American Idol: Paula's runny mascara

by Lacy Hall, posted May 18th 2006 7:42AM

ai logoI'll confess to this -- I did cry after watching Elliott's homecoming footage. I'm not the type of person who typically cries at a reality show montage, especially for one involving an Amish leprechaun (as one reader expertly described him.) But I'll fess up to crying tonight. I sniffled and thought, "man, it's going to be sad when he gets eliminated tonight." But then I shrugged my shoulders and remembered ... I don't like Elliott. Never have. But my tears were real, and not faux like Ryan's sexuality or Paula's boobs. I am slightly embarrassed that I broke down so easily. But hey, you gotta admit that seeing his mom choke up during Elliott's parade was a tear jerking Music/Variety/Game Show moment.

It was a good send off for a kid that nobody really thought would make it this far. (Oh, except Paula, of course.)

I was surprised the vote was so close this week. Taylor did not windmill over the competition as I would have hoped. In fact, the votes were so equally split that all three contestants were only separated by a fraction of a percentage point. I'm not great with math, but I know that when you gotta break it down to decimal points, then that's some serious crap. I was pleased that Ryan decided to make Elliott's elimination a little more respectful than Chris' poor send off. Acknowledging Elliott's mom in the crowd was a lot more pleasant than Chris' slap on the back last week.

As far as the show was concerned, I think this was one of my favorite shows of the season. Elimination nights are normally tedious and painful, but tonight was actually fun and enjoyable. I absolutely loved the footage of the contestants in their hometowns. We really haven't gotten to see the more personal side of the contestants since way back when we learned that Gedeon had a creepy affinity for metaphorical oil paintings. I did feel sorry for Katharine and the fact that her hometown is Hollywood. It was sort of a lame homecoming with it only being a few minutes away. But the high school kids at her alma mater did a good job feigning explosive excitement. But I don't blame Katharine for her lame homecoming footage. You just can't compete with the South. You have to admit that Southerners love parades and musical performances that take place in shopping malls. I'm from the South, and I know, we just eat that crap up.

Speaking of Katharine, I need to set the record straight. I like her big butt. Sure, I point out that she has a lot of junk in her trunk whenever possible. But I do the same with Taylor's gray locks and Elliott's donkey face. But I never said that I didn't like her delicious rump. I hated Mandissa's genormous fat ass. It was just too much, almost comical. But I like Katharine's curves. I think she's sexy. But you know what's not sexy? Paula crying. Ugh. It looked like she dumped olive oil on her face. I once thought that Tammy Faye Baker's tears were the most hideous display of liquid emotion in television history. I was wrong.

purl

I don't know why I'm even bothering to post on here again, as this morning, you wouldn't print my 'blog' since I criticized you, as others did, for knocking the contestants. So here it is again. To me, censuring contestants is a rude and ignorant thing to do. Could you make it to American Idol? Do you have any talent to make a living? Obviously, writing isn't your forte.
Back to school kiddo!

May 19 2006 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Fan

It is true, you are just jealous, what other reason would you have to hate her so much? Because she beat your favorite? Well, she did, so suck it up and move on. I've seen your kind before, pathetic people, jealous of what others have and you don't. One day you will grow up and accept people for who they are, not by judging their looks, but their talent.

You need to hit the stairmaster? Kat admits she has a big butt, she did on one of the first shows. If she could just be as perfect as you.

May 18 2006 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

Your number one venemous Kat hater reporting for duty!

:-D

...and F.Y.I.:
my rear is half the size of hers and twice as perky!

:-D

Pffft... I am so sick of the 'jealousy' refrain you people set as your default.

She comes off as full of herself, I have given examples of this *BEHAVIOR* and so have plenty of my fellow Mc Phee detractors.

It's not jealousy, it is a perception of a person based on how the person acts. We all make them each and every day.

Make a better argument if you can.

Well...time to get back on my stairmaster!!! :-D

May 18 2006 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula

Still can NOT understand how Chris was favored to win this thing(in the top three and thats it)....He has a Powerful voice, dont get me wrong...but there is soooooooo much more to singing than shouting and being stiff! You HAVE to PERFORM as well....it's the ENTIRE package! Chris did NOT have it...and those of you who are still crying in your IDOL milk over his elimination....did you vote? Yeah...thought so.

May 18 2006 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

EMILYLOVESELLIOT!!
OMG, you weren't lied to!
from an LA times article on zaba and AI:
"the 'People Search and Public Information Search Engine' Zaba Search...predicting the loser based on whom has been most searched for online..."

it's not the actual phone-in vote totals.

and WOW! are you crude. did Kat run over your puppy or something?

May 18 2006 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Wilson

EmilyLovesElliott, I know it's tough to lose your favorite contestant, but that doesn't mean you have to call other contestants by vulgar names. We all have our favorites (Taylor, for me), and I don't think I'm alone in wishing you hadn't encouraged people to vote for him immediately following your unfortunate attack on Katharine's character.

Mike

May 18 2006 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kath

In the case of Elliot's fan base voting for Kat or Taylor, well there is no possible way that Elliot's fan base will put up with Kat's "so full of herself" attitude, most of the people that fell for Elliot is because he is a TRUE person inside and out and full of talent, not some Barbie Doll that needs to do a sound track for Walt Disney, c'mon folks I bet all those Elliot fans will seek a more comon ground with Taylor.
Ya think?

May 18 2006 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Fan

EMILYLOVESELLIOTT!!

May 18 2006 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EmIiY

OMW!!!! THEY LIKE BLATENTLY LIED!!!!!!
LOOK AT THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

May 18 2006 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Fan

You people cannot possibly think that Kat cannot sing. I think you all are just jealous because she is pretty and can sing and probably has a smaller rearend than you do. I think Taylor has the best stage presence and would probably buy an album from him before I would Kat, but I still know she has the better voice. I like Elliot hated to see him go, but his style wasn't my choice. I think Chris and Kat have the best voices of all! Mandisa had a great voice too, I am sure we will be hearing from her.

May 18 2006 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply