September 2, 2014

I want to know: who the *$&!#$@ watches According to Jim?

by Joel Keller, posted May 15th 2006 2:33PM
According to JimIt seems like the number one example that anyone seems to give when discussing the all-important topic of "What's Wrong with Sitcoms?" is According to Jim. And with good reason: it's not funny. It's a paint-by-numbers script full of lame jokes. Jim Belushi's character is the epitome of the fat, lazy husband that doesn't do anything to deserve his unblievably hot wife. Oh, and did I say it's not funny? I did? Well I'll say it again: it's not funny.

But, for some reason, ABC likes this show, despite its declining ratings. How do I know? Well, Jim Belushi mentioned the show's pickup for the fall when he was on the Howard Stern show today. This means the show will be entering it's sixth season -- and has enough episodes to hit the syndication jackpot -- while innovative shows like Sons & Daughters, supposedly a favorite of ABC executives, gets the ax.

So, does anyone here actually watch According to Jim? And, if so, why do you like it? I'm extremely curious as to what you see in this show year after year. Is it the family element? Unrequited crush on Courtney Thorne-Smith? I want to know!

Piotr Ilnicki

I watch ATJ (with polish translations) - it is REALLY funny! Seriously. I watched some american episodes and it was still funny! It's the best comedy sitcom (besides "Less than perfect")

February 21 2012 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

elf,

I believe if you would take the time to read up on Focus on the Family, they advocate doing just what you are doing: being aware of what in shown and deciding its appropriateness, or not, for your family. They simply aid you in making decisions by giving information. And certainly, not all parents are as responsible as you clearly are.

May 16 2006 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noah Lazar

Come on... the show's great. Everyone these days is loving the new-style comedy like Scrubs, Earl, and The Office (which I do enjoy), but sometimes the best comedies are the old-school, family-friendly sitcoms with canned laughter.

Almost every episode involves Jim or Cheryl covering up something they did wrong and then getting caught by the other ("Well, Well, Well"). But the boorishness is not too cookie-cuter, and it is much less low-brow than other "lazy drunk dad" shows. The acting is somewhat over the top (as expected, but still good), and the scripts are well written.

Being a Jim Belushi fan, I always find some good laugh-out-loud moments in each episode (not as much as Robot Chicken, but it's up there). So just sit back, watch a few episodes, and eventually you might see ways you relate to it. ...especially if you ever tried to sneak something past your spouse.

May 15 2006 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjlawrencejr

elf,

This is a bit off topic, but there is no need to justify under what circumstances you allow your daughter to watch SCRUBS. Even if you let her watch THE SOPRANOS in all it's expletive laden glory, that's your business.

Let's not forget that organizations such as Focus on the Family and The Parent's Television Council only use children as shield to hide their personal disgust for many of the programs on television. Truth be told, they don't really care about what the children are seeing. Because if that weren't the case, they would do more to promote and celebrate parental responsibility. Remember, they have also tried to wage wars against hotel chains that show adult programming, and it's not likely the kiddies are watching much of the Spice Channel at the Marriot.

Oh and as far as ACCORDING TO JIM is concerned, I am flabbergasted that this will be the show's sixth season, but networks have always had shows like this that sneak up on you in terms of longevity (think COACH, WINGS, or STEP BY STEP). The show gets OK ratings, is inoffensive and very importantly, it is established. Now more than ever, networks rely on established shows (especially if they are produced in-house - think syndication $$$), lest we have even more mid-season reality replacements.

May 15 2006 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

I used to watch this show all the time. I thought it was great. I can't explain why, though. At some point in time, I got away from the TV and lost track of the show. I had no idea it was still on.

Naturally, the thing that grabbed my attention with this show is the super-hot Sister-In-Law. I'd run over my own mother for a chance to hit that. Yum.

Now, I refuse to watch sitcoms. I'd rather watch something that makes me think.

May 15 2006 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

For some reason my wife loves the show. She laughs out loud at almost every episode. I can stand it for pretty much the reason #2 brought to light.

Though because I've had to watch most of the episodes I have noticed one thing that makes AtJ a little different. The husband isn't always the one who is wrong. This is unusual for a sitcom of this type. Though the writers probably have a rotation for who's on top.

May 15 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Speaking of Andy, I saw the guy who plays that role (Larry Joe Campbell) at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin last fall. We were in the bar that's at the very top of building and overlooks the city (you get one free Guinness when you take the tour! Whoohoo!). Anyway, people were coming up to him and shaking his hand, so I'm guessing that a) they were Americans, and b) they knew him from the show.

Either that, or they know him from those Ball Park Frank commercials where he calls the hot dogs "girthy". Can't be sure which.

May 15 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

My wife loves this show. I watch it sometimes. I do find Andy funny.

May 15 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AB

Okay, I admit I watch and like According to Jim. But, what's wrong with that?

May 15 2006 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

ABC runs it as filler all the time. A running joke in my family is: "Your 'favorite' show is on!"

May 15 2006 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply