April 23, 2014

NBC to dump West Wing retrospective in favor of show's pilot

by Joel Keller, posted May 5th 2006 7:11PM
West WingThis is interesting: according to this press release, NBC will not be showing a West Wing retrospective before the final episode airs on May 14. Instead, they will rerun the show's 1999 pilot episode. Remember, this was back in those heady days when a) the U.S. still had a Democratic president, b) we were in that odd period after the Cold War and before the War on Terror, so the country wasn't as keen on what was going on politics-wise, and c) Rob Lowe was actually considered the star of The West Wing.

What I remember from that episode is when Lowe's character Sam Seaborn is with a hooker (played by Lisa Edelstein of House!) and his pager goes off. "What's POTUS mean?" she asks. Seaborn juts his jaw and says, semi-proudly, "That's the President of the United States." Ahhhh, memories. What a difference seven years makes, huh?

[via The Futon Critic]

Myron

I look forward to seeing the pilot just for Sheens entrance. That was a great piece of television.

May 08 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lana

I would MUCH rather see the retrospect that the Pilot.
I have that season on DVD.
I'm really sad ! ! !
I think they are making a huge mistake...I want to see pits and pieces of the past and of Leo..
Why can't they shoe the pilot afterwards ???
I'm rally sad.....

May 07 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
panasianbiz

Count me among the viewers that would rather see a retrospective than the pilot again. Or, as someone else pointed out, a few scenes from In the Shadow of Two Gunmen showing how the crew first got together would also be welcome.

May 07 2006 at 6:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TimUF

its not spending the time, i would think they have already cut and pasted the retrospective together, though the pilot does a pretty good job of (re) introducing the characters and showing you where they started, and showing the finale showing you where they've come, i'll be watching bittersweetly either way

May 06 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda B

Sorry about the link not coming through. You can get the info I mentioned here: http://tinyurl.com/kgtmj

May 05 2006 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda B

Those of you that want someplace to direct your anger, you can send your comments to Joe Libonati, NBC Entertainment's Publicity Director of Primetime, here.

May 05 2006 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I would rather see the retrospective too. Are they being too lazy to put it together?

May 05 2006 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K. Stickley

NBC has no class and has no idea what quality TV is all about. I just keep thinking...wouldn't it be great if HBO or Showtime pick this up and continued it. Think of wher it could go without the restrictions the the networks have to work with. I too feel like this has much more to give. I don't want to see it go. Shoot, ER has survived with all of their cast changes, why can't West Wing?

May 05 2006 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

NBC doesn't want to invest the cash for a *clip show* retrospective even to send off an Emmy winning show? That's a fine kick to the curb.

May 05 2006 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pip

I'd rather see the retrospective, since the pilot airs on Bravo somewhat often, but I'll still watch it again. Though, I think a better "bookend" would be the flashback scenes from Shadows of Two Gunmen cut together, so that viewers could see Sam and Josh's first boardroom meeting, and one of my favorite Leo moments--

(on Capital steps)
Josh: The Democrats aren't stupid enough to nominate another Northeast liberal.

Leo: Oh, I think we're exactly that stupid.

May 05 2006 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply