April 18, 2014

The Upfronts: NBC

by Bob Sassone, posted May 15th 2006 9:56AM
NBC released its fall 2006 schedule today, and while there are many predictable comings and goings, there are a couple of surprises too:

In: Deal Or No Deal, Medium, Law and Order: SVU, The Biggest Loser, Law and Order, My Name Is Earl, The Office, Las Vegas, Law and Order: CI, Dateline, Scrubs, Crossing Jordan, The Apprentice

Out: Surface, Joey, E-Ring, West Wing, Will and Grace, Four Kings, Teachers, Heist, Celebrity Cooking Showdown, Conviction

New: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Kidnapped, 20 Good Years, 30 Rock, The Black Donnellys, Football Night In America, Sunday Night Football, America's Got Talent, Raines, The Singles Table, Andy Barker, P.I.

Interesting lineup too, as Studio 60 goes into the Thursday at 9 slot (after Earl and The Office) and ER stays at 10 (til January, when The Black Donnellys take over for a while).

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is Aaron Sorkin's comedy/drama about the behind-the-scenes goings of an SNL-ish show. Stars Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, Steven Weber, and D.L. Hughley.

Andy Barker, P.I.
is Andy Richter's comedy (produced by Conan O'Brien) about a bumbling private eye that FOX passed on. No scheduled day/time yet.

30 Rock is Tina Fey's comedy about a late night variety show that some thought might not make the schedule because of Studio 60. Co-stars Alec Baldwin. Wednesday at 9:30.

Friday Night Lights
is based on the movie about high school football. Tuesdays at 8.

America's Got Talent
is the new Simon Cowell show hosted by Regis Philbin. It will air on Sunday nights starting in January.

Raines
is the new Jeff Goldblum drama about a quirky detective.

The Black Donnellys
is a crime drama from Paul Haggis, starring Jonathan Tucker and Billy Lush.

Heroes is a new superhero drama, starring Milo Ventimiglia and Sendhil Ramamurthy. Mondays at 9.

20 Good Years
is a comedy with Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow. Wednesday at 9.

Kidnapped
is a crime drama too, with a whole season about a kidnapping, starring Jeremy Sisto, Delroy Lindo, and Timothy Hutton. Tuesdays at 9.

The Singles Table
is about strangers who meet at a wedding, starring John Cho and Jarrad Paul. No scheduled day/time yet.

Football Night In America will air one hour before Sunday Night Football, at 7.

Note: Scrubs and Crossing Jordan won't come back til later in the season. Sorry fans!

LEO

if anyone from FOX OR CBS reads this pick up Surface we loved it too much....it never got a fair shake....NBC,i can't believe you renewed Scrubs before Surface. i HAD GOTTEN 7 FAMILY MEMEBERS TO BECOME FANS OF THE SHOW

August 03 2006 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LEO

im am leaving nbc and takeing as many people with me as possible SURFACE was awesome and to be left out in the cold, that hurts. Please Bring It Back Please!!!!

August 03 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LEO

i really hate to see surface go i really loved that show and i was getting very good....why do all the shows i love go away.

August 03 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa Engleman

I had quit watching network tv until I rediscovered Law & Order (all of them) and Surface. I actually tuned in to watch these shows and liked them. I am not a big comedy fan and find alot of the network shows insipid. Maybe that is why I read more. Anyway, I am upset about the cancellation of Surface (although I just found out)during a cliffhanger. Why should we bother to watch any of their new shows? Why invest the time? I won't. I have Tivo so I will record what shows I follow on NBC (no chance of being lured into watching some other follow on show).Neither will my children. I am not interested in any of their new shows....my demographics: female,age 45, some college, Customer Service industry and parent. This move is why so many people like cable instead of network tv.

July 12 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

It's always amazing seeing which shows sink and which ones float.... Tossing out an interesting sci fi show like surface makes no sense to me. Finally something original and interesing on the air, that isn't another reality show, and it's pulled before its even given a fair chance. Hope it gets picked up by sci fi, but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

July 12 2006 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brauco

I was dissapointed when I learn that there will be no second season for Surface. I loved the story and it is just the PERFECT show for the Sci-Fi channel. So, fare well Surface and .... oh, what the heck : pleeeeeeeeease NBC people !! you can't leave us just wondering !! Do a two hour special or something so we can have some closure :)

May 21 2006 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The ones that wished hadn't got the pink slip: four kings and teachers. Thats really sad. I really did enjoy Four Kings, but I guess I was the only one. Oh well, NBC: if anyone is going to read this: PLEASE PLEASE do not remove ER from its 9pm slot on Thursday nights, where it has occupied that slot for the past 10+ years. RIDICULOUS, it won't last on a Tuesday night. Keep it where it is! The ones that I don't care are gone: West Wing, Surface, E-Ring, Conviction, Joey.... But if I can, I just want to say that a couple years ago, NBC had some really good new shows that did get cancelled: LAX, Medical Investigation, Hawaii.. those were good shows.

May 21 2006 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Meckley

I am sad to see Conviction going. I think NBC should give this show another timeslot at least before canceling it. Conviction is awesome and I like the fact that they also go into some personal lives of the characters too. I am glad though that NBC is keeping its number one show right now which I love Deal Or No Deal. i know that I am not a television writer yet but I have some great ideas for some shows and I even have a game that Ive created that would make a great gameshow.

May 16 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimberly

No wonder NBC is doing poorly, Surface is great, they should have moved it to a different time slot before taking it off the air. I was really looking forward to the next season!

May 16 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alice

My Name is Earl. Puleeze!! That show is beyond dumb!!!

May 16 2006 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply