July 28, 2014

Doctor Who's Eccleston regenerates as The Prisoner's Number 6

by Richard Keller, posted May 7th 2006 11:49AM

The Prisoner, returning to TVOur fellow blogger and The Prisoner fan Michael Sciannamea will be happy to hear this!

The British satellite channel Sky One is giving a green light for a remake of the cult-classic The Prisoner, which aired on ITV from 1967 until early 1968. The new series would run for six episodes to be aired next year, which would be the 40th anniversary of the series.

There are unconfirmed reports that Number 6, the main character that was played by Patrick McGoohan, will be played by Christopher Eccleston. Eccleston is currently portraying The Doctor in the new series of Doctor Who episodes being broadcast in America on the Sci-Fi Channel. Eccleston lasted only one season on the show and was replaced by David Tennant in the series currently running on the BBC.

The remake of The Prisoner will stick to the original concept of the series: a government agent is drugged and sent to a prison called The Village after he resigns from service. While in prison people are referred to by their numbers rather than their names. This version of the series will probably have a modern shine to it. Perhaps it will take place in one of those secret CIA prisons we aren't supposed to know about.

Valia

what great news! finally, I won't have to keep retelling (and inviting people over to watch the DVDs)...though I'll probably have Prisoner viewing parties anyways....Yayayayayay! (Can you tell I'm happy to hear the news?) I definitely cross my fingers that an appropriate, accurate and entertaining remake (yep remake or remodel) be put together.

Be seeing you,

V

July 08 2006 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Kid

Oh the irony of Rupert "I own more media than any one man ought to be allowed to" Murdoch's Sky remaking the Prisoner.

Don't expect much in the way of anti-globalisation in there (which I am sure Pat McG would write in if consulted).

I rather liked the idea of the graphic novel being made (where a lost round-the-world-solo yachtswoman stumbled upon the village and where Pat McG was now number 2!).

May 18 2006 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

If we have to have a remake of the most brilliant series ever produced on television let then do it properly and keep to the original spirit of the series or don't bother. Like the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, the films were in my view disappointing (despite the excellent special effects) as they did not keep to the original books as much as they should.

The only thing which dates "The Prisoner" is the technology, for example "The General" would probably be a desktop PC today, and we dont have rocker switches, banks of lights and oscilloscopes on computers but never mind eh??

I am extremeley wary of any "remakes" of anything as unwanted variations creep in. While I am delighted that "The Prisoner" is being talked about I doubt if they could remake it to my satisfaction. Things these days tend to be "dumbed down" to appeal to a wider audience and rake in more money.

Still we'll see.

May 14 2006 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

Let us not forget the great Prisoner-esque show from UPN's early days....*Nowhere Man*...

May 10 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

They'd better have William Shatner as one of the Number 2s, he'll be perfect!

It's such a pity that Hervé Villechaize is dead.

May 09 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Devers

I am not a number!

May 08 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I have to agree with no. 3 on this. There's no reason to remake something that's already brilliant. If you want to celebrate the anniversary of the show, I'm all for it, just air all the original episodes and hype it up so that more people will (hopefully) finally see what they've missed out on. I suppose it's intended to be flattering, showing that the concept still holds up 40 years later, but that doesn't mean it should be done.

May 08 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

Karen, if any actor can match McGoohan's "crazed intensity" it is Christopher Eccleston. If you haven't been watching *Doctor Who* on the SciFi Channel (Friday at 9pm and repeated), you can catch up when the DVD box set hits the market "officially" after the 4th of July (you can buy it from Amazon's Canadian website now). It will be on a long wait list through NetFlix though if you decide to rent.

I'd highly recommend that you tune into the show and pick up the DVDs. At the very least, you will learn why Eccleston is the perfect choice for the remake, and at best, you'd become a new fan of Britain's hottest show.

IMHO, Eccleston is the man that should be chosen to portray THE JOKER in the upcoming sequel to last year's *Batman Begins*.

May 08 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

What horrible news. Some things should just be left alone in their classic, brilliant uniqueness. I would definitely include "The Prisoner" in such a group.

And there's simply no way that anyone could (or even should) the insane chaos of the final episode.

Why don't they just re-run the original? Why do they have to ruin it with remakes? Does anyone have the crazed intensity of Patrick McGoohan, anyway?

May 07 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I've looked over the list of the original episodes and now I'm thinking 'Schizoid Man' should have been included in my selection. Probably at the expense of 'Hammer Into Anvil', to make the basic series more focused on Number Six.

May 07 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply