July 24, 2014

American Inventor: The Finale Results Show

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 18th 2006 10:31PM
american inventor(S01E11) I know there are a lot of sensitive readers out there who'll get upset if I reveal the winner of this show right here, above the fold, so I'll have you click on to read the quick summary. Why only a quick summary? Because haven't the creators of this show put you through enough hours of recapping this show already?

So, did you call the winner? I think 49% of the viewers thought Janusz's capsule was just too risky or unsafe to win the contest, while another 49% thought it was simply too important not to win. I fell within the remaining 2% who teetered in the middle somewhere.

I have to admit that as hard as I've been on this show, what each of the four finalists walk away with makes them all winners. These are huge companies and people backing these products. Francisco will have Trek help market his bike; Eric Thompson will have Jerry Rice help develop and market The Catch; and Hasbro is going to work with Ed Hall to get Word Ace among their product line. Then of course, Yanoush gets Evenflo to work with him, which again is another huge company.

I've heard that the million dollars that Janusz won is merely an advance on what he makes from the sales of his finished product. So really, I don't think any of the four finalists loses. Janusz just gets a jump up on everyone.

Also, for future American Inventor hopefulls, I have one suggestion: make sure your product doesn't market primarily to kids. Why? Because kids aren't likely to watch American Inventor, nevermind pick up the phone can vote. I think that's one reason Francisco's bike didn't win.

This show's been picked up for another season, and I really, really hope the people responsible for American Inventor rethink everything. The amount of recaps we had to endure were incredibly painful. Even the incredibly drawn out pauses in the finale while revealing each "loser" were ridiculous -- even Ryan Seacrest at least talks a bit during the Idol voting delays.

judy diaz

I loved the show. I didn't miss any episode but I knew from the very start that the baby seat would win - hands down. Also, how come there was never any mention of how much these top 4 items would retail for except the game??? If that car seat were terribly expensive and the viewing audience knew that, he may have lost for Word ACe!!! I can't wait for next year. Also, I was disappointed that the viewing audience did the voting - not the professional judges.

May 19 2006 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Paul Gnass

I've been in the inventing field for 3 decades, working with thousands of inventors. What I've seen is that inventors often invent without doing the proper indepth research to see if the invention has ever been invented before, or if there's something really close to it somewhere, or in a previous time.

But truly, the thousands of inventors that I've worked with who come up with their inspiration often will have a unique story related to how they came up with their concept and idea. I don't believe that the majority of the people that I've worked with or met, or who are new to the invention field, have copied or stolen somebody else's idea and perfected it.

I'm more likely to believe that ideas are in the ether, and that when lightening strikes, it strikes many people simultaneously. The rule is that "he who develops, creates, and gets his product to the market first, with the biggest bang [proper launching and marketing], will take the elephant's share of the market and will be the first product in the market".

You can see this in every field where intellectual property is being created whether movies, books, entrepreneur concepts, etc., there are always many people working on the same concept around the world, who usually have no knowledge of one another.

So in regards to Liberkowski, I don't believe that he blatantly copied somebody else's idea. I think he was driven by passion, due to his daughter's death, to create something that was better and could help other people avoid the same tragedy he experienced.

Ultimately, the invention that ends up in the marketplace does so by the persistence, tenacity, drive and passion of the inventor.

I hope this explanation gives a little more insight into this blog entry.
Stephen Paul Gnass
Sr. Consultant, Gnass Group
Executive Director, National Congress of Inventor Organizations
Founder InventionConvention.com

May 19 2006 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nahid

I most likely won't be watching this show next year. Unless I'm completely bored and there's nothing else on TV, I'm not watching this. The recraps every single week were painful. Also, most of last night's episode ended up being a recap! Thank god I bittorrented the show instead of watching it live so it took me 20 minutes to watch the finale instead of an hour. I guess the only reason the show was renewed is because even though it has low ratings, it costs next to nothing to produce.

May 19 2006 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

Once we saw all the inventions for the first time, this show was just horribly painful to watch. That was the only interesting part, seeing the good and bad inventions. The weeding out process was poorly produced, and incredibly boring. If they bring the show back, it needs a lot of work.

May 19 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bex

Four. 4%. 100-48-48=4.

May 19 2006 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miguel

Francisco's bike didn't win because it is already being sold by another company. There is nothing original about it.

May 19 2006 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Watson

Jerry Rice? He must really miss being in the limelight LOL, first the dancing thing now this

May 19 2006 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shelley

I love this show, its JUST what this country needs, showing imagination, creativity, sacrifice and passion, sometime even to the point of obsession.

i would like to see an special edition series just for the kids, maybe not as extensive and maybe during in the summer.

i am so glad that the four finalist got the opportunities they truly deserved. i think 11 of the 12 semifinal products were worthy of production, only the unbrella was stupid thanks to simon cowell for an entertaining show, there was nothing funnier on on tv than some of these inventions, like the fart filter or the red bow lingerie

May 19 2006 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Yes Janusz did really invent his device. There are numerous differences between his device and the "Safety Egg"

AND, the show was already light years ahead of "diggnation"--

Posted at http://www.doughall.com/soapbox/ almost a full month ago:

5. What about this product called “the SafetyEgg” isn’t it the same thing?

The egg uses the same dynamics of dissipating momentum as Anecia. However, in my opinion it falls short as it only protects in two dimensions – front to back and side to side. This is fine if your accident is a direct hit from these directions – AND if the car doesn’t SPIN when it’s hit. While I’ve never been in a crash in the Safety Egg – I think that it would be like the feeling when on a roller coaster and the direction is suddenly changed – as the seat went from one direction to the next the shock on the body could be tremendous.

The SafetyEgg movement is limited by the sets of two perpendicular hinges.
The Anecia Survival Capsule is free floating hemisphere seat inside of the hemisphere protecting shell.

The beauty of Anecia is that it works in 360 degrees – with no limitations. No matter what direction the car is hit from, or how the car spins the seat will dissipate the force of the collision.

IN ADDITION – the SafetyEgg’s smaller size increases the potential for danger i.e. if the seat were to get caught or hit something as it spun the benefits of the seat would be compromised. Alternatively, the Anecia protects the footprint creating a complete safety zone.

# posted by Doug Hall @ 7:15 PM
Tuesday, April 25, 2006

May 19 2006 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j quality

its really hard to say its true. i've thought and drawn out an invention and found out a few months later on the local news that a local(or somewhere in the state) man, had already made it and was selling it. i've never seen it anywhere, then there it is on the news.

May 19 2006 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply