October 1, 2014

Gilmore Girls: Partings (finale)

by Joel Keller, posted May 9th 2006 10:42PM
Gilmore Girls - Partings(S06E22) After all the criticism that's been heaped on the Palladinos lately, from their departure from Gilmore Girls to the depressing storylines they've written this season, it's time for me to give them some praise. First of all, despite everything, I'm going to miss them; Amy Sherman-Palladino's voice is unique in the TV universe and GG is not going to be the same without her or her husband Daniel. So I want to thank them for giving me and a loyal fan base an entertaining, funny, and charming show for six years.

As far this episode, one that essentially explodes the world of GG as we know it, is concerned, I will give AS-P praise for this: Lorelai's look.

I mean, we all knew what was going to happen. Between the spoiler/interview from Mike Ausiello and the far-too-revealing WB promos, the basic structure of the episode was well-known to anyone who had eyes and/or ears. Logan reluctantly leaves Rory to go to England, who lets him go. And, most importantly, Lorelai gives Luke an ultimatum: Elope or I'm gone. Lunkheaded Luke says it's not time, Lor leaves, and takes solace with good ol' Christopher. And, as most people know, the episode -- and, it turns out the reign of Team Palladino -- ends with Lorelai waking up naked in Christopher's bed.

But Lorelai had that look.

The look that said "What the hell did I just do?" The look that said "I just threw away the best relationship I've ever had to sleep with the guy who has given me nothing but trouble." The look that might just redeem the next, and possibly final, season of Gilmore Girls.

As much as I've been complaining this season about GG not having as much of the quirky cutsey scenes of Stars Hollow-ness that we're used to seeing, this episode is the one that I think really shouldn't have had any cutsey town stuff at all. Don't get me wrong; Troubador Invasion '06 was funny and creative. I especially liked the fact that not only did we have Grant Lee Phillips as the original singer that got a chance to tour with Neil Young ("He was in the Monkees," Kirk tells Taylor) then come back after he got booed off the stage, but we also got Yo La Tengo, Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (along with their daughter Coco), and 24's Mary Lynn Rajskub. And the songs they were all singing were very funny. It just didn't fit in with the overall tone of the episode, which of course, we all knew wasn't going to be a happy one.

Neither did the scenes where Lorelai sits and watches while her parents clumsily try to set Christopher up with a psychologist (played by Melora Hardin, who plays Jan on The Office). In this case, it's weird that Lor is distraught over what she thinks is the ending of her relationship, but she can still be jokey and torture her parents and act loopy to help Christopher out. Again, it showed Lor turning the off emotions that have seemed to overcome her -- the brillant opening showing Lor's look as Sookie and Jackson try to leave without waking her up shows this -- in order to be Wacky Lorelai again. While I know that this is one of Lorelai's specialties, for some reason it just doesn't seem to work for me here.

But it does show how in tune Lor and Chris have always been with each other, as the bathroom scene where they cook up their plan to get him out of the date demonstrated. Also, it set up nicely Lor's automobile session with Chris' "date", where she is told that she should just ask for what she wants (duh) and if it doesn't work out, maybe it wasn't meant to be. It was good to see Lor let loose and just go over why she loved Luke so much and why she asked him to marry her. It was also good to see why she's so ready to get married and can't wait for Luke anymore. Huh. Makes you wonder why Lorelai didn't get therapy sooner.

The confrontation with Luke was great in that Lor finally says what she should have been saying since April came to town, telling Luke how quiet she had to be and how much she hated it. It was raw and emotional, which is something she hadn't been with Luke for months, if ever. But Luke, a person who's cared so much for Lor over the years (she tells the therapist as much in the car) just stands there and blinks, saying "give me time to think," not realizing he was about to lose the love of his life. Luke was not supposed to be this clueless, and I don't understand why AS-P wrote him this way all year. But I guess that was a good way to send Lor back to Chris, even if it is inconsistent with how the previous five-and-a-half years of the show transpired.

The Rory/Logan plot had its moments: I liked Rory's elevator confrontation with Mitchum, where she finally finds out that Logan's being sent away for his own good, to get away from the Life and Death Brigade idiots. The Brit-themed party she threw for Logan was cool, especially her bad accent. And, in some of the best acting I've ever seen Alexis Bledel do, her crying as Logan leaves for the airport the next morning showed that Rory knew she had to let him go, even if she didn't want him to leave.

But what I'll take away from this season is that look. Lorelai knew she made a mistake. And the Palladinos have left the world of GG in tatters. I'm really, really hoping that Dave Rosenthal is able to pick up the pieces next year.

Katrine

What is Rory supposed to be for the brit-themed party?

May 13 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabeth

I agree with just about everyones comments. GG was such an awesome show before this season, and when luke and lorelei got together at first i was so happy with eveything and especialy when lorelei asked luke to marry her, i thought they were going to grow old together and have kids and rory would come back and things would be just like they were a couple seasons back. But this episode ruined that. Lorelei did what she does best-run away from her feelings and screw it all up to go sleep with chistopher. My opinion, i think lorelei will get back together to luke eventualy, but ethier chistopher or another source withh tell luke what happened between lorelei and chistopher, then luke will get very angry and do what he does best-act stubborned and pig-headed and end it between lorelei, only later to get back with her and everything will be just like when emily tried to get lorelei and chis back together and it ruined things between L&L, but later emily tells it how it is to luke when she had her little visit, and luke went to lorelei's house and they both kissed and got back together. This is all a theory, but who knows what will happen now with different writers of the show, but everyone thinks that this is a bad thing, when really could turn into a whole new point of view for GG. It will be like the restart of the first episode, which hopefully now lorelei will not go back to chistopher ever again, and will have luke in her heart forever. This show was a very addicting and exciting one, but probably will become more addicting and more exciting.

July 13 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie

Well at the end of Partings, Lorelai is found apparently naked under bed covers. Chris's bed covers to be exact. You can hear him yeling at the nanny about Gigi's pink coat while Lorelai lies in bed with a complete horror struck face. Chris returns and places his arm around Lorelai and then it fades into black. Hate it but there it is. Hope that helped!

June 15 2006 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephanie washington

Hellooooo, it's time to end the Gilmore Girls. There's no where else to go. Everyone, knows that as soon as Luke and Lorelai get together the show is done. Logan's gone and Jess pretty much got the stick this past session. Lane's married, no more best friend drama. Lorelai has been reduced to a pure wennie..(what happened to that quick witted, fast talking, coffee swillin, sarcastic girl we all learned to love)is she suppose to love Luke so, much???? That's really her character (lose last seasons)Bravo....One great move...letting Logan go to England and Rory not kicking and screaming upon his departure. I have been a loyal fan threw these many years and this being the only show I've watched, shunning the idiols, models, survivors, CSI's etc. Let the Girls go out with a blaze of glory!!!!!! Not shrivel and die, worst get cancelled. Oh...that look at the end, what have I done?? Just don't knock her up by Chris again!!!!!!!!!

June 07 2006 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Gilmore Girls has been one of the very few shows worth watching in quite some time. I watch it in one state, while my daughter and her college friends watch in another. (My husband & sons won't admit they like it, but I catch them watching occasionally).It's been fun to watch the DVD's of old seasons when my daughter is home and laugh over the banter and the quirky characters. It's good to have a show that generations can appreciate. My daughter and I both agree that in the end, if the writers-to-be have any skill, Lorelai and Luke will come together, once and for all. Since the first season, we've watched their friendship and banter, and in all their dancing around the issue, they finally became a couple. Luke definitely blew it this season, but my daughter sees it as a way of holding all of us off another season or two (?), because when Lorelai and Rory finally get their hearts' desires and find lifelong love with the guys they are meant to be with, the show will be done. Even though we're not wanting it to end, it will hopefully be a satisfying end for all of us as fans, and we'll all have to find a new show to love. Hopefully, Lauren Graham & Alexis Bledel will continue on in their careers, although it will never be the same without Lorelai & Rory. Here's hoping for the next season to be amazing.

June 06 2006 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hailey

just a thought but what if Logan didn't really leave for London. What if he just couldnt do it and the next season will open with Rory crawling back in bed and Logan coming back because he couldnt leave her. Just a thought, i can dream if i want to, right?

June 01 2006 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TaraFromJersey

Ok so i have loved this show since it came on the air, I love Lauren Graham, she has lost her spark that is Loralei. I understand how she ran back to Christopher. Even tho he has hurt her in the past, she can always count on him when she needs him, Remember earlier in the season when his father died and she went over there with some Whiskey or Tequila or whatever? I'm surprised that didn't end with a Romp. Rory was very good in this last episode, I don't know if I like Logan that much, but she had to let him go even tho it broke her heart. I'm sure she will to go to London to see him. As far as the Luke.Loralei thing, she has hada weird feeling going back to the Valentine's Day episode when they all went to Logan's house in Martha's vineyard, right when she said, it won't happen for us. This repeat episode was just on last night 5/30/06. But again. she ran to Christopher. and her Mother would be over the moon if that worked out right? She has been plotting this for years. I hope next season is good. This season was a bit flat, esp where Loralei is concerned she just sat there and didn't speak her mind. That is who she is.. I hope the new writers will give us back the Old Loralei for old times sake!

May 31 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

Excellent write-up of the season finale. You hit the nail on the head. And like you i hope Dave Rosenthal knows the characters well enough to finish out the series. In a perfect world, everything with Luke and Lorelai will work itself out but if i learned anything from the season finale its that anything can happen to these characters.

May 29 2006 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

I haven't seen the last episodes because I'm from Romania, but I have read all about it and I really can't believe that this is happening...why did it had to end up so tragical? Can't just Rory and Logan get marry and be happy...I mean, I love Gilmore Girls and I'm afraid that this finale is an excuse for Rory and Logan to breake up and if this thing happens in the next season(and it better be another season and not some open show) it will be the most stupid thing I have ever seen in my hole life....Logan and Rory are met to be together...so, whoever the next director is , I hope he will not make any stupid things...

May 26 2006 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

I do not blame Lorelai for running to Christopher. Luke has acted like an idiot all season. I can understand him being clueless about having a daughter. He should have wanted Lorelai and April to get to know each other. Instead, he did his best to keep them apart. They all should have worked to become a family. Christopher took Lorelai home from the wedding a few episodes before. He did not take advantage of her. I think he has cared for her always and is starting to grow up. Lorelai was hurt and went to Chris for comfort. Luke pushed her away over and over this season. Lorelai should have stood up for herself earlier in the season. I always liked Luke and Lorelai together, but after this season, I think she is better off with Chris.

May 24 2006 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply