July 28, 2014

Law and Order: SVU - Fat

by Richard Keller, posted May 3rd 2006 1:36AM

Law and Order: SVU detectives Benson and Stabler(S07E19) Anthony Anderson has been playing a lot of heavy characters these past two years, and I'm not talking about his wait weight. Ba-Da-Dum! Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Seriously, Anderson is known for his comedic roles in television shows such as All About the Andersons and movies like Scary Movie 3 (and 4) and Harold & Kumar go to White Castle (hilarious scene). I mean, he was in Kangaroo Jack for crying out loud. However, we have seen Anderson's serious side over the past two years. Last year and this, he portrayed villain Antwon Mitchell on the FX show The Shield. On this episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit he portrays Lucius Blaine, Elliot Stabler's (Chris Meloni) replacement partner.

Wait, where's Stabler's original partner, Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay)? Well, jump on through and we'll catch you up.

At the end of the last original episode (lovingly reviewed by the beautiful Anna Johns), Benson asked Captain Cragen (Dann Florek) to be reassigned. In this episode, she has been relocated to the Computer Crimes division, where she plays an integral part to the investigation. So, enter Detective Blaine from the SVU precinct in Queens.

Stabler takes an immediate dislike to Blaine and his tactics. And, why not? Blaine is loud, confrontational, and willing to bend the rules to get the information he needs. Sound familiar? Could it be, hmmm, Stabler? Why, yes it is; Cragen assigned Blaine to be his partner to show him a mirror image of himself.

It worked to calm Stabler down, to some extent. Actually, what calmed the detective down was punching Blaine in the face after a remark about Benson that he didn't appreciate. After that little tiff, things seemed to smooth down a bit. In fact, the whole dynamic of the partnership changed as Stabler took on Olivia's role as the calm detective while Blaine played the heavy. It made for a breath of fresh air.

While Stabler and Blaine worked out their issues, there was an actual case to solve. It involved the assault and rape of prestigious teenage piano player Jessica Delay (played by Tricia Mara) by a brother and sister who were angry about a beating their adult brother allegedly received from Delay and her friend. However, that wasn't the real story. It actually had two levels; on the one level the brother and sister, and the adult brother who was beaten up, were all obese. It was not only a case of prejudice due to them being African-American, but also because they were fat.

On another level it was about a girl who was overweight herself in the past. That girl was Delay. In a deft display of interrogation by Blaine and Stabler that reminded me of detectives Goren and Eames on sister show Criminal Intent, they managed to get the girl to admit the crime and her hatred of fat people.

In all this was a good episode that touched on a lot of issues. We even got to see a bit of Detective Benson in this episode as she discovered a website that showed a photo of the man getting beaten up and comments being made by the teenage girl. The only things missing from this episode were Detectives Munch and Tutuola (Richard Belzer and Ice-T). Other than one or two episodes this season, they haven't been around too much. In fact, it's been all Benson and Stabler this season. Hopefully that will change as the season comes to an end. See you next week.

christine searfoss

please!!!!!!!!!!!!!someone tell me where i can find out more about this episode and the episodes web, and influence!!!!!!!!!!! :( my email addys Jesus_i_stand4U@yahoo.com please reply to me with info....ill take info on anything! screenshots, transcripts(especially :),video clips.......thanks so much! :)

July 14 2006 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mizeeyore

being a die-hard L&O SVU fan, when Olivia came into Capt. Cragen's office and said "i want a new partner" i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Benson without Stabler would be like tea with no honey (yeah i know -- that was lame so what f*ckuverymuch LOL)

you might say i immediately went into SVU withdrawals. not seeing Olivia anymore? oh the pain of it all! then when i saw Anthony Anderson paired up with Elliot, i was like WTF???? and then when the Captain called both of them out, the light bulb came on and i got it. the Cap paired the two of them together for a reason - for Stabler to see himself in another cop - bending the rules, explosive temper, emotional detachment. when Stabler realized what the Captain did, i think it began to make him see just how he was with Benson, and the final straw that separated them.

last week's episode showed Olivia coming back to SVU. woooooohooooo! man was i glad to see her! the thing is tho, who's gonna replace her while she's on mommy leave? please, not Anthony Anderson again, i hope.

this is one kick-ass show and ALL of the characters (Benson, Stabler, Fin, Munch) have something to offer in this series. i read where someone said Fin and Munch dont get to play heavy parts. i disagree. there were some very moving and emotional scenes played by both Fin and Munch, in some of the older episodes. Munch, being the cynic that he is, actually shed tears for a deaf woman who wanted to stop her dialysis treatment and die, and in another episode, where a little girl lay in a coma, he came to her hospital room and read her a story. i was like awwwwwwwwwwwww LOL

Fin also has played some emotional roles too. i recall one of the older episodes where he helped a young woman get into rehab to kick her heroin addiction, and in another, where he helped a young African-American woman find her kidnapped daughter. so both Fin and Munch both have a caring heart under those ruffneck/cynical exteriors.

tomorrow nite is the season finale. i hope it's a good one, and i also hope Mariska Hargitay (Olivia) comes back to SVU.

FYI: did any of y'all know that she has a picture of her real mother, Jayne Mansfield on her desk?

May 15 2006 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nadia Sindi

Last May 2005, I ran for the Eugene, Oregon School Board , against the executive of Pepsi cola Eric Forrest. I was followed, stalked, telephone harassment, hate emails, more than 5 a day on my blog, and run over several times on my way home. I was almost going to be killed. Just because of the corruption of Corporate Power and some of our elected officials!

The previous superintendent David Piercy and his wife Mayor Kittie Piercy, had played a bigger role in destroying me. KEZI our local TV station paraded me with the help of Chamber of Commerce.

They picked up a Jewish woman Aria Seligmann to run against me, to spilt the progressive community. So, all the Zionists came after me.

I had to file a stalking order to stop Aria and her campaign manager "Green Party chair" William Maxwell.

My two legislators' Sen. Vicki Walker -defended Pepsi executive: By blaming the obesity of the children on their family. Vicki said the "the children come to school obese. It is not the soda in the school to be blamed"- Rep. Bob Ackerman who had forged my family's signature and defrauded us, sold my family's condo, that worth $150, 000.00 by giving us only $41,000.00!-
Then Mr. Ackerman listed the condo by a higher price than he actually sold it!

My commissioner Bobby Green, my councilman Gray Pape, and three other Councilors endorsed Eric Forrest. And the so called, progressive councilors such as Bonnie Bettman, Andréa Ortiz and "Mayor for all Eugene, but not the Arabs or Muslim" Kittie Piercy endorsed the other candidate who was not even democrat or qualified! And of course the previous Mayor Jim Torrey, who's running now for legislature seat,. Jim Torrey head the kids Sport to hide his agenda of supporting junk food in the schools !

All the elected members of the Eugene school Board endorsed and appointed Eric Forrest to the Board.

The 4J Superintendent George Russel, with our Superintendent Susan Castillo too were very much supportive of Eric Forrest and Soda in the Schools.

My life was in peril & still is, just, because of $320.000.00 contribution from the soda executives. This contribution was not even invested in a good healthy food!

Read about it in our RG paper Tuesday April 11-06:

www.registerguard.com:

We must put stop to this kind of abuse and corruption. We need to hold our elected official accountable for their misconduct and greed.

www.nadiasindi.blogspot.com

May 09 2006 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m

is Benson coming back to SVU once the actress comes back from maternity leave?

May 04 2006 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Glad to see Anthony Anderson show that he can do drama as well as he can do comedy.
He deserves his own drama.

May 03 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I usually like SVU more than any other L&O, but this was a God-awful episode. It simply was ridiculous, covering too many threads of a story. They never explain why the girl was sexually attacked; her assailants were after her out of revenge. There was no "reason" for this to be SVU as opposed to the other L&Os. Then the defense of the case was that the man who was attacked because he was fat was justified in killing his attacker because society made him fat -- i.e. soda in the schools and sugary cereals pushed by cartoons on TV! The ultimate twist was that the other suspect, the girl who was originally attacked sexually, had a fat phobia because she was a former fatty who couldn't get over the way she'd been abused in high school! What a mess -- and a waste. And just for the record, I'm a Weight-Watcher drop out myself and I didn't buy a minute of this malarchy.

May 03 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

This show is one of the top 3 Dramas on television. (The other for me being Lost and then maybe Smallville or Prison Break.)

I was sad that Anthony Anderson only did one episode. At first I hated him, but after Stabler punched him and Craigon said, "does he remind you of anyone" I just got it. What a great gag, after that point I really liked the new detective and liked the pairing.

Also that scene in the locker room with Benson, was amazing. She rocks.

May 03 2006 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

Thanks for seeing that. I was a bit tired when I wrote this review and I missed the spelling.

May 03 2006 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annoyed

Yeah! I'm so sick of this being the "Elliot and Olivia show" when they're completely ignoring the two best characters.

May 03 2006 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Dufresne

"Anthony Anderson has been playing a lot of heavy characters these past two years, and I'm not talking about his wait."

Just as an FYI -- I think you meant "weight", as opposed to "wait."

Just wanted to let you know. :)

May 03 2006 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply