October 31, 2014

The O.C.: The Man of the Year

by Lacy Hall, posted May 5th 2006 3:48PM

adambrody(S03E24) Prom is over and enter the aftermath. But surprise, surprise...Volchok? Not dead. Thank God. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care if the guy lives or dies, but it would have just been bizarro times infinity if another one of Marissa's love interests ended up in the morgue. She does seem to like them on the brink of death.

But nope, Ryan rushes (not really, more like leisurely drives) Volchok to the hospital during a trippy, light-filled montage, and Volchok awakes without even seeing a doctor. Volchok (ever the good guy) doesn't sell Ryan out and claims he was jumped by a group of thugs. But it turns out that Volchok is not "ever the good guy."

He just wants Ryan to help him steal a car, and threatens to turn him in if he doesn't comply. I thought the car stealing scene was awesome because it was a direct throwback to the first scene of the pilot when Ryan's brother steals that car -- Volchok smashes the window, hot wires the car, calls Ryan a "bitch" and tells him to jump in. But unlike the first scene, Ryan doesn't jump in. Instead, he takes off on foot and flees (like a little Newport bitch boy, but whatever. You can't blame the kid for not wanting to go to jail again.) Ryan hooks up with Marissa and convinces her to be his alibi for the night.

Speaking of Marissa, how creepy was that whole lacrosse/stripper thing at Kaitlin's prep school? Did the writers mean to allude to the Duke stripper rape scandal, or was that just happenstance? It sort of creeped me out if it was planned. I don't think a possible gang rape is anything to make light of on a teen soap opera. And calling the lacrosse groupies, lacrosstitues? I'm gonna just assume that this episode was shot before the Duke scandal, and leave it at that. But I did think it was funny that they used The Valley to mock their own ratings slump. "That's what happens when you beat down the same love triangle for three years." The O.C. is never afraid to make fun of themselves.

As far as Sandy and Kirsten are concerned, I'm glad that they are starting to get better story lines. But, I really wish that Kirsten would stop being such a puny weakling. Remember how she use to be so strong? I suppose I should cut her some slack. Her dad did die in a surprise plot twist just a season ago. That must take some time to get over. I know it always takes me a little while to get over the plot twists in my life, especially during Sweeps.

So all lies are now out in the open -- Kirsten has relapsed, Seth didn't get into Brown, and Sandy is a corporate jerkface. But it looks as if honesty is the best medicine for the Cohens, and they might get back on track soon. Too bad stupid Seth had to go and burn down The Newport Group with one of his marijuana cigarettes. Bad Seth! I'm sure Sandy can get him off. As far as I know, this is the first arrest for Seth.

The show is off next week, but returns the following week for the season finale. The previews tease that one of the main characters might or might not die. Ummmmm, I'm not completely convinced. But if it's going to be anyone, it's going to be Marissa. According to rumors, Mischa Barton has been looking to leave The O.C. for a while. I guess she wants to quit her part-time TV teen drama job, so she can focus on her real life drama full-time.

scott

I was guessing that someone saw Seth leave.As for Seth and Summer,maybe they can call the spin off "Providence".No,wait..."Rhode Island Reds".Or..."The R.I."!

May 11 2006 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
northtown

Mischa barton has already signed on for the 4th season.

But i have read a lot of spoilers saying Sandy is going to have a heart attack...

ps. The producers always put out fake spoilers and let-ons for the season finale. (They said Oliver was coming back last year.)

May 06 2006 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I am just glad the show is finally getting better again! I agree with johnnypark, how did they determine it was Seth that burned down the Newport group? Some things are far fetched!

May 05 2006 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jared

All in all it was a good episode last night, I just want to know if Volchok outran the rent-a-cop in Suburbia. Really, a Mercedes vs. a Crown Vic... hmm...

May 05 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnnypark

Cali uniform cops must be the smartest around, they determined Seth was the last person at the Newport Group just by asking a random person at that party, heh. Seth was arrested when he stole Caleb's car too wasnt he?

Bad father, fire, corruption, drinking, drugs, fights, etc. We've already seen everything that was brought on this season.
I don't like her, but I can see why she'd want to leave the show since it blows. They had a few good eps this season, maybe 3-4 out of 24. I dunno what's gonna happen in the finale and I can't really imagine anything since there's no stories to wrap up other than how they're gonna have all the kids decide not to go to college so they can still call the show the OC instead of "the New England/Bay Area". At least though, they make fun of themselves.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Marissa will leave the show, but I doubt she will die. They might make her take a tour of Europe or something just in case she wants to come back, unless they think the next one will be the final season.
Seth's case won't go away so he can't leave for Rhode Island and Summer will obviously stay with him and maybe go to USC or UCLA.
Ryan will probably stay too because of the blonde kid with bright eyes who supposedly isnt his son but apparently came out of two people with dark hair/skin/eyes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the guy to die was Volchok since so far Marissa has a negative record with all her men but Ryan. Johnny is dead, Luke was driven away, psycho from first season is at the nuthouse, Trey is on the lam.. am I missing anyone?

May 05 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

"Too bad stupid Seth had to go and burn down The Newport Group with one of his marijuana cigarettes." The only other time I've ever heard a joint called a marijuana cigarette was in a vintage PSA in health class. Nice.

May 05 2006 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paige

I read somewhere that Marissa is not coming back as a main character next season but that she's not the "near death." Supposedly Sandy has a heart attack. Any truth to that?

May 05 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply