's estate at approximately $1.6 billion. Smith married the then 89-year-old Marshall back in 1994 when she was just 26-years-old. He died one year later and the battle for his estate began shortly afterwards between Smith and the members of Marshall's family.

Initially, Anna Nicole was awarded nearly half of Marshall's estate by a federal bankruptcy judge. Eventually it was rejected by the 9th Circuit Court in San Francisco. The case will now go back to the California courts for another ruling.

From 2002-2004, Anna Nicole appeared on her own reality show; The Anna Nicole Show. She has recently become a spokesperson for the diet product company Trimspa.

Robert

You are all morons. I hope you all have to endure what the Marshall's have had to endure. If you have a will, tear it up; it's worthless. The old man left all his money to his son who brought him much more happiness than Anna. Anna wasn't happy about that so she sues for more. Hopefully this happens to all of you.

June 06 2006 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Citizen..your point is what? I do not believe it is a crime (it may be immoral, but not criminal) to be in it for the money.

May 03 2006 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
citizen

she should not get anything.

look at her and the 80 year old man!!!!!!!!

there is no question that she was in it for the money!!

May 02 2006 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

I am just really glad that we will be getting to hear more about this for the next decade. The last ten years just weren't enough for me. Maybe Anna Nicole can turn this whole adventure into another rockin' reality show.

May 02 2006 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linh Pham

I think Ana deserves at least half of the estate. Sure, she was in for the money, he got what he wanted--a feeling as if he were young again, a relationship. She made the old man happy on his last year of life. What had his children done for him?

May 02 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evil Dad

Hell, I hope she gets the money. What guy wouldn't want that for a wife? I mean, she's got her looks back and she's loaded!

May 02 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
happy singh

The old man had the money and the stripper. Now who are we to talk about the s#$! left behind. I would be happy with little of both :-)

May 02 2006 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
restricted

i think it is all stupid

May 02 2006 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rickyrapp

"1. Actually, the SCOTUS did not rule Smith had the gronds to collect the money. It ruled the US cout of Appeals overstepped its authority in hearing the Bankruptcy Court's case. I has been remanded for anoher trial cout to decide wether Smith gets the money.

Posted at 8:53PM on May 1st 2006 by Jamie "

Holy what? When Anna wins her billions, do us all a favor and write to her and ask that she buy you a new keyboard for Christ's sake. You'd think Anna herself typed that slop.

May 02 2006 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K

Personally I'm happy for Anna, and I hope she gets the money that is rightfully hers. Sure his children deserve a large portion of the money as well. But Anna's husband wanted to take care of her and her son. I'm sure he would be highly disappointed at how is children are treating his wife. I think Anna is a very sweet person that has had to overcome many obstacles, she doesnt deserve to be talked about the way that she is.

May 02 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply