July 30, 2014

Will you watch a Commander-In-Chief movie?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 17th 2006 9:01AM
Sutherland and DavisAs Joel reported yesterday, ABC has canceled the Presidential drama Commander-In-Chief, saying it might come back as a two hour movie. But now Zap2it.com is reporting that not only will the two hour movie wrap up the storyline, but it could actually revive the series if it gets good enough ratings and the network thinks the show could succeed in a different form.

Chances of a TV movie? Excellent. Chances of the show coming back as a regular series? I'd say slightly less than zero.

AizhaQUEENi

Cancelling the show bc those of us who loved it weren't numerous enough for them was just wrong! We were loyal viewers of the show and that was a slap in the face to say -- in essence -- we weren't good enough.
That was by far one of thee best shows ever created.

Donald Sutherland's character was everything that is wrong with politics and politicians today, and therefore infuriating but entertaining. Mac's character stood for what our political forefather's had in mind when they started the whole thing. Truly polar opposites, and a joy to watch.

If those responsible for the show, creating, writing, producing etc. recognize the value of ALL viewers, you will bring back the show. Hopefully w/ the same characters and actors as the first. If you do, trust that it will greatly, greatly, be appreciated.

May 28 2011 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

West Wing and Commander in Chief have been great hits. Over here in the UK we are simply reeling from the cutting of the first series after just one airing. Geena Davis is such a great actress - she deserves better. Come on ABC - give it one more show and if you give it a decent slot and leave it there - you will get your audience

July 29 2006 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen Champagne

Honestly,I leave to go overseas to take care of my new grandchild and hope to come home to watch my favorite show and its gone! I felt like a war had gone on in Hollywood and I wasn't invited! Really just the thought of "Commander and Chief" being still part of the American scene got me through the long nights in Europe thinking when I got home I could play back long lost recorded episodes on my VCR I was unable to see in person. Alas, the shows stopped and my family was unable to save those that were not shown!!! PLEASE PUT THE SHOW BACK ON?! Please? Let the world know how great we are by this continuation of our future female president(s). Thank you and best regards to all...I will look forward to its Premere....CR Champagne

July 17 2006 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

Okay, commander in chief was a excellent show that i ACUTALLY enjoyed watching for once. i think the movie would be a great chance to bring back ratings and hopefully bring back a new chance for it as a great hit. i want to think that its coming back and hopfully if ABC is smart, it will....and for all those who dont agree dont comment such things that spoil all the good that was put into this show and the people that watch it!

June 18 2006 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

Bring it Back; Bring it Back....this show is excellent. Well scripted, well played. And as a female president...this shows a person (just happens to be a woman) as an excellent president. What in the world is wrong with ABC. My family, a vietnam vet father, at home mother, me - a out-of-home working mother, a union husband and son, and a military son and teenage son....everyone gave it praise. In my father's words..."they take off every show people enjoy and keep the reality crap."
I agree.

June 12 2006 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VEA

Greetings Everyone!

I just created a petition to try and save "Commander In Chief". I know that the people at NOW had people email ABC directly to try to do so, but it didn't seem to pan out. I wanted to try and gather a petition so they could see how important this show really is.

I'm disgusted at the tactics of producers and executives. It seems just when a new, female-strong show is brought to light that they immediately switch it to another time slot (inconvenient at that), to somehow "prove" that it doesn't have great ratings.... thus cancelling it.

Everytime this show has been on, I've said to my friend, "Hey, our president is on!" I feel it's about time that shows like this are brought into everyday consciousness. It gives girls and women a window into what the world can be like, and how to deal with it with integrity. It also shows men (perhaps why it's being cancelled) how a woman can truly run a country with compromise, a true sense of fairness, and being able to think outside the box.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts.

Brightest Blessings,
Raven

June 07 2006 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jami

What can we do to fix this? How can we help get ratings up? I love this show? Everyone talks about it the next day. I T-vo it and love watching!

Help - I love this show!!!

June 01 2006 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenna

I am simply amazed that ABC is dumping CIC. Hello?
When they decide to bring back the Bachlor.
Get real! Who does this?
ABC dropped the ball.
I shouldn't be upset...everytime I find a show that keeps you interested they either move it, or destroy the momentum.
It's to bad. Sutherland and Davis are to great actors.
ABC needs to think outside of the box.

May 31 2006 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BJ

Yes, I would watch the movie. I hope a movie would draw more people to want to watch Commander. If ABC can't retool the show & have it on next year. I hope that one of the other networks will pickit up & make a good run with it.

May 30 2006 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smeagle

ABC dropped the ball with this one. Timing was perfect with West Wing ending. They messed with the episodes and scheduling and dug their own grave.

May 27 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply