October 22, 2014

David Milch says: yup, Deadwood is gone

by Bob Sassone, posted May 18th 2006 2:42PM
Deadwood

David Milch pretty much confirms the news we posted last week, that Deadwood will vanish after this third season. And in true Deadwood fashion, Milch had this to say:

"How &%$#@! is it that we're not coming back?"

Milch also confirms that it was HBO that decided not to pick up the options on the cast, which freed the actors to go look for other work. Milch doesn't sound too happy about it, but he's still busy. He's working on the new surfer drama John From Cincinnati, which the same network is interested in.

A_74

IS A NEPOTIST AT THE HELM OF HBO?

It is curious that Chris Albrecht activates a publicity blitz for Entourage, which STARS HIS DAUGHTER, and cancels Season 4 Of Deadwood.

To offer to end the series with two movies is an insult to the superlative quality, critical acclaim and loyal following of this show.

NO MORE DEADWOOD?
NO MORE HBO!

July 03 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ahalya

On why HBO's future rests on Deadwood why its new show, John from Cincinnati (also penned by David Milch) will fail:

If HBO is going to invest in a new show by David Milch, John from Cincinnati, it is going to need to piggyback on the existing fan base of Deadwood. Given the complex brilliance of Milch's narratives, it is highly doubtful that the demographic tuning into Entourage or Lucky Louie will also tune into John from Cincinnati. Indeed, it is the fans of Deadwood, who are completely in awe of Milch's creative prowess past, present and future, who will morph into the viewer base of John from Cincinnati. Alienating them now will be a foolish move on HBO's part, but that is exactly what HBO has done by refusing to renew Deadwood for its final Season 4. The two-part movie deal is a slap in the face of viewers who expected, until a few weeks ago, to be seen through a season of Deadwood beyond Season 3. Besides, the movies are like a distant mirage, a ploy on HBO's part to deflect attention away from the negative press and angry fan mail it has received on account of its fiasco over Deadwood. No one, least of all Chris Albrecht, believes that they will get made.

Deadwood fans are not fooled. They do not expect any more Deadwood beyond Season 3, and will cancel HBO soon afterwards. After all, what does HBO have to offer them? Another sub-par season of Sopranos? The very mediocre - Desperate Housewives-Utah Edition - Big Love? The revisionist wanna-be, Rome? Perhaps another offering from Milch, John from Cincinnati, is what will keep them on board with HBO, but not if HBO shows them no regard by canceling Deadwood. After all, based on HBO's history with Milch, what is to say that it will not pull John from Cincinnati after a season or two?

All in all, Deadwood fans will boycott John from Cincinnati. That show is doomed. So if it is the bottom line that HBO is concerned about, they should cancel John from Cincinnati even before it begins production. Or bring Deadwood back for its final fourth season.

NO DEADWOOD = NO JOHN FROM CINCINNATI

IT IS TIME FOR CHRIS ALBRECHT TO STEP DOWN.
IT IS TIME TO BRING BACK SEASON 4 OF DEADWOOD.

June 17 2006 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

I really think that what HBO is doing is a travesty and an injustice to not only the cast and crew but to the fans of such an amazing show. I only just discovered Deadwood 2 weeks ago but spent an entire Saturday watching season 1 on DVD. My brother turned me onto this show and I haven't looked back. After I took in all of season 1, I went out and purchsed season 2. I only wish I had known about this show earlier. I was just going to subscribe to HBO for the specific reason of watching season 3 but then I hear that Deadwood is well dead wood. I can't believe it. Just when I got into it and actually cared about the characters, BAM, its over. I am a father of two young children and don't have a lot of free time. That being said, whenever I have had free time I have been sure to take in an episode on DVD. I am as anxious as a kid on Christmas morning at the beginning of every episode and by the end, I am NOT disappointed only wanting more,. Thanks HBO, for taking away THE BEST show on TV and a piece of my free time. You can forget about me ever subscribing now!!!

June 14 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara E Henry

FLASH!!! UPDATE!!!

The good folks at Save Deadwood (http://savedeadwood.net/index.htm)
have started another website to launch National Cancel HBO Day - NO MO HBO at http://www.hbonomo.com/

All HBO subcribers should be concerned with this -- YOUR shows may be next to be mutilated!

May 24 2006 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara E Henry

If you want to help us place an ad in "Variety," which will show how serious we are about saving "Deadwood," emabarass the suits at HBO and Paramount, and get us some more media attention, please make a pledge here (any amount will help!!!):

May 21 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Thomas

HBO sounds like they think they're the only station on the air. I do believe they going to be in for a reality check the Monday after Season 3 Episode 12 airs and they lose a portion of their subscribers to cancellations ...

May 20 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

Canceling Season 4 of Deadwood may be the straw that broke the camel's back. HBO used to have a stellar reputation for their original programming but when they canceled Carnivale mid thrust something started to smell rotten in Denmark. They have now developed a bad habit...this Deadwood cancellation marks the second in a row.
Deadwood had set itself apart as one of the best, if not the best series ever on the large or small screen. The ensemble winning Peabody, Golden Globe and Emmy Awards testifies to the excellence of the cast and crew. Yet HBO summarily dismissed it without resolution of this fine series. Perhaps it is time we dismiss HBO? They have proved to us that watching any of their series will not guarantee that the series will be allowed to find resolution- so why invest?

May 19 2006 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Deadwood is the best show on TV! Soprano's sucks this year. What is happening to HBO! We have to do what we can to save deadwood!

May 19 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry L. Graham

While I was in negotiations with my financial director (Wife), I was forced to drop a premium channel from our cable subscription. I dropped Cinemax because HBO had "Deadwood." Now that this situation appears to have changed, so shall my choice of premium channels. As soon as the last episode of season three has aired, I, along with "Deadwood," will be history.

May 19 2006 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Kopco

I am sad beyond belief that corporate suits are once again destroying a masterpiece. However, I will not cancel HBO until the day after the last episode of Deadwood airs. All of the work that we (Jerry mostly, me sometimes, Paul all of the time, Kate, Anne, Darrel, Arlette, David W.) have done should be enjoyed. Milch, Deadwood producers, marketing staff, cast, crew have been nothing but lovely to us. I will not dishonor them for anything. The most important thing we can do is stand together, voice our support, and if that doesn't work, boycott HBO afterward.

May 18 2006 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply