October 22, 2014

Smallville: Vessel (finale)

by Lacy Hall, posted May 12th 2006 7:27AM

smallville chest(S05E22) Smallville really takes a lot out of you with the season finales. They take the concept of a cliffhanger and just screw you up the butt with it. Yup, I said it. I feel a little bit sodomized after tonight's episode. It's the same thing every season -- the long, drawn-out climax and then ugh...it sorta hurts there at the end.

And, this season's finale was no different.

Yes, Lex did obtain super human strength after he was sucked into General Zod's spaceship, but no, he did not fly. Everybody was pretty super-hyped about the flying speculation (me included), but it did not happen. At least, not in this episode. There is always the season opener to let us down as well. I must say that while I absolutely loved this episode, I wish there was more of a showdown between Lex and Clark while Lex was still (mentally) himself. I felt like their fight scene was way too short before General Zod took over his body. By the way, I felt like it was all very Harry Potter-ish for Zod to need to inhabit a body in order to reign doom on the world. They made a point of saying that Zod's body was destroyed so he could not return, and from what I gather, that was not in the comic books. (Comic book nerds, please drop some knowledge.)

I liked the Chloe/Clark kiss, but I also hated it. It was a pretty shocking/didn't see that one coming moment, but they've smooched before. Plus, I'm so over Chloe at this point. She needs to just explode in a horrible freak disaster or become a lesbian. Also, I found Lana absolutely annoying in this episode. She isn't really good, and she's not really evil. She just seems dumb. Why does she feel the need to discuss relationship woes while the world is coming to an end? Plus, I don't get why Zod (in Lex's body) smooched Lana. If Zod doesn't care about people then shouldn't he have pushed her off the building or something?

Next season could go in 8 million different directions. Having Zod wreak havoc on so many cities at once is very Superman-ish. So, is Clark going to become Superman soon? What does Zod want with Lois and Martha? Why does he have them all jacked up in a plane, and isn't that pretty similar to last season's finale with Lana in that helicopter? Is Lionel (who's housing Jor-El) going to take on Lex (who's housing Zod) in a match to the death? How is Clark going to get out of the Phantom Zone? And, did Lex's penis size increase when he gained super powers?

All things that we must wait months and months to be answered.

Dennis

Would LOVE to see Charisma Carpenter as Wonder Woman in the upcoming feature film and Katharine McPhee as Wonder Woman on Smallville for the Wonder Woman/Diana Prince guest appearance. All they need are blue eye contacts.
PS
Lois Lane rocks! LOVE HER!!!!!

June 28 2006 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Lana is also getting on my nerves, when smallville first hit our screens she was so inocent but now she is walking around all miss high and mighty
Lets just hope that she will change in the new series when it comes out

June 13 2006 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Katharine McPhee should guest star on Smallville as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and Charisma Carpenter should portray Wonder Woman/Diana Prince in up coming feature film. All these gals need are blue eye contacts.
PS
Lois Lane rocks! LOVE HER!!!!!

June 09 2006 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Katharine McPhee should guest star on Smallville as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and Charisma Carpenter should be Wonder Woman/Diana Prince in the feature film being made. All these gals need are blue eye contacts.
Very mad that Pepper Dennis is not going to be on the new CW!!!!

June 07 2006 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MEGAN

In the first episode of the fifth season Clark had seen that ring that ZOd/Lex threw he knew what it did why would he not do anything?????

June 01 2006 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

I think that Charisma Carpenter should be cast as Wonder Woman in the upcoming feature film and that Katharine McPhee should be cast as Wonder Woman on Smallville for the Wonder Woman/Diana Prince guest appearance. All they need are blue eye contacts.

May 30 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

Awful season finale, the show is ruined. I love Smallville not Superman Returns.
Lana is great even with Lex. That's why a lot of comic book fans hate her...she is too good for them!
Lois is too old and annoying...great casting, LOL
The ratings are going down, only the finale got a number over 3.
This is over, even is the geeks bash Lana over and over.

May 30 2006 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carlos

Although it doesn't relate to the latest movie coming out this summer. How superman returns being absence for 5 years and with clark kent stuck in the phantom Zone. I'm a huge fan of the superman mythology. But I didn't get a chance to watch all the shows this season. The ones I do watch when they bring others DC characters in the show like The Flash, Aquaman, Brainaic. I did enjoy the one with girl dress up somewhat like Batish outfit.

I hope they skip like a few years ahead when Clark/Superman comes back when other DC super heroes/villians have emerged. oh well if they don't do something fast or intersting this season I'll lose interst real quick.

May 23 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I told care want people say(my opinion) I am going to watch Smallville till the end its one of my favorite shows. When u think about its one of the best superman based shows because it starts from his( Clark Kent) time reaching earth - now (basicly his time growing up)
. Its a detailed show unlike the other superman shows that just jump to the superman part without explaining how he came to be.

May 21 2006 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Dayton

I only became a Samllville fan last summer- watching the first 4 seasons in 2 months- and then waiting an entire 2 weeks before the season premiere- now to actually have to wait an entire summer for a conclusion to one of their excuciatingly painful cliffhangers will be tough. All that said- I thought it was a great finale- BUT!!! I wholeheartedly agree with everyoen in their annoyance of Lana. He character used to be so strong willed and somewhat intelligent- the girl who quit the cheerleading squad because it was so clickish and beneath her- now she is just a blathering idiot who doesnt remember Lex threatening her in last year's season finale as she kept the stone from him. The writers seems to find a way to give us cliffhangers that would seem to bring heavy consequences- and then find a way to mend things up to have an entire other season of expectations. After last season- it seems destined for Clark to become Superman and him and Lex to be each other's extreme nemesis at last. And yet- they didn't- they extended the storyline an entire seaosn- and in the process- just keep diluting the characters. And the whole deal with Lois pushing Martha to not dissmiss a potential relationship with Lionel Luther because of what "Clark would think". Youve got to be kidding me- the the f%&^ was that??? It's only been a few months- and we've got another character who I find extremely annoying in Lois Lane- encouraging another abrupt relationship of a Kent to the enemy. It's almost worse than Melrose place in that sense. And whoever said it- I agree- Chloe's character - while always annoying with her seemingly endless hacker knowledge- has become one character who in herself- doesnt annoy me with either her weakness or stupidity- but as someone pointed out- that's basically because she is a tool to keep the story moving. Im ready for Clark to don the cape and become the man of steel- if he doesnt soon- I dont know if I can bare another seaosn of being strung out waiting for the big payoff.

In addition- Once the new movie comes out- I wonder if the build up will be as great. The movie could either give Smallville a whole new fan base (but those fans would NOT like tom welling as Superman, and theerfore might not stick around long)- or it could hurt the fan base- but ruining the ultimate payoff- the transformation into Superman. I'll end now- I have work- but it will be interesting when the premiere date finally roles around to see what they do to resolve those cliffhangers- and how long they want to keep the viewers on their toes- waiting for another wishy washy season to end with a bang.

May 16 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply