September 20, 2014

Count your remotes

by Adam Finley, posted May 6th 2006 9:22AM

remotesI'd like to think I'm not terribly old, but I do actually remember a time when televisions didn't have remote controls. In fact, my siblings and I were my father's remote control. The advent of the "clicker" changed the way we watch TV, and ultimately, the way television shows and commercials are made and produced. Back in the day, you would pick a channel and more or less stay with that channel for the evening. Now, you can zap through the channels, defying each one to engage you within three seconds or risk being left in the dust. Borrowing (stealing) an idea from Lost Remote, I thought I'd ask TV Squad readers just how many remotes they have in their home. I'll stretch it to include any kind of remote, not just television ones. I myself rock three remotes: one for my crappy little stereo, one for my Tivo (that also changes the channels on my TV), and another one to turn my TV on and control the volume. Why can't the Tivo remote also turn my TV on and control the volume? Well, it's because instead of buying a name brand TV that's compatible with universal remotes, I instead chose to purchase some no-name brand which I believe was put together by Eskimos using discarded pieces from a Zenith set circa 1968. I'm not always as discerning a consumer as I should be.

Jason Anderson

TV
DVD Recorder
PS2 DVD
Xbox DVD
TiVo
Old RCA Universial
Surround System
VCR

I'd trade it all for a Logitech Harmony remote with the Play/Pause button and general layout catering to the TiVo remote users.

May 17 2006 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christina Warren

Well, like some of the other posters, I've had a Harmony Remote (659) for two years, and it rules (hell of a lot better than the $200 Sony remote I bought first, only to watch it break after two months...returned it for the Harmony)...but if I don't count that:

HDTV remote
Tivo remote (living room)
Denon receiver remote
Comcast box remote (living room)
DVD player remote (living room)
bedroom TV remote
Comcast box remote (bedroom)
Tivo remote (bedroom)
DVD player remote (bedroom)
X-Box remote
iPod speaker remote

May 08 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily

1 tivo
1 tv (which i basically never use)
1 vcr
1 mini dvd player
1 old stereo
...and since there are about 5 tv's in the house and that's just my room, i've got to have close to 20.

May 06 2006 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc James

Eh ... one. Logitech Harmony 880.

May 06 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

C'mon, peeps, haven't you ever heard of universal? I have one remote to rule them all - Harmony 880. I'm pretty much an a/v geek, so sorting through the half dozen remotes I'd need wouldn't be a problem, but it's convenience sake for me. Plus, anyone else can use my setup too without staring blankly.

It's well worth the dough, even for the "lower end" models. The macros and everything are so ridiculously easy to set up. I hate to sound like I'm shamelelssly plugging it, but it's freakin' sweet.

May 06 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

used to have 6 or 7, but now it's just one remote - Logitech Harmony. it's easy to use, it's smart, it knows 'modes' (watch tv, watch a movie, listen to music, play games etc). it's also cheap. i own a 655, and it's the best. don't go for models with flat buttons - that's inconvinient.

www.harmonyremote.com

May 06 2006 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Remotes for....
6 TVs
3 DVDs
1 VDV/VCR
1 VCR
1 surround sound
3 stereo systems
1 PC TV card
1 TiVo
2 Universal remotes that we think operate the DirecTV box, but we're not sure so we haven't thrown them away for four years

Point of order - do remotes for garage door openers or cieling fans count?

May 06 2006 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I too remember my dad calling me into the living room from my bedroom so I could change the channel for him. He use to tell his neighbor he had the only remote control that also got the newspaper too.

The last time we moved I made a remote control box so we would know where they were when we unpacked. It was a huge help this time around. I know there was over a dozen or so in there if not more. The sad thing is we had DirecTV at the old house but can't get a signal here so we have our Tivo, HD Box and Dish Boxes in the basement and we now have a crappy small town cable... no Bravo and a few of the sports channels my husband loved so much... not to mention the HD channels. My husband said the next time we move he is going to get a DirecTV person to check the house out before we put an offer on it. :)

May 06 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Knox

2 TV's + the toshiba came with 2 remotes = 4
2 cable box remotes = 2
2 Windows media player remotes = 2
1 DVD, and a toshiba computer = 2

Grand total of 10

May 06 2006 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

9 in this house.

3 TV's, 2 Sattelite Boxes, 2 Surround Sound Systems, 3 DVD Players & a Stereo.

May 06 2006 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply