October 31, 2014

The Daily Show vs. The Colbert Report

by Annie Wu, posted May 15th 2006 8:51PM
The first stars a fake newsman with a wicked smirk, and the second stars a fake right-wing pundit with a vicious cocked eyebrow. They both skewer all the ridiculous aspects of America's take on democracy. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report share the late night 11 - midnight block on Comedy Central and have a tight-knit relationship (the segues alone are proof of this), so I'm always surprised by how so many people have extremely strong preferences over one or the other.

So, which one do you like better? Read about my personal choice after the jump.

It's a tie. Yeah, I'm horribly indecisive. I still think TDS and TCR are two of the best television shows on-air. Again, I'm surprised by how many people have strong preferences over the two shows when they're both so wickedly wonderful. Plus, I love Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert too much to choose between them.

Both shows do have weak points, but I think they balance out... While The Colbert Report makes me laugh out loud more often, I can't help but feel as though The Daily Show has more staying power. After all, if the personalities start dragging, TDS can always bring in new correspondents (ahh, the benefits of having a rotating cast). The same cannot be said for Stephen Colbert and his one-man show. If the audience gets tired of Colbert, they have no one else to turn to. Then again, Colbert can get wackier than TDS can (since he's playing a character), and that always has a hand in keeping ideas and concepts fresh.

leltastic

Maybe I should give it another chance, but I so prefer Jon Stewart’s straight man to Stephen Colbert’s doofus act. I liked him a lot better in Strangers with Candy. http://bitly.com/i65Mb7

April 03 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lori

Please, please take the Colbert Report show off the air and replace it with something funny.
We have struggled for a year, hoping that it will get funny and I am consistently disappointed by this weak, lame, unfunny show.
I love the Daly Show, but Steven Colbert's time is up. He's just NOT FUNNY!!!!!
Please change or I will cancel my subscription to the Comedy Channel sooner that I would like.
Thanks,
Lori

June 22 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

Love TDS, always have and don't care for TCR. Hubby likes it more than I do, The Word can be funny but I usually leave the room when Colbert comes on. Agree about TDS having the last minute to Colbert, not needed. I wish TDS would get rid of the moment of zen too, it's usually stupid. Love Jon, don't care for Stephen, I'm surprised his show has held on this long.

May 22 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

I like both shows. I appreciate Stewart's political savvy and Colbert's sense of humor. My beef with both shows is their lack of minority "correspondents". TDS, in particular, has a history of replacing correspondents who have moved on with other white men--usually the relatives of alumni. Both shows need more women and minorities. Intriguingly, they skewer others for being racist and then perpetuate exclusion themselves.

May 18 2006 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ELE

If it weren't for Jon Stewart of The Daily Show and the Stephan of The Colbert Report I wouldn't turn my TV on at all.
I agree with Pamela, Colbert makes me howl laughing especially when he goofs up his own jokes!!

May 18 2006 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eleanor Linberg

I live for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Can you believe that I hurry home to watch new shows M-T-W-T by eleven because belly laughs are so good for my health. I love TDS's satire and SCR's extraordinary breadth of genius to skewer everybody.

May 18 2006 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meagan

The Daily Show & The Colbert Report are the best shows on tv.

May 18 2006 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FARMBO

THE DAILY SHOW IS LIKE THE WIND IN IRAQ...IT DOESN'T BLOW...IT SUCKS ! JON STEWART ISN'T FUNNY AND HIS JEWISHNESS DOESN'T WORK FOR HIM. HIS WRITING STAFF I'M SURE TAKES ALL THE FLACK FOR POORER RATING BUT IT'S JON WHO IS THE WEAKEST LINK....GOODBYE !
THE COLBERT REPORT IS NEW AND FRESH BUT IT'S WANING FAST, THE MUGGING FOR THE CAMERA ISN'T FUNNY WHEN STEWART DOES IT AND THE ARCHING EYEBROW AND FLOP EAR IS WORKING FOR COLBERT. WHERE DOES COMEDY CENTRAL FIND THESE LAME-O "ARTISTS" THEY ALL ACT LIKE THAT OTHER LOSER ASS**** PHIL MAHR ! ASS***** AREN'T FUNNY THEY ARE JUST ASS***** GETTING PAID TO BE BIGGER ASS***** THAN THAN THEY ARE IN REAL LIFE. TRY AGAIN !

May 18 2006 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derrik Lewis

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are just two of the five shows I never miss. They include Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahr, Countdown with Steve Olberman and 360 with Andersen Cooper. And the best news magazine I've ever read is "This Week". Sorry to stray from your point. DL

May 18 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
N King

I love TDS!! I think that us liberals need a voice in the FOX world and although TDS is a spoof, Jon Stewart discusses topics that mainstream media... leaves out. I don't mind that Jon gets political. You don't invite someone onto your show to talk about their dog. You invite them to discuss their views and create a debate. It's only fair that both sides of the case get airtime... not just the FOX news side or Christian Coalition.

May 18 2006 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply