December 21, 2014

Lost: Two for the Road

by C.K. Sample, III, posted May 3rd 2006 10:54PM
(S02E20) Is it just me, or is it really funny (in a meta-sort of way) that tonight's Ana Lucia-centric episode of Lost is called Two for the Road? I mean, considering that Rodriguez was recently busted for drunk driving, the producers have to be busting her chops with that setup. Maybe it was a clue of things to come in the episode...

If you missed the episode, remember, ABC now offers the show for free online viewing (albeit ad-supported viewing). Watch it before you read too much further in this post, or you're sure to encounter a  spoiler or two.

As you might remember from the last new episode we had, oh so many weeks ago, we left with Jack and Kate seemingly about to kiss when Michael burst forth from the jungle and passed out. This episode begins at the same point, and the Michael story line is balanced nicely against Ana Lucia's flashbacks and dealings with her anger at Henry Gale, who at the beginning of the episode attempts to strangle her to death.

For more details, continue reading after the jump...

There were a lot of crazy "OH MY GOD" moments in this episode, so let's start with the big juicy one: Ana has sex with Sawyer in order to get a gun from him, ostensibly so that she can kill Henry Gale for attempting to strangle her. However, as we all know from Shannon and Sayid's romance, if you are an unwed female on the island, and you have sex with a man, you're doomed to die in that same episode. That's exactly what happens at the end of the episode in the craziest twist I've ever seen.

But there were hints throughout the episode that she was going to die. In her flashbacks, she's Jack's dead father's bodyguard for his trip to Sydney, while he drinks and drinks and drinks and talks a lot about fate. Fate = we, the Producers of Lost do not support drunk driving and so after Michelle Rodriguez (Ana Lucia) and Cynthia Watros (Libby) were arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii, we (the producers) decided to write them out of the show in a very clever way. They named the episode 'Two for the Road', alluding to the drunk driving, and also foreshadowing that both characters would get shot dead at the end of the episode. Buh-bye.

What was amazing was who shot them. We see Ana Lucia sitting with the gun she shagged off of Sawyer, staring at it on the couch, unable to kill Gale. Michael comes up and he asks her what's going on. She tells him that she cannot kill the Other who they've captured, and then Michael makes a very convincing and impassioned speech that he wants to kill the guy. Instead, after Ana gives him the gun, he says "I'm sorry," and shoots her dead, then Libby walks in with laundry and exclaims "Michael!" and he shoots her twice. He then goes into the cell with Henry Gale and shoots himself in the right shoulder. It's clear to me that the Others released Michael and told him the only way that he'd get Walt back is if he betrayed the castaways and helped save Henry Gale. Conveniently, the writers were able to use this structure to nicely kill off two actresses who had become a public embarrassment for the show as a whole.

All in all, it was a great episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. I just feel badly for Sawyer and Hugo. I mean, both of those guys finally manage to line things up right with a few ladies and they die. So Sayid, Sawyer, and Hugo have all lost their on island romances. Who is next?

SM

I thought Michael was going give Henry the gun, let him escape.

Pretend he survived Henry's escape and stay with the survivors.

May 08 2006 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"The brainwashing idea is far fetched because how could he be brainwashed to get the gun that ana lucia got from sawyer who took them all in a coop?"

The brainwashing probably didn't include specific instructions on getting a gun. He was probably brainwashed into getting Henry out and killing the person responsible for killing one of the others. He was just lucky that she happened to have a gun. If there were a pipe lying around he probably would have clubbed her at the opportune time.

"And couldn't they have gotten Henry back themselves?"

Not without the combination to the safe. Also, they may not have wanted to get Henry, but rather test Michael. Remember, these people are heavily armed and highly trained. They have the capability of killing everyone on the Island. There is some plan they have that has yet to be revealed.

May 06 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kiah

1) Jacks dad said "she's my daughter", he did NOT mention having another son.

2) Libby told Hurley that she would get the blankets and that HE should get the wine.

3) I TOTALLY agree that "The Bad Twin" refers to Michael! Wow!

4) Why are they killing Libby? Her story just started! I am so confused! Is Hurley going to eat himself into oblivion now?

5) I LOVE that Anna Lucia pulled a con on the island's #1 con-man! But the scene seemed weird, like a lesbian being forced to have sex with a man.

May 05 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rickyrapp

Anybody catch the numbers of the squad cars at the beginning of Anna Lucia's first flashback?

15, 16, 23, 42...

The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!

May 05 2006 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

1. Was this a theme? jokingly, I observed that Mike just killed off two hot chicks while on a deserted island with a bunch of dudes. There are only three left, and good luck getting at Sun. Plus, I had the same feeling when Jack grabbed the manuscript and burned the ending. There might not be much reading material left on that island, and he burned it. Fucking dick. It sounds like a joke, but instead of preserving the most important things, they're burning and killing them. Honestly, stranded on an island, the things I'd want most would be a woman and reading material.

2. I'm surprised nobody's talking about henry telling john he's one of the good ones. I don't know what that was about, but I'd be interested to hear what others think it was... even if you thought it was clear;)

3. My interpretation of Michaels behavior was that he was trying to quicken the war by making it look like Henry escaped. The brainwashing idea is far fetched because how could he be brainwashed to get the gun that ana lucia got from sawyer who took them all in a coop? And couldn't they have gotten Henry back themselves?

4. The fact that Libby had wine seemed extraneous until you guys pointed out that that's what may have looked like blood. How could they start her backstory and then kill her off?

5. Is it possible they named the show this week in honor of the arrests? More importantly (OK, I'm completely making up conspiracies here, but this is a Lost blog, after all) how much would it cost to bribe a cop to arrest an actress for drunk driving as a publicity stunt? Is that too elaborate for this show of phony commercials? Of course an actress might agree - A. she'd still get paid. B. They haven't been convicted as far as we know. (I don't think that 'clearly' happened, I'm just throwing some fuel on this fire)

May 05 2006 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joenormal

Finally they bring up the Manuscript. I've been waiting for this. Check it out on Amazon. Sounds interesting...maybe Locke has a twin brother, thats EVIL!!!

May 05 2006 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

The manuscript Sawyer was reading was titled "The Bad Twin"...a foreshadowing of Michael(?)

May 05 2006 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biff

Bottom Line.

Micheal is now bad. He is now an other.
Henry Gale is the leader. (Don't believe a word from Henry, except for the Locke comment.)
Locke is wanted by the others as henry said.

Some of the survivors may stay at the end, when ever that will be? 4 seasons? 5 perhaps?

Spin offs after Lost ends?
Hurley get his own show? Hurley Happy Hour?
Sawyer : New version of "Let's Make a Deal"?

May 05 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K31

Thanks for acknowledging that Joel.
But just a clarification: I wasnt implying that Shannon was an other. What I meant by my comment is that the others themselves (in the plot further on down the line) may try to recruit the losties who have a special-ness to them and that Shannon could have been considered special b/c she was the only one seeing Walt. Sorry if I was not clear before. But I think Scott was right; I think Ana did kill a woman other when the tailies were attacked on the beach one night and all the kids were taken.

Dre: check out comment #54I already laid claim to that theory. : )

May 05 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HavePh8

Nah, I think you got this wrong. Michael didn't do it because he had a deal with the Others. I think he did it to push people to war with the Others!! I mean, Jack was gonna go with him...possibly with a few others(A-L, Sawyer, Kate maybe) but that's it. By killing 2 of their own this has the potential to piss a lot of people on his side.

May 05 2006 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply