October 23, 2014

Invasion: Run and Gun

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 4th 2006 3:48PM

Invasion; ABC(S01E20) Consistency ... it's just always good. There's a reason that Surface only had a 15 episode first season, and there's a reason why Threshold got the axe. Invasion was, and is, the best of three new sci-fi shows this year, and after last night's episode, it's one season finale I'm truly looking forward to.

If you had asked me earlier in the season, would we see Rusell and Tom joining forces by the end of the season, I would have never called it. But they are, and after they send Larkin, Mariel, and the kids out of town, the two of them venture back into the storm to take on Szura and his minions. This is too good.

We left Szura last week after he and his group of mindless hybrids had come to the mainland. A storm was approaching and it seemed like whatever their plan was, it would happen once the rain started to fall. Tom knows he needs to stop Szura because the two of them are no longer on the same page. He enlists Russell's help, but it still isn't clear what their plan to stop Szura is. Which is fine, because it's still not clear what Szura's plan is either.

Both of them encounter obstacles at every stop along the way. Underlay's deputies are turning against him, and one of them has even been watching (spying, taking pictures) of Jesse, Rose, and Kira. Russell is still out of a job but he finds out that one his old colleagues (Vargas) is getting paid off by Szura to keep a certain access road to Black Point Sound sealed off. The odd thing about that is Vargas isn't a hybrid... who can't Szura convince? Everyone has a price.

Another odd development was Dave. He went to get Rose from school and he ended up having quite the conversation with her teacher. Ms. Wade apparently has stage-four lymphoma and won't be around much longer. If that's true, then she's definitely not a hybrid because we already know they don't want the sick folks. Either that or she's very cleverly manipulating Dave, but I don't think that's the case.

In the creepiest/weirdest/scariest/most bizarre moment in Invasion thus far, Russell confronts Vargas and his former co-worker shows him what he's helping to hide. About ten feet into the water, all the hybrids that came with Szura are standing underneath the surface, eyes open, waiting for the rain. It was disturbing and I can't wait to see what's gonna happen once they start walking out of the water. For the first time in a while, I actually stopped myself before the preview for next week came on. I never do that, but I'm glad I did. Here comes the storm.

humpo

Hey,did anyone know what happened to the alien that was nearly dave? i must have missed an episode. The last time i saw him was in that out-building and they were all looking at him with the torch, i think it tried to comunicate somehow. what happened to it??

May 17 2006 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johanne

I have watched "Invasion" since the very beginning. I have loved the show since the start. I did not find the beginning episodes slow-moving. I found them ominous and suspenseful because I never knew what was going to happen and usually something surprising did happen. When Mariel drowned and then became a hybrid, which was very early in the season, if I remember correctly,it made me nervous in every episode because I knew anything was possible.This is the only show that keeps me nervous for the entire hour of every episode. It's such a good tension too. I agree with another blogger who said how important it was that the show allowed us to get to know the characters and the community so that you really care what happens to them. The cast is terrific. In my opinion, it is as good a cast as the award-winning CSI Las Vegas ensemble cast. I did not get involved in "Lost". For some reason it did not particularly appeal to me.But I will rearrange my schedule to make sure I don't miss "Invasion". I hope ABC renews it for a second season (and beyond). Saun Cassidy says he has at least four years of material. If they do not renew this wonderful show, I will be very disappointed and have nothing I care to watch on Wednesday evenings.

May 07 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith L.

Been watching since the beginning..its a great show..the characters seem very real, believable and the actors really get into the part...sometimes the story is far fetched but ....it all works out..hopefully they will renew this great show..there is not much on TV that has great writing, acting these days...keep on going INvasion!!!!

May 05 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEFF

UPON WATCHING THE FIRST EPISODE RIGHT AFTER LOST, THE NATURAL FEELING WAS TO COMPARE THE WAY THE SHOW GRABS ME AS LOST HAD.NOW LOST GRABS AND SLIPS AND GRABS AND SLIPS(ALTHOUGH I THINK THE WRITER'S ARE ONLY TRYING TO CONVEY STORYLINE THAT WILL BE IMPORTANT LATER)INVASIONS WRITERS HAVE SUCCEDED IN GIVING US A SHOW THAT GRABS US AND MAKES US WISH WE HAD A TIME MACHINE TO TRAVEL IMMEDIATLY TO THE NEXT EPISODE!1 OF THE TOP 5 SHOWS ON TV.

May 05 2006 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindey

I agree with Carissa. I love this show. I haven't watched Lost in several weeks because I got tired of not getting any answers; just more questions. At least with Invasion, even though there are questions, there aren't so many characters to keep up with. I don't watch much "network" tv but I will manage to watch this show! I hope we get a second season.

May 05 2006 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

First off, I loved the episode, but I was a little disappointed by the end. Right from the very instant the other ranger told Russell that a roadblock was set up, I knew the missing hybrids were up there. So when they built it up and came to the discovery and showed.... that the missing hybrids were just up there, chilling. I would have liked to see something a little more exciting than that, maybe some overlord or a military installation as well or something.. SOMETHING. It would have had a lot more impact if they hadn't already shown us a colony of the creepy bastards hanging out underwater several episodes ago. As it was, it just made me go "oh."

Still, I love the show and I'm proud to be one of the few fans hanging around for it. Congrats, ladies and gents, we have a great cult show.

May 04 2006 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cash6115

I'm not going to explain why, but you were VERY smart for not watching the previews, and make sure you skip any preview that comes on this week. This last episode was the most compelling, exciting, tense, wild episode of any show this season with the exception of the first episode of 24. It was just great entertainment, and I've told several people at work today that they need to see this show when it gets to DVD if only for last nights show.

May 04 2006 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Thank you for agreeing with me about the excellence of this program. It was far better than the other two Sci-Fi type offerings this year, and I will be so let down if it is not renewed. I was watching Lost last night, and then Invasion. As I was watching the latter, it came to me that everyone who refused to watch Invasion because it was so "slow" at the beginning really lost out. Lost is kind of falling off the radar for me because it started out so strong and seems to have lost focus. We haven't even seen the monster or anything like it the entire season, and it was darn important last year. On the other hand, Invasion took time to build it's story, by giving us community and personal backgrounds in addition to great story. The buildup has been well worth it, and with the partnering of Russell and Tom is fantastic. This show gets better every week, and I'm very glad I hung in there for the fun.

May 04 2006 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply