American Idol: Elliott & Elvis are BFF

by Lacy Hall, posted May 10th 2006 7:37AM

ai logoIt's always been a dream of mine to take a road trip to Tennessee to visit Graceland and Dollywood -- a white trash pilgrimage of sorts. I don't foresee that happening any time soon, so I'll make do with American Idol's homage to Elvis, and keep my fingers crossed for Dolly's night next season.

Everything about tonight was backwards -- the favorites sorta sucked, and Elliott finally found his moment to shine. My crappy internet connection keeps going out, so enough of the pleasantries...let's do this!

Elliott Yamin- Holy crap! Finally! Don't get me wrong, I've always hated Elliott and I still sorta do. But he really found the perfect moment to hit one out of the park. Every week, I wait for this kid to get eliminated and he keeps on keeping on. But tonight, he went for it. He had to have known that he was the underdog tonight and he threw everything he had into the ring. It was his John Cusack boombox-over-the-head moment and he nailed it.

He picked two Elvis songs that I've never even heard of, and made them both magical. In fact, the second song was absolutely amazing. But I'm thinking it's too little, too late. I can't imagine any McPheever Phans turning against their beloved big-bottom beauty in her hour of need, and switching to Elliott. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Chris Daughtry- Awwwww, Chris, you sucked tonight! Have you ever had a crush on someone and then you caught them picking their nose or like digging a wedgie out of their butt, and you become suddenly aware of their mortality? Yup, that's how I feel about Chris right now. Let me make no bones about it -- I want Chris to win! But, he did so bad tonight that I would feel guilty in defending him, so I'm not. He did suck. The first song, sucked and the second song sucked even more. It was just boring. He didn't start rocking out until the end of the second song and by then my eardrums were in full hibernation. And like Simon, I didn't enjoy his sunglasses at all. It made me realize that I don't like sunglasses on bald men.

Hey, speaking of bald men -- did anybody else catch a fuzzy-headed Michael Rosenbaum (aka Smallville's Lex Luthor) in the audience? I thought he looked pretty good. But, am I mistaken, or was he sitting next to LeVar Burton? I'm pretty sure I'm mistaken, but I'm going to go ahead and pretend that it was LeVar and they were discussing Michael's favorite episode of Reading Rainbow.

Taylor Hicks- He's pretty much safe. The first song was karaoke, but that's no big deal for Taylor. That's the sort of thing that we almost expect from him. His rendition of "In the Ghetto" was absolutely gorgeous. He's most def in the final three.

Katharine McPhee- Whew, not too good. Not good at all. And she knew it. She looked like she was going to cry during the final moments of the show. True, all the songs were written for a male, and this is like the millionth time we've had a male-centric theme night (more reason for Dolly night next year). So Katharine definitely had her work cut out for her. Her voice sounded alright, but she just looked distracted. And forgetting the lyrics during the first song?! That's a huge mistake this late in the game. But Katharine is pretty popular, and I think she's earned immunity from a bad night.

What I Think Is Going to Happen- Elliott is going to get eliminated. Taylor will be third and the finale will come down to Katharine and Chris.

What I Would LOVE to Happen- Elliott gets eliminated and Katharine is third. I would love, love, love for the finale to be between Taylor and Chris. That would be a finale this competition hasn't seen since the great Clay and Ruben face-off, and I would eat up every moment of it.

Random Queer Moment of the Show- Seacrest explaining boxer briefs to Chris by saying, "They're called hybrids. That's what we call them." Who do you think we is?

pattieDenney

I am shocked. Elliot is by far a better performer and has much more going for him than Katherine has. I do not understand why anyone wants to hear or watch her fat butt prance around any longer. I love Elliot and he should have been one of the finalists with Taylor Hicks.

May 17 2006 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pattieDenney

Taylor and Elliot should go to the finals. Katherine should have been gone two weeks ago. I don't know if I would want to watch this show anymore(after twwo years)if the final two aren't Elliot and Taylor.

May 17 2006 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

*It's always been a dream of mine to take a road trip to Tennessee to visit Graceland and Dollywood -- a white trash pilgrimage of sorts.*????

I'm from TN. I guess I'm trash. :-( lol! just messing with ya!

May 16 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MILLIE HULL

ELLIOTT...YOU WILL IN FACT, GO THE DISTANCE..ALTHOUGH THE WAY THE VOTING IS GOING, AT THIS POINT, IT'S ANYONE'S..YOU HAVE COME SO FAR,ELLIOTT THAT YOUR REAL TALENT HAS FINALY COME THROUGHT!!
GOOD LUCK, AND YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE MY VOTE.

MILLIE...LADY LAKE,FLORIDA

May 11 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MILLIE HULL

THIS IS A REAL SHOCKER....AS I SAID PREVIOUS..THE PUBLIC HAS NO EAR FOR TALENT..WE'RE SURE "CHRIS" WILL GO FAR REGARDLESS OF THE BIG UPSET LAST NIGHT..
THE LOOK ON THE JUDGES FACES WERE ENOUGH TO SAY,"WHAT THE HELL?????UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
NEXT YEAR WITH IDOL...IT SHOULD BE THE JUDGES THAT MAKE THE FINAL DECISSION,FOR THEYARE THE ONES THAT HAVE THE "RECORD COMPANYS"AND THEY ARE THE ONES THAT ARE GONNA CUT THE "WINNER" A RECORD..
GO FIGURE..THE SHOW IS STILL THE BEST
MILLIE ..LADY LAKE, FLORIDA

May 11 2006 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sparky

Did I call this one or did I call it? I am so happy Elliot made it through. He really deserves it!

May 11 2006 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I was thinking Id make a big long post out of this, but its pointless. If tonight wasnt proof that the show is fixed, I don't know what is. Just want to say good luck to you Chris Daughtry, Ill be looking for your album whenever you put one out. Im sure youll be signed by someone and its probably all for the better. At least you wont have to be a tool to American Idol. Remember, no one wants to hear Reuben or Fantasia and they won. The show is fixed, just let it roll off your back and to what you were born to do, sing and not be a puppet.

May 10 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lp

rabbit,,,my thoughts exactly.Elliott n Taylor for the showdown.Chris was just voted off. shocker that it wasn't Kath. Miss shallow 'Stepford' singer has no clue on how to connect w the audience.

May 10 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cora Cavett

This competition is not just about who was the better singer any one night. Which singer's CD would you purchase? Which singer's concert would you go to? Who's singing was the most consistent from week to week? I'm for Katharine and Chris with Taylor as third.

May 10 2006 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

Have been a big Eliot fan and I did get through several times in the two hours but not nearly as often as I did the week before which was the first time I ever voted. Eliot should stay but again this is a popularity contest and not a singing contest and as a result, I am afraid Eliot is going but would love it if it were Katherine as she was the weakest this week and she has shown the least improvement over time and in fact, she has gotten weaker rather than stronger as the competition has heated up.

May 10 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply