April 24, 2014

Where's Urkel?

by Richard Keller, posted May 12th 2006 9:26AM

The UrkelOne day, while I was performing an inventory of my bird flu supplies and listening to a news story about the continuing rise of gas prices, a question of the utmost importance came to me. It was so world-shattering that I stopped counting the tunafish and powdered milk; stopped worrying about ten dollar-a-gallon gas. All I wanted to know was the answer to one question and one question only...

Where's Urkel?

And by Urkel, I mean actor Jaleel White, who played the annoying neighbor Steve Urkel on the popular ABC comedy Family Matters from 1989-1998. During the show's nine seasons Urkel went from a one-joke wonder to a superstar with his own catch phrase ("Did I do that?") a doll, and his own cereal (Urkel-O's). Once the show ended, he shed his nerdy look and starred in the UPN series Grown Ups during the 1999 season.

Then, he vanished. In 2001 he graduated from UCLA Film School and has since appeared in small television roles, his last as guest-star on the UPN show Half & Half. From 2003-2005 he was a guest blogger at NBA.com. However, since then we haven't heard much from him.

So, if you know where Jaleel is, let us know. Or, Jaleel, if you would like to drop us a line we'd like to talk to you just to see how you are doing as you approach your 30th birthday.

richard

Jalell White is not dead check his site www.Jaleelwhite.com He also had a small role in a recent movie with David Masterson and Mekhi Phifer, Puff, Puff, Pass (06).

July 17 2006 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Marsh

I can only echo - strongly! - Kimberly Farr's comments in post #13. Jaleel White was my motivator as well as being, well, a Fine Man. Does that NOT say it all? He traveled the True Path - as others have done, o yes - Webster, Uni, UCLA - to find fame and...well, at least fame. For some Gross Men to pretend He is no more - for shame, for shame! And Selleck with no stars cannot be true. Go ahead, ask Erkel - for without a Steve Marsh there would have been no joy just emptiness. SM

June 16 2006 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah Woodley

Jaleel White, you were a inspiring person in the role of Stephon. This was my favorite! My heart dropped when I read the hoax. I kept reading because I wanted to see if it was true. What a relief!! I never saw that person in you as character to end it all over the special role of Steve Urkel. As Stephon, you made every woman, I'm sure, to want a man as such. I wish you continue to succeed in life with God on the seen as well as family and friends who dearly love you. I do not know you personnally, however, as a retired US Army woman, wife of 24 years and mother of a daughter in college and a son in first grade, I adore you and will enjoy your presence in our home for a family dinner when you come near Seattle-Tacoma area. I always love your professionalism in all characters that you have acted in, and I trust that you will set the example for our lost generation in being stable, free and successful in Jesus name! People from all walks of life may want to see harm, but my family and I want to see joy, peace and happiness in your life because you have impacted a wide range of age group in our time. God bless keep you!!! Deborah Woodley, Tacoma, WA

June 12 2006 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I think it was and still is a horrible hoax to say that Jaleel White committed suicide - I pray that we see him on some show that will definitely shut the mouth of the liar who started the rumor BUT I believe Mr. White should also take precaution because some wacko out there may try to make the lie the truth and people would say, I thought he was dead already - so stay alive Jaleel - out live every lie...

June 08 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne - Bronx, NY

I liked Jaleel in Family Matters right from day one. I used t thin I was the only one in America who liked his character. I remember when he wasa guest on the Arsenio Hall Show and he talked about that his father being a dentist and playing around with his glasses which I guess is where the nerdy character was born. I always watched the show for the Urkel character and in my opinion he was clearly just another character who unexpectedly became the star of Family Matters. I think R. Vel Johnson did well in his part, but it was clearly Steve Urkel's show.

June 08 2006 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda J. P. of Opa Locka,Fla.

I'm so very happy that this was just a rumor.I had told so many people what I had heard,I was feeling so sad and depressed, and watching all the news stations praying that tis was just a rumor.I've already called everyone back happily and told them it's not true.

June 07 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danielle

i received this same email and it is really a shame how cruel some people can be and don't realize that people tahke death very seriously....

June 07 2006 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria in Sac.Town

I'm extremely happy to find out it is not true. What the heck is wrong with people in circulating a nontruth. Jaleel (Urkel) has many many people who love him and appreciate his work. Who ever put started the rumor ...remember, what goes around, comes right back at you!

June 06 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan from the Chi

In my opinion, Jaleel White was the most unforgettable character on the show. Despite Eddie's muscular physique, Laura looking like a mini-Gladys Knight and the parent's weekly antics (Carl calling Steve like Mr. Spacely calling George Jetson), Steve Urkel was the real draw. I can remember him when he played on Charlie and Company with the late, great Flip Wilson. I, too, thought Jaleel had died, but was pleased to find out that he hadn't. I know he had a cameo appearance in Big Fat Liar a year or so ago, but I think it's time he got a chance to star in something of his own, so he can lose that 'Urkel' stigmatism. It would be shameful to lose such a talented individual.

June 06 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rrika

just found out not true for sure

June 06 2006 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply