July 24, 2014

The Five: TV commercials I'd like to see as a series

by Bob Sassone, posted May 13th 2006 11:53AM
1. Raisin Bran Crunch: The long running series of ads where an office worker named Smith tries to get Johnson (who just always chomps on cereal) fired, and all of his efforts backfire. This could be a really cool series like The Office or Newsradio. Johnson could spend the entire series saying nothing at all, but he keeps rising up the corporate ladder until he's President of the company, and viewers across the country would be waiting to see what his first words would be.

2. Di-Tech. The "lost another loan to Di-Tech" guy could turn out to be the next George Costanza. What is his home life like? Does he have friends? At what lengths will he go to get clients?

3. Zyrtec. The ads where the woman comes to the private eye for help because she has allergies. We need a good, old-fashioned private eye show on TV again, and this one could not only fill that private eye void, but it could be funny and surreal too. Each week he helps someone with a medical problem: allergies, athlete's foot, migraine headaches, etc.

4. The animated Ricoh commercials with the two guys in the office talking about copiers and paper. It's sort of Office Space meets the Richard Linklater film Waking Life.

5. The new Apple commercials. The ones with the PC guy (John Hodgeman) and the Mac Guy (Justin Long). It could be a 21st century Odd Couple! "Can two different computer users live together, without driving each other crazy?" (Cue music)

Wil

My favorite commercial are the Happy Cows. Those are almost more entertaining than the shows they sponsor. Now THERE is an idea for a series!

July 02 2006 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Tiny House was awesome! I used to hope they were going to make it into a real show. BTW- It's Flonase, not Zyrtec that had the PI.

May 15 2006 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I liked the Tiny House ad. Reminded me of my first apartment.

May 15 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brett

EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT>......

I love that commercial....

May 14 2006 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn

Tiny House!

I'm probably the only one that liked Tiny House...

:-(

May 13 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

How about those Capital One Visa-goths who run amok when somebody uses a high percentage credit card instead of their Capital One?

There must be a story about how they got stuck here in the present day, their future. And why credit card usage should turn them into berserkers.

Could be Time Tunnel backwash.....

May 13 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quacky

WHUh?? You didn't mention the Geico Cavemen?!

Sorry, what I meant to say was "Hey, the TV Commercial I'd like to see is Those Cavemen Guys From The Geico Commercials."

Those guys are both funny and sophistocated and very pissed off all at the same time.

May 13 2006 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

"rising up the latter"? The wha?

May 13 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

I stopped watching MSNBC because of those DiTech commercials - I hate that man with a passion

May 13 2006 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

There's a funny take on the PC/Mac commercial over at
but the punchline isn't safe enough to forward to your preacher.

May 13 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply