October 25, 2014

Smallville: Oracle

by Lacy Hall, posted May 5th 2006 10:33AM

smallville(S05E21) Whew. I don't know how I feel about last night's episode. Basically, it confused the crap out of me, but I think that was the point. It was all just a tease for the finale, which is next Thursday.

Still, there was a lot of stuff that the writers could have tidied up a bit. Namely, the Kryptonian Alphabet.How come Clark can't read Kryptonian letters? Didn't he learn Kryptonian back in like Season 2? Here is Lionel handing him a treasure map of Kryptonian goodness and Clark just shrugs and goes, "What does it say? I don't know." That was just dumb.

The only reason I can think that they did that was so Chloe would have something to do, i.e. crack the Kryptonian alphabet. And I was absolutely amazed that she was able to do it by simply scanning a page of Lionel's notebook. Chloe, Trans-Galaxy Code Breaker? Wow! She should really reconsider her internship at The Daily Planet and maybe start working for the CIA or something. Or the writers should just have mercy on Chloe, and kill her off if they aren't going to use her for something actually meaningful on the show.

But let's talk about my favorite little bundle of bald evil -- Lex. Whether he realizes it or not, he now knows that Clark has a Krypton-weakness (thanks Lana). If poor Lex doesn't end up having his memory erased for the millionth time, then this could really make things interesting in the upcoming seasons. I'm glad that Lex and Lana have built their relationship on honesty, but I thought that it was pretty lame for Lex to just completely divulge everything about the super vaccine to Lana. I don't think that Lex would've ever done that. Even when Lex is being good, he's not that good. He always covers his bases by lying at least a little bit.

I must say that I was surprised by Lana divulging all her relationship woes to Lois. And what was up with the, "He's NOT my boyfriend!" yelp. He's not your boyfriend? Ummm, I think he is. She sounded like a fourth-grader. I guess Lana has to girl-talk to somebody and the only other girl on the show is Chloe and she's so far up Clark's butt, it would be impossible to really talk to her.

Does anybody else think that it was weird that Clark just left poor Lex on the ground after he got juiced with Brainiac's cocktail? True, Clark saw that Lex was waking up, but it seemed very un-hero of him to just leave the poor guy amongst the exploding lab equipment. I think that was a mistake on the director's part. I think they could have written that or edited it a little better. So, what do you think Lex is going to do next week with his new Terminator 2/Wolverine healing powers? Is he going to be a vessel for General Zod, or get into a showdown with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

By the way, I absolutely love it when Jonathan Kent and Clark fight! They really should have given Jonathan more ass-kicking scenes when he was still alive. Finally, this is a random thought, but it really bugged me when Lex showed up at the end with that bag of Chinese take-out. Would Lex really buy your run of the mill Chinese take-out? See, it's little things like that that really annoy me with the writers. Lex is supposed to be this eccentric power-hungry gazillionaire, and he's bringing home General Tao's Chicken? I don't think so.

Dennis

Katharine McPhee should guest star on Smallville as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and Charisma Carpenter should play Wonder Woman/Diana Prince in the up coming feature film. All these gals need are blue eye contacts.

June 07 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Katharine McPhee should guest star on Smallville as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and Charisma Carpenter should be Wonder Woman/Diana Prince in the feature film being made. All these gals need are blue eye contacts.
Very mad that Pepper Dennis is not going to be on the new CW!!!!

June 07 2006 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fredie

he was hiding it from lionel

June 01 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawster

Even with its problems... can someone tell me why the writers can't produce this level of interesting entertainment every week?

There were so many badly written episodes before this I can’t tell if it was a great episode, or I was starved for content.

May 11 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

Chloe scanned the jibberish Kryptonian letters into the computer just to see if there were any repeating patterns. Zod is Coming was repeated 32 times, and was the most significant pattern.

And yeah, thanks Lana for telling Lex that Clark was concerned about his safety instead of he broke into my room and went through my stuff. Ummm.... didnt Lex do the same thing to Lana back in Hidden. The girl has a short memory.

May 07 2006 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manfred

Yah Chloe's codebreaking skills are better than any CIA operative's ones. It's nice that Clark has pseudo sidekick and has some skills to actually help Clark instead of being useless or scream Superman everytime trouble is near but Chloe actually being able crack a code which most mathmeticians (S2 the professor they got in) cant even scratch the surface is too much.

I still love the show though, I am a big fan and I am looking forward to seeing the final ep of S5 next week!! :D

-manfred

May 06 2006 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

BTW Lex is, according to the comics and Justic League Unlimited, now injected with Brainiac; to form Brainthor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainiac_%28comics%29#Justice_League_Unlimited_-.22Brainthor.22
although, it could be alot lamer than that, and Lex is now just "magic"

May 05 2006 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Larson

I too am having trouble with "supergirl" Chloe! I mean I like her character better than Lana now, but the writers keep letting her solve so many problems it seems that Clark is her sidekick not the other way around! (Seeing Clark, Chloe and Lionel working together gave me the image of a Scooby-team! Add in Lois, with Martha Kent as the den mother and Lex the perpetual villain, and I could see a total revamping of the series. Short-lived, but fun for a while!)
As for Clark not being able to "read" the kryptonian message, I think it was suppose to be in coded form so it would have probably appeared to him as gibberish until deciphered. It would be as if I wrote this comment exchanging the letters so that only someone with the correct codebreaker could read it (the amazing Chloe of course could decipher it by simply scanning it into a computer, so much for the "advanced" Kryptonian civilization). After it was decoded Clark was easily able read "Zod is coming!" at the end of the episode.

May 05 2006 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

While I agree with Heather that it wasn't that Clark forgot how to read Kryptonian, it was just that the message was jumbled up and diluted so much that Clark couldn't make sense of it.

The one thing that I did find funny though was at the end when they showed the symbols that Chloe filtered out and asked Clark what it meant,.. LOOK AT IT! Hell I could read that,.. it said ZOD in big black (Cryptonian looking) letters.

Oh and you know that they're going to kill off Lana eventually. I'm sure it will happen by "accident" when Lex & Clark are fighting. That will just be the final breaking point that will make Clark & Lex arch enemies.

May 05 2006 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Darnell

I'm sick of Lana and her constantly having to have a man in her life, I can buy into her being madly inlove with Lex already cause she loves anyone who gives her attention! ( please Kill her off now, not even her cuteness can save her)I hated how she told Lex that Clark went through her things, she makes it sound like Clark's the bad guy! I'm also sick of Chloe, I wish they would send her away and bring Pete back! I enjoyed Jonathan's scenes too, I didn't get confused with the show, I think as you mentioned it was a teaser for next week. I wondered about Clark and the kryptonian writing too... My favorite part was Lois talking to Clark. Who knows maybe Lois had that "girl talk" with Lana to see if she had indeed got over him for personal reasons?

May 05 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply