December 20, 2014

Gilmore Girls: Driving Miss Gilmore

by Joel Keller, posted May 2nd 2006 10:39PM
Gilmore Girls: Driving Miss Gilmore(S06E21) This season's going to end badly, isn't it?

I mean, we all see it now, don't we? Lorelai thinks that her engagement is kaput and Luke doesn't have a clue. Emily is hinting around at how much Christopher has changed, torturing Lor with a  matchmaking list of snooty society women that they both know aren't right for him (of course we all know who is, right)? She shows Lorelai the gorgeous house that she and Richard are buying for Luke and Lorelai, and Lor just breaks down (slowly, but still...).

So here we are. One episode left, and it doesn't take a spoiler to show us that the Palladinos are going to leave Luke and Lor in tatters, with Lor in the arms of Christopher. Not exactly the way anyone planned their exit, was it?

Really, most of the sub-plots on this episode feel tacked-on, even though they were entertaining. Michel mistakenly drinks 2% milk instead of skim, so he walks around doing calisthenics to burn the extra calories. Jackson (we never see him anymore, by the way) and Sookie try to figure out a way to get rid of three huge garbage bags of pot that Jackson's old farmhands grew on a fallow part of his land. Oh, and Liz is pregnant; she's so afraid she's going to screw up with this kid like she screwed up with Jess that she throws T.J. out of the house (she was just projecting a wee bit onto poor T.J.). Luke goes and finds T.J. and helps them patch things up.

About that scene: not so subtle, are you, Palladinos? After Luke threatens T.J., thinking he left his pregnant wife, T.J. explains the situation and the two sit down to a beer. Luke tells him that sometimes women say one thing when they mean another; sometimes they say nothing at all. It's T.J.'s job to figure out what Liz is feeling and support her. Sage advice, Mr. Oblivious. I wonder how many simultaneous anyeurisms Lorelai would have if she heard you say that?

The way Lorelai finds out about the new house was an hour-long tease, but a funny one. Emily goes to get LASIK surgery, but something goes wrong and she's left with compromised vision for a couple of days. Of course, she pulls a "Sarah Bernhardt", as Lorelai called it, and makes like she's blinded for life. She fires everyone Richard sends to help her and asks Loreali to driver her around for the day in this massive SUV that Lorelai calls "a rap video set". This is where Emily drops the hints about Christopher, and spills the news about the house in a real estate office. Even though it showed a nice funny banter between Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop, one we haven't seen in extended form in quite a while, it really just served to set up Lorelai's heartbreak at the end. Emily's reaction to Lor's breakdown -- the tentative but sympathetic hand on Lorelai's shoulder -- was also great to see; I just wish it didn't have to happen under these circumstances.

Oh, the Rory plot: Logan's recovering, with doting help from Rory, even to the point where she has Paris and Doyle watch him as she works at the Yale Daily News. Logan's dad tells the Wall Street Journal that he gave Rory, who's not the Daily News editor, her first internship, implying that his largess helped her career. Rory is incensed, of course, considering Mitchum skewered her skills and sent her into a six-month downward spiral. A woman remembers these things. She tries to get the WSJ reporter to make a clarification, but doesn't get it (the statement is technically correct). Logan tries to assure her that this is a good thing and his father's an ass. We'll see how this plays out next week.

So for every Gilmore-ish moment in this episode -- the spaghetti and meatballs Friday night dinner that devolves into the inevitable meatball-poking argument about Ashlee Simpson, for instance -- there is a moment of sadness, angst, and heartbreak. Great acting job by Lauren Graham again, watching her slowly break down as she looks at the pictures of the house and realizes her and Luke aren't going to happen. But I just wish the season wasn't going down this road. A season of Luke and Lorelai blithely bantering through their first year of marriage as Rory graduates Yale would have made for a fine final season. Now we might be seeing another messy Lorelai/Christopher entanglement and Rory running away with Logan as he toes the Huntzberger line in Europe.

Good luck, David Rosenthal. Your bosses are leaving you a huge mess.

Nestle

All I have to say is I love Rory, I love Lorelai, I love Logan and I also love Christopher. I think Logan is the best thing for Rory, and I think that is Luke is goin to choose April then Lorelai needs to move on with her life weather it be with Christopher or not. Oh, and I would love to see Rory and Logan get married!

May 25 2006 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy George

I agree with some of you about the show the people who portray the characters are genuine. They make their character come alive. I do not agree that Luke and Lorelai should break up every couple has problems, the need to work things out. Luke should not keep Lorelai in the dark. He condems her if she doesn't tell him everything. He needs to include her especially with April. They need to plan and have their wedding including April and Rory, and her parents. Richard and Emily need to support Lorelai not work against her.About Logan and Rory I think they make a great couple, he brought her out of her shell. She has really grown as a person and I think Logan needs to finish college but grow up and stand up to his father.
Also stop doing crazy things but still have fun. Logans father will gain Logans respect faster by letting his son be on his own and be there when he is needed

May 21 2006 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gadlaw

All I want is a happy ending. Witty banter, great chemistry between the characters and a nice march to the happy ending. If I want a soap opera I'd watch General Hospital. If I want Greek Tragedy I'll watch Greek Tragedy. I like Gilmore Girls because it's cute and witty and fun and smart and touching and I enjoy knowing it's coming on. I didn't enjoy Rory the criminal not caring episodes and I don't like what I'm hearing about this last episode. Generally it's been a great run so far but when it gets too painful to watch because it's bad (in my opinion) and I don't like what's happening to the characters I turn it off. At least House is still House.

May 09 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alyssa

Ok, like most of you said, L&L`s thing is over.I think this is why:
~April showing up, I think Luke should have known about her.
~ Anna, big problem, who is she to say who Luke wants April to meet?
~ The wedding, all though it was great to see Laine get married "Cher" had way to much to drink, although I do wish Luke was there, for all of it. He has no clue that his girlfriend is WAY to unhappy.
~ The House, I deffently cried the whole time, Emily is the niceest person, in this episode.
That his my downhill moments. If you saw the preveiws for next week you will know it is OVER!

May 09 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsey

I, for one, have been a huge fan of this show for years. I watched for the characters i grew to love (Luke, Lorelai, the Gilmores, the Townies), the relationships they developed with one another, and the fantastc writing and acting. This year, that has all been flushed down the tubes.

The Rory/Lorelai relationship was stretched to the limits with the rift and never did recover fully. The relationship between the four Gilmores has also been stretched to the point where Emily and Richard are almost unbearable and are just thrown in every once in awhile when necessary.

I can't even remember the last time there was a festival or town meeting (which were some of the best and my favorite parts of the show) and the Townies we all love (Kirk, Babbette, Miss Patty, etc.) or love-to-hate (Taylor). They have been pushed aside for "dramatic" storylines.

I also can't believe that the Palladino's came up with this April/Anna storyline just to keep Luke/Lorelai away from the altar longer. It was their idea of "good tv", but how "good" is it?.

Luke and Lorelai are no longer the people they once were. Best friends who feel inlove but didn't want to admit it. The guy who was always in the background and the "friend" finally got the girl. Their chemistry was amazing and they had a bond that was undeniable and beautiful to watch develop. But, over this last year they have become shadows of what they once were, and it's no longer enjoyable to watch.

It seems that this show is headed towards Chris/Lorelai, but why? This couple had closure a year ago at the vow renewal; she choose Luke. I think they are good friends, but i think it has been pretty obviouse that over the last year all Lorelai has felt for Chris is friendship.

I think we all know that in the end it will be Luke/Lorelai, that the Gilmore's will all be on good terms, and the sun will set on Stars Hollow as we fade-out from the Gilmore-Danes clan and their extended family.

The question is, will any body still be watching or care anymore about this show we grew to love over five years?

May 08 2006 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MACEY

JESS&RORY SHOULD BE TOGETHER!!!!! thank you have a nice day =)

May 08 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marlena

Ok, you know what i think? Amy and Dan are going completely kamikaze (and, for once, i mean that in the almost literal sense of the word).I think that they are just pissed that they couldnt come to an agreement w/ WB so theyre like you know what? screw you, WB. We are going to run this show into the ground and do everything that the majority of the viewers DONT want so that they stop watching!!! YOU WILL RUE THE DAY THAT YOU PISSED OFF AMY AND DAN PALLIDINO!!!!!RRAAWWWRRR!!!!!!!! So, yeah, that's what i think. if i were in charge of the show, logan would have died in that fall, jess would come back to comfort rory, luke and lorelai would miraculously be together and get married on june third and get along as well as luke and lorelai can, finn and colin would come to live with me, rory would never have been so stupid as to quit yale, the hole in the ozone layer would be fixed and so would the impending water shortage issue, and- well, you get the point. amusing episode, but the fact that they are murdering a relationship, what, eight years in the making pisses me off. a lot. thanks,
-Marlena

May 06 2006 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GS

I didn't read all of the comments, but I thought it was nice to see Rory and Logan together again and happy. Reminds me of why I liked Logan at the beginning. Cheeky and caring.

May 06 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brittany

I love Gilmore Girls!!! I love the writers!!! I love Conflict!!! I love the characters and the choices they are making; their choices are human!!! How fun is it to watch things unfold! Bravo to the writers for making all of you upset. The show is obviously influencing some heated dispute! That's what keeps many things in the entertainment world a float. When all of you have your own shows to create and write them all with happy endings....I wish you the best of luck paying the bills!

May 05 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkey

Luke and Lorelai are gonna break up next Tuesday, aren't they *cry* Chris isn't right for her, Luke is. Next episode is gonna be nerve-wracking, putting some in tears at the end. C'mon, Palladinos, show us some slack!

May 05 2006 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply