July 29, 2014

Thief: In the Wind (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 3rd 2006 9:19PM

Thief; F/X; Andre Braugher; Mae Whitman; Photo Credit - Eric Liebowitz(S01E06) Two words: very satisfying. This episode gave you everything you would want from a season finale. There was enough left to keep you hanging, but plenty was tied up in case Thief doesn't return for a full-order second season. I haven't seen any ratings, but I don't think we'll be seeing a return as I got the impression that this show grabbed a small audience. Regardless, this was a fantastic filler to tide F/X fans over as they transitioned from The Shield to Rescue Me (which returns on Tuesday, May 30).

All hell has broken loose. No one in Nick's crew can agree on anything and that fact that the Feds (led by an over-zealous agent named Patterson) are hot on their trail isn't helping either. But as I assumed last week, Nick had to make a choice between the score and Tammi. The reason he had to make such a choice was the real surprise.

I really thought Riley was one of the good guys. He helped Nick set up for the score after Ros was taken out of the equation and he seemed like a genuinely nice chap. But after the Feds showed up at his place to question him about any involvement he may have had with Nick's crew, Riley's motives changed quickly. He held Tammi hostage and Nick paid him almost $6 million (!) to get her back. It was his entire chunk of the score. It that doesn't prove to you that Nick is one of the good guys, I don't know what will.

After Tammi realized how much Nick just paid to get her back, he tells her everything. He even buys back Wanda's ring for Tammi at the pawn shop. Again, good guy deeds. He tells her that he already paid for a few semesters at a private school in California. She can't go to her father in Hawaii and they both know it. Nick will just have to disappear for a while though.

The rest of the crew doesn't fare so well. Elmo got picked up by the feds after the guy from the airport ID'ed him. Gabo never received proper medical attention after Vincent shot him. After Gabo took off with his cash, he parked under a bridge and I think we're to believe that he sat there and slowly bled to death. Not really sure though. Both of those guys are up in the air. Same for Jack too. He just took off. His girlfriend from church wouldn't come with him though.

Here's what I didn't like: the Vincent storyline. The entire season it was bothersome. It didn't add or detract from the show. It was just there, helping to round out the hour. The elder Chinese mobster ("uncle") flew to New Orleans to help Vincent, but he was pretty PO'ed that Vincent let Billy die. The Uncle will never know that Vincent was the one who pulled the trigger. Then he tried to take out Vincent but wasn't quick enough... and that was it. I really didn't like this side of the show.

Should Thief return though, Patterson will still be hot on Nick's trail. The agent got around to questioning Detective Hayes' widow and Billy Ray (the guy who built the replica fuselage for the crew to practice with). So he's got plenty of clues and I would figure that it's only a matter of time before he got around to Jack's girlfriend and maybe even Vincent. Plenty of questions still. But like I said, if it doesn't come back, it still ended on a satisfying note.

aaron

This was the first show I went out of my way to make sure I watched every week since Deadwood. While there were problems, it was still better than every other show on television, other than Deadwood.

Pitty.

May 30 2006 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

Frustrating.

This show looked great the hues, tints, colors, New Orleans locale. The cast was excellent - please give Andre series! The heist itself was tense, smart and fun. Just enough sex and violence. Strong writing.

With all of that I have never been so disappointed it was wrapped up in a hit FX package but fell well short. The pacing was off, the secondary storylines inconsistant, odd character development, etc. The MAJOR mistakes were killing too many characters too soon and making the daughter TOTALLY UNLIKEABLE especially since she was also supposed to be the ugly and unlikeable girlfriend on "Arrested Development".

I don't see a second season since most of the nest characters are gone, a wasted opportunity for a potential short series.

Frustrating.

May 23 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis washington

i think that sicx episodes arent enough this show jus like threshold and surface deserve the chance to become the great shows i know they can be they have the potential to become historic shows that pushed bounderies and do things no other show has done before resurrrect these shows!!!!!!!!

May 17 2006 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
holly

i really enjoyed the show and looked forward to watching it each week. my interest was perked from the beginning though since it was shot in my town! lol but after catching a few episodes i was hooked on both the story and looking to see what familiar areas i could see in the background or if i could guess where they were in my city. lol i hate to hear that it is over and prolly won't be coming back. =(

May 09 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pflipster

I liked the show and agree with many of the comments. I would have liked more consistency in the characters. I think Braugher is a good actor and there were other solid performances as well. I agree also that it almost seems stuck between a show that didn't quite have long enough to develop or possibly a good movie that went too long. I also am trying to place the song that was played at the end, but can't. Anyone know what it was?

May 06 2006 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ram

I liked it. It was like a good movie broken up into several episodes. Much better than most TV fare.

May 05 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stone

Damn, file this show under the "Best Show that No One Watched" catagory along with Boomtown. Good show. Not the best, but I don't think that they had much to work with having only 6 episodes. Unfortunately, the cast and crew have given up on a second season. The only thing saving this show is either an Emmy nod or strong DVD sales. (and those are F/X's words, not mine)

May 04 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

Im so pissed I cant describe! This crime doesnt pay bullshit is annoying and stupid. Its clear halfway through the ending they made a decision to go all PC on viewers and fucked up the show which wasnt all that good to begin with. Crap! Crap! Crap!

All my hopes are on Heist now.

May 04 2006 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rickyrapp

This show was sub-par. The whole time watching it, I couldn't wait for it to be over. Maybe since it was only 6 episodes, they couldn't get into more details, but it barely kept my attention. Who cares the Chinese hitman had Parkinsons? Who cares about the corrupt cop's wife? Many dead end storylines that did not add to the overall story. There wasn't enough "action and intrigue". I wanted Bump to leave the snotty brat and keep the millions.

May 04 2006 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply