October 24, 2014

What the heck is Dance Dance Revolution?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 14th 2006 6:12PM
Should I know what this Dance Dance Revolution thing is? I mean, I feel really out of touch. I mean, the Wikipedia page for it is bigger than the one for poker.

And now CBS has announced that they are making a TV series out of it. It will air on Saturday mornings, so I'm assuming it's a kids show? It's going to be part of the network's "Saturday Morning Secret Slumber Party," which, to be honest, sounds kinda creepy to me.

[via Boing Boing]

Gawaine

My favorite version is Dance Dance Counter-Revolucion, from Robot Chicken.

DDR is a game that's huge in Japan (or was a few years back), and spread all over the place over here. It actually requires physical activity, and it doesn't have any violence, which makes it easier to convince parents to buy it. Techno-weenies like it because they can make their own dance pads, and because it's Japanese. Arcades like it because it's one of those games that you can only play so long, so you put in your money, play a set or two, then let someone else put their money in. Besides, it gives them less of a bad name than games with snipers.

Should you know about it? Only if you hang around arcades, teenagers, or otaku alot.

May 15 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Tucker: I'll be 41 in a few weeks. I haven't gone to the arcade in quite some time.

May 15 2006 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

Family Guy only requires an understanding of pop-culture references from the 80s. As long as Bob knows who the Boss is, he's qualified to review Family Guy.

May 15 2006 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Apparently Bob has never walked past an arcade before. Bob, sorry, but I have to add myself to the list of people who think you need to be fired from covering Family Guy. Nothing personal, but if you're so out of touch with pop culture that you don't know what DDR is, Family Guy is nowhere within your realm of expertise.

May 15 2006 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nebel

DDR is a nice waste of time (and energy), but I don't see what's fun in watching other people do it on TV.

May 14 2006 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Yes, you should know. My 51-year-old mother knows what DDR is. (Incidentally, that's part of the reason it's banned from our house.) In short, it's a rhythm game, it's been around since '98 or '99, and there are like two zillion different versions of it, on arcade machines, the Dreamcast, the PlayStations (1 and 2), the Xbox, and GameCube. The music is almost always some bouncy techno, though they've done stuff like "Disney Mix". It's been introduced into schools as part of their gym classes, and is generally recommended as a great exercise regimen. And the foremost reason you should know about DDR: it was referenced on TV a lot. Remember that episode of South Park with the dance competition? Or the episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal becomes obsessed with a dancing game at the arcade?

As for the show, it's not going to have much in common with the game other than the name and dancing.

May 14 2006 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

remember the nintendo game "track and field" that you played with the powerpad mat thing that you hop-scotched around on?

dance dance revolution is pretty much the same thing, except for playstation 2 and other game systems i guess...

May 14 2006 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply