October 25, 2014

Nick at Nite moves further into the Nineties

by Joel Keller, posted May 2nd 2006 7:33PM
NewsRadioRemember those halcyon days when Nick at Nite used to show TV classics like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and I Love Lucy? Yeah, it's hard for me to remember those days, too. Ever since the advent of sister network TV Land, the powers that be at Nickelodeon have seen fit to put old favorites there and leave Nick at Nite for fans of TV's most recent past. Lately, it's been in Eighties mode, with shows like Cheers, The Cosby Show, and Full House in heavy rotation. But the Nineties aren't far behind, with Mad About You recently joining Nineties stalwarts Roseanne and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in the lineup.

Now, according to this press release, Nick at Nite will be becoming very Nineties-oriented over the next year or so, with the additions of Home Improvement, Designing Women, A Different World, and Bob's favorite show, NewsRadio. What's next, Seinfeld?

Also, does this mean that the shows from the Eighties are going to be pushed to TV Land? If so, where will the older stuff go? The dusty confines of our memories aren't enough. I guess I'll have to stock up on the DVDs...

[via The Futon Critic]

tbrad425

Try MeTV and RTV. I have totally stopped watching Nick. These channels show Mary Tyler Moore, the Partridge Family, Maude, Hazel, and a bunch of old favs. I used to love Nick but it has changed.

September 04 2011 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ErricZ

Newsradio rocks! We get to re-visit the greatest comic mind in recent history: Phil Hartman!!!!!!!!!

May 04 2006 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Ah, nostalgia...it's catching up with us. Soon enough, we'll be fondly remembering those bygone salad days of last week. Remember? Wasn't it just -- what? VH1 already does that sort of thing? Oh. Well, I guess Nick will have to start airing current sitcoms, then airing sitcoms *before* they're in repeats -- pre-emptive nostalgia. There's really nowhere else for the trend to go.

May 03 2006 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Newsradio....oh yeah!!!!
How about a separate channel though for all the 60's shows we love...like My Three Sons, etc......

May 03 2006 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

Newsradio? Hell yeah!

May 03 2006 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jorge Asch

That's nothing. I remember when they showed The Donna Reed show, The Patti Duke Show, Mr Ed and others.

May 02 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

Just don't dump 'Full House'. The kids LOVE that show, and it comes on at 8:00 AM from the West Coast feed for them to watch.

I think the addition of 'Home Improvement' is a fairly logical choice for TV Land. At least it will get rid of the 10 showings of 'Roseanne' a night.

May 02 2006 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r.r.r.

i am SO excited about newsradio being on nick at nite. but does home improvement really need to be on there though? isn't designer women on lifetime as well? boo those indeed. :p

May 02 2006 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

NewsRadio ROCKS! This is awesome news!!

May 02 2006 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Joel, you just made my day.

May 02 2006 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply