December 22, 2014

The Upfronts: CBS

by Joel Keller, posted May 17th 2006 10:40AM
CBS logoCBS released its 2006-07 prime-time schedule this morning. They're returning a lot of shows this year, only introducing seven new shows, four of which will debut in the fall. The changes in brief:

Returning: Survivor, The King of Queens (13 episodes airing at mid-season), The New Adventures of Old Christine, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, The Amazing Race, Without A Trace, Numb3rs, Ghost Whisperer, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI:NY, The Unit, Criminal Minds, Close to Home, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours: Mysteries, Crimetime Saturday (reurns of CBS crime procedurals), NCIS.

Out: Threshold, Out of Practice, Courting Alex, CBS Sunday Movie, Love Monkey, Yes, Dear, Still Standing.

New: The Class, Smith, Jericho, Shark, 3 Lbs., Waterfront, Rules of Engagement.

Moving: How I Met Your Mother
(to Mondays at 8), The Amazing Race (to Sundays at 8), Cold Case (to Sundays at 9), Without A Trace (to Sundays at 10).

Detailed descriptions of the new shows are after the jump.

The Class (Mondays at 8:30 PM): The only new comedy on the fall schedule, it's produced by David Crane, who was one of the producers of Friends, and Jeffery Klarik (Mad About You). It involves a group of 20-something friends who were all in the same third-grade class together. They reunite twenty years after first meeting and see how much things have changed (and how they've stayed the same). Starring Jason Ritter, among others. James Burrows directs and is the third executive producer.

Smith (Tuesdays at 10 PM): Ray Liotta and Virginia Madsen star in this drama about a master thief Bobby Stevens (Liotta) who is looking to make a few more big, intricate scores before calling it quits to live the straight life he's built with his wife (Madsen) and family. Of course, Stevens has another family, which is his team of theives with their specific expertises. Think Heist, but with multiple capers planned over a season. Produced by John Wells (ER, The West Wing).

Jericho (Wednesdays at 8 PM): When a nuclear mushroom cloud appears suddenly over Jericho, Kansas, the townspeople there have to deal with the chaos and lawlessness that ensues when they think they're the only Americans still alive. How do they deal with essential services being elminated and everyone's out for themselves? Secrets are revealed and people find something within themselves that they never knew existed. What I want to know is: why Kansas? Didn't ABC blow up Kansas on The Day After 20 years ago? What did this state do to deserve getting nuked twice by TV writers? Anyway, Skeet Ulrich and Gerald McRaney star.

Shark (Thursdays at 10 PM): James Woods stars as a cocky and confident defense attorney who moves over to the prosecution side after he loses a case. His boss is a DA who hates his tactics, and he is assigned to a team of young prosecutors who are going to get the lesson of a lifetime. Also starring Jeri Ryan. Directed by Spike Lee.

Some quick info about the mid-season replacements:

3 Lbs.: Stanley Tucci stars in a drama about neurosurgeons in New York. Maybe the "3 lbs." refers to how much the brain weighs. I don't know.

Waterfront: Joe Pantoliano stars in a drama about the colorful mayor of Providence, RI. From what I know about Providence, I'm sure Joey Pants is going to be playing someone who resembles Buddy Cianci, who rebuilt the city but is now in prison for racketeering and other charges.

Rules of Engagement: A comedy from Adam Sandler's production company that will likely be paired with King of Queens when it comes back. It examines two couples and a single friend as they navigate the rocky waters of dating, marriage, and being engaged. Starring Patrick Warburton (Putty from Seinfeld).

AOL has more information here.

jerry

Nope, both wrong. In "the day after" it was Kansas City(the majority of which is located in Missouri...go figure?) that was laid to waste, but it is about how Lawerence, Sedalia, and other communities deal with the issue.... Well it could have been Sedalia also that was wiped out. There were two mushroom clouds side by side. Probably just as well,the state fair is in Sadalia.

August 05 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lake

We love Numb3rs and The Unit. It's nice to intelligent shows for a change. The leads are great characters with room to grow. EXCELLENT!

May 22 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I'll watch 'Ghost Whisperer, Mumb3ers, NCIS' & 'the Unit' so long as it's not conflicting with 'a new episode of 'House'. 'House would be my 1st choice, though... I'll catch 'the Unit' in reruns. I may see what I think of 'Jericho' (just depends on if it conflicts with something else I'd prefer to watch) but the rest of the shows scheduled on CBS are officially cancelled by ME before the season starts! NO sitcoms, reality shows & the rest for me! BTW, I did watch 'Threshold'. Sorry they cancelled that show?

May 21 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sebastian

Wasn't Jericho on Showtime a couple of years back. I never watched it, but I remember the ad in the back of comic books a couple years back. I think it starred Theo Huxtable and one of the 90210 guys (Dylan?). At least, these two shows sound the same from what little I know. I did read somewhere the showtime show was based on a series of young adult novels ... this new show is probably just based on the same source material. Anyway ... just wondering aloud.

May 20 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

Well I guess I hit the Jack pot for my Favorite shows.I only watch 2 shows on CBS.For years this Network was my Favorite,But it has dropped over the years.

May 18 2006 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Draugnar

Buddy is spot on about "Out of Practice". "Old Christine" is just JLD doing Elaine as a divorce and is just not good. "Out of Practice" is an intelligent, witty show that was just coming into it's own when they moved it and killed it. They used to have a great line up with "How I Met Your Mother," "Two and a Half Men," and "Out of Practice." Now, we have the other two thirds of that great trio split by some new show that sounds like a "Friends" wannabe (sorry, I'm 40 and have a career and don't care to relive my college days again). I guess I'll have a half hour to play XBox or read a book in between the two good Monday night shows.

The rest of the line-up is rather weak as well, but then so are the other network's announced line-ups so far. Besides the aforementioned comedies and NCIS, there isn't any other CBS shows I feel the need to program in the DVR and be certain I catch every week.

At least I'll have 24, Lost, and Boston Legal (and SciFi Friday when that trio of shows returns) to provide some passive entertainment throughout the week.

I guess it's time for the summer repeats to start. At least Paramount's Kings Island (Cincinnati's premiere theme park) opens up the waterpark this Saturday and I have plenty of good books to read.

May 18 2006 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trace

I love the idea of Jericho - because I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic story. But I'm not happy with the timeslot at all, I think it should be an hour later (and a different night!)

May 17 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buddy

I'm very disappointed at CBS for the dropping the ball on "Out of Practice." Usually I don't care too much, but this show deserved a better fate. The ratings were getting better (as well as the show's storylines and characters) on Monday nights before being bumped for "Courting Alex" and later "Old Christine." It is too bad that this simple sitcom wasn't given the chance to grow; it could have been a classic hit. If CBS airs the remaining episodes this summer, give it a sampling. CBS should have given the show a chance like they did with "Yes Dear" and "Still Standing." Sad day.

May 17 2006 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

Come on... Like if a nuke went off anywhere, much less the middle of the US, there wouldn't be some on the scene investigation within hours.

Now if this were a one time mad for TV I could understand, I wouldn't watch it but I'd understand. This sounds like it is going to take "suspension of belief" a little to far.

May 17 2006 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Thank god they axed that "Courting Alex" show ...

May 17 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply