July 22, 2014

Lost: Three Minutes

by C.K. Sample, III, posted May 17th 2006 11:01PM
(S02E22) Tonight's episode of Lost titled "Three Minutes" begins 13 days in the past, when Michael first knocked out Locke, stole a gun, and locked Locke and Jack in the closet together. For the entire episode, we flash back and forth between Michael's side of the thirteen days he's been missing and the current actions on the island. This is only the third episode of Lost to exclusively focus on flashbacks from the island with no look at someone's life off the island (the others being "The Other 48 Days" and the episode where Claire recovers her past memories from when she was abducted by the Others).

Continue reading after the jump for more...

There are several interesting nuggets in this episode, but for the most part, the entire episode was more a preface for next week's season finale than anything else. The entire episode was catching us up with Michael's motivation with little, if any, actual forward motion in actions on the island.

Charlie was featured in this episode's subplot. He brings Claire and the baby some of the vaccine which the Others had been feeding to them both when Claire was captured. Claire seemed genuinely thankful and we see the first steps of a reconciliation between her and Charlie. Charlie later finds Eko at the computer entering the numbers and discovers that Eko is no longer going to build the church. Charlie responds negatively to this, but returns to the church and continues trying to build it alone. Vincent brings one of the Mary statues to Charlie's feet and we think that he's on another downward spiral, but it turns out to just be a nice tease. Instead, he follows Vincent to the stash of statues and throws them all out into the ocean. After he throws the last one, we see that Locke was watching him from the beach.

There's another interesting scene with Jack and Sawyer before the funeral for Ana Lucia and Libby, where Sawyer tells Jack, "I screwed her...that's how she got my gun. She jumped me. We got 'caught in a net'." Jack asks, "Why are you telling me this?" and Sawyer replies, "Because you're about the closet thing I got to a friend, Doc . . . and because she's gone. [pause] Well, at least now we get to kill somebody." And then he cocks his shotgun.

The rest of the episode revolves around Michael being captured by the Others, taken to their camp, and seeing Walt in the flashbacks and Michael trying to persuade Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Hugo to come with him to save Walt. No one else can come and these four must come. Why? Because Ms. Clue, who seems to be the leader of the Others, tells Michael that freeing Henry Gale and bringing these four to her is the only way that he'll ever see Walt again. He has two main problems with his plan: Hugo doesn't want to go and Sawyer enlists Sayid to come along. Michael argues with Sayid and seemingly convinces him to not come, but we discover near the end of the episode that this argument merely persuaded Sayid that Michael has been compromised. He tells Jack as much and tells him that they have one night to make a plan.

The name of the episode refers to the 3 minutes that Ms. Clue offers for Walt and Michael to see each other before Michael will agree to her plan. As with all of Michael's life with Walt, this three minutes is cut short, as Walt starts telling Michael things that Ms. Clue doesn't want him to know. Walt notes, "They make me take tests" and "They're not who they say they are, they're pretending!" Walt runs across the room and embraces his father as they try to take him away, shouting "I love you, Dad." Michael is broken by this exchange, agrees to Ms. Clue's plan, and then demands that in addition to setting them free that the Others give him a boat for doing what they want.

The episode ends somewhat oddly with Libby and Ana Lucia's funeral. During this scene several bits happen all at once, as if the writers felt that not enough had happened in the episode, so they needed to cram the end full of a lot of red herrings to get us in a frenzy for next week. Hugo gets emotional talking about Libby as is to be expected, and Michael continues to look somewhat guilty, as he had for the entire episode. But on the way to the funeral, Sayid and Jack have their exchange about Michael being compromised. Locke, sitting on the beach, looks at the funeral, cuts off the splint on his "injured" leg, and gets up and walks away, and at the very end as they are all mourning, a sailboat drifts close to the beach and they all start shouting "It's a boat!" The scene was very mixed in emotion and hard to read.

All in all it wasn't a horrible episode, but if felt very much like a preface to next week's episode, which I only hope can deliver on the hype.

dave

Michael had a little time to formulate a plan. And, given that there were multiple options to save his son - such as coming clean with the Jack Locke etc. and that the idea that the others are going to let Michael and Walt go just because they say so is sketchy. Let them go where? They'd be pariahs from the original castaways after betraying them. Walt'd die by being in the custody of an isolated moron.
So all you "I'd kill to save my son" commenters are not referring to this situation. A more accurate situation would be "I'd kill, whether or not it'd save my son, and even if it puts him in more danger." very impressive.

Anyway, the point it. Michael is a moron.

Also. If Darren Stevens can be replaced with a new actor, Walt can suddenly be taller. And if 20 somethings can be in highschool for 10 years on every sitcom on TV, Walt can get a little taller in two months.

Anyway I don't think the goal of the others is to get Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, and Kate. I think the goal is to make Michael try to do it.

Ultimately, I think this was a good episode. The questions feel fresh for some reason, even if they're not new.

May 20 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

No one has posted this so... Did anyone catch Abrams and Dominic Monaghan on Kimmel last friday night? The bearded guy, (Sawyer's "ZEKE") was in the shows audience, during the interview with Abrams he and Domininc say theres a big surprise at the end of the season.... Moments later the guy (Zeke) mumbles something, Sort of what happened with Walt's Astral projection to Shannon right before she gets killed. Did any one tivo it? Even Jimmy Kimmel said hed have to play it backwards to see what the guy was saying?
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

May 19 2006 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tasha

WEll Locke's dad was still alive. Kate killed hers...if that was really her dad...I am starting to have the theory that maybe her and Jack are brother and sister....Jack's dad is dead. Sawyer's dad is dead. So that leaves Hurley.

May 19 2006 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen Schmidt

Aw come on...You guys would NOT kill innocent people if you thought it would help you get your kid back. Michael would have had a better chance if he included the Losties in his plan rather that trying to trick them.

May 19 2006 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

So I can't believe its taken me until Friday to come on here. When I was reviewing the earlies posts I was formulating my own... then I read on and most of you said what I was already intending to.

Nonetheless, I'll be redundant. I have two kiddos myself, and though I definately would defend them to my (or the other guy's) death- I certainly wouldn't kill an innocent bystander. Come on people, get some perspective. I have to agree with LC (which I usually do) when I say that Michael's actions aren't forgiveable or forgettable and ultimately he's either going to have to be killed off or jump ship to the other side (which looks highly unlikely).

As for the link between Hurly, Kate, Jack & Sawyer-- I like the island vision theory, its an intriguing one. As for the father issues being the link- what about Locke? He had dad issues that would've shocked Frued.

Oh yeah, and what was with the crazy Marion theories about Jack, Locke, Eko & Sawyer being the same person? Huh? As an earlier poster said so eloquently and politically correct- that is retarded.

May 19 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

The girl who plays Alex was also the young Krelborn girl in "Malcolm in the Middle," Cynthia, played by Tania Raymonde.

I was looking at her on the last episode of "Lost" and I knew it was her.

May 18 2006 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tasha

Also...may I add that one connection between Jack, Sawyer, and Kate, is none of them got along with their dads. I am not sure about Hurley. Just a thought. I mean Walt and Micheal had a child parent issue going on...so....does that make any sense???LOL

May 18 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tasha

If I was in Micheal's situation...I would kill too. We also did not see alot of what he went thru that week. Another is that woman looked pretty serious, that if he didn't get those people there, he would never see his son again. He had to let Henry free, that was his first assignment. How could he let Henry free without anyone knowing he did it? I think Libby was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if it was my kids in that situation...the sooner the better. Also, the castaways seem to understand somewhat, they just don't know he killed the girls. They may never know.

May 18 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I think they waited to long to return to the Michael/Walt storyline. At this point, who cares? Michael gave Walt up as a baby and was none too thrilled to go to Australia and retrieve him. I find his passion for Walt to ring false, it's not out of fatherly love - it's out of guilt. Any person who goes on and on about "my son,my son" is all about possession. Plus, when Walt asked about Vincent, Michael had to remember who/what that was? Come on! Your kid's beloved dog.

May 18 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dragon

I really hope Michael gets killed in the finale, I can understand wanting your kid back, but killing 2, and marching another 4 into possible death. Where would he, and those posting here that they would also, stop? Would you be willing to murder 10, 20, 50 people to get your kid back?

May 18 2006 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply