November 27, 2014

American Inventor: (Not quite) The Finale

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 11th 2006 11:13PM
american inventor(S01E10) For some reason, I thought tonight was going to be the finale, but it turns out we had yet another two hours to take up our time before finding out who the winner is. So why the heck is my TiVo calling this "The Finale?" Oh, I see now -- next week is "The Finale Results Show." At least this time I found the entire second hour entertaining.

This time the four finalists had to create a professional-grade commercial for their product.

Erik Thompson, "The Catch": 1-866-UPICK01
The weakest product of the night. The commercial was weak and the product just can't stand up to the other three, simple as that. And he's really only calling this "the catch" now?

Francisco Patino, "D-Tract 2x2 Bike": 1-866-UPICK02
This commercial was great, though I agree with the judges on what needs to change to make it better. I could see kids getting excited about the product, something I hadn't thought before.

Ed Hall, "Word Ace": 1-866-UPICK03
Best commercial, by far. It really hit home that this could be a fun product, and maybe even changed my mind about the entertainment value for the game.

Janusz Liberkowski, "Anecia Survival Capsule": 1-866-UPICK04
I think everyone really wants this product to be good enough to win, but I'm just not so sure it is. The commercial was just OK, and as the judges said, it really is a prototype-like product right now.

joe

why are they posting the results next week i thought the show was the other nite. Wans't it the finale

May 13 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorna

They are all good inventions and passionate inventors; however, Word Ace aced the commercials. The message was evident for anyone watching without prior explanation. The results from viewer phone calls will be revealed next week.

May 12 2006 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simmsays

I liked the car seat commercial the best. I think it really hit home what the value of the product could be. If he ahd an extra 15 seconds to show how it worked, it would have been great.

Simmsaysa..

May 12 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn Keuer

I feel that "The Catch" will be picked up as an invention to persue by some sports company as will "Word Ace"--picked up by Milton Bradley or some other game company, so...to me, the winner will be either D-Tract 2x2 Bike or Anecia Survival Capsule. Granted, those two commercials weren't as good as Word
Aces, but the product itself should carry more weight than the commercial. My bet is on either the oldest or youngest inventor to get the million. Is Vegas running odds on the four guys???

May 12 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

who won i missed the show last night

May 12 2006 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Goral

The Word Ace commercial just blew away the competition. If I was seeing it for the first time, I'd know exactly what the product was and what it did. It's actually the first time I got enthusiastic about the invention.
Can't say that for the others.
Ed (I think) made a good point about the Anecia car seat thingie--the commercial doesn;t show us how it works or what it's supposed to do. That's a product that needs action to explain it, and it wasn't there.
I still want to see for myself how you get a baby in that thing. I suspect it's not easy.

May 12 2006 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I actually liked the car seat commercial, but in a different way. It didn't go like a traditional "Where can I buy that?" product. It went more like a public service announcement, setting it up like this is the only logical way it should be. If the way he depicted it was actually a real life situation, could anyone really ever go back to a traditional car seat?

Of course, that's ultimately what will either get him the win or not - will people vote for the dream of a product that might be impossible to ever manufacture? Or will they play it safe and go with the word game that their kids can play? The way the commercials went it would almost be embarassing to vote for anything other than the car seat. It's like you're saying "Yeah yeah, saving babies is fine, but that game looked cool, ya know?"

May 12 2006 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply